New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing better at the end of the day after hunting then getting into some warm dry cloths, taking a hot shower and filling your face with a huge mushroom covered steak with gravy soaked potatoes and corn then sitting beside the fireplace or woodstove and giving your rifle a wipedown before going to bed and starting all over again the next morning. Only one thing missing... a drink to help warm your insides and help you get to sleep. Some like hot chocolate, some wiskey, others beer, but I love a good warm hot tottie. A few cups of Apple cider (with the mother in it) half a stick of cinnamon, quarter of a vanilla bean and 2 shots of brandy/cup. I warm up the brany and cider in a pot with the vanilla bean, then put in my John deere mug with half a cinnamon stick and watch the fire crackle... not long and I am ready for bed.
Anyone else have a drink of choice for after a cold wet day in the woods?

·
Registered
271 Posts
My favorite has to be some bottled mackerel with some sweet potatoes and a little bit of Sailor Jerry to top it off

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a fine premium single malt scotch for me. It's the only time I buy a bottle.
Get back to base, put on the dry, warm and clean sweat pants, sweat shirt and footwear and pour a nice double of Glen Levitt or Glen Fiddich, with a touch of ginger ale and lots of ice.
I do this before anything else just about each evening of the hunt.
Sometimes I'll do it twice, the second time leaving out the part about the pants, shirt and footwear.

Only then do I start supper, chores, etc....

·
Registered
71 Posts
After gettin' the dry stuff on next comes the drink [CAPTAIN MORGAN SPICED RUM AND GINGERALE ON ICE].Thats when we start puttin' on a feed usually steak or chops with potatoes and carrots,biscuits and always... always lots of hot gravy.This is usually followed by some more "spiced & ginger" and a few games of 31's.....Hit the sack and do it again tomorrow.Can't wait!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hot chocolate (with milk, not water) and a shot or two of wiskey.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nothin like havin a beer beside the woodstove after comin in from the marsh, or a big mug of hot chocolate with a couple shots of Baileys

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
maybe a beer or 2 at most but once the deer is hanging the bottle of rye comes out

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Depends on the circumstances. A good bottle of Shiraz with a hearty meal in deer camp with friends, chased by a nightcap of Captain Morgan Yellow Spiced or Crown Royal for me helps me doze off before the snorers...

Out West, we like to polish off the Wisers.....frequently! At sometimes -40 below with windchill, it really warms the hunting spirits after a day afield lol!

If we get a deer, we always crack open a bottle of.....bubbly!! Really not my thing, but eh, who am I to change a 40 yr old tradition? The wisers come out soonafter lol!

Did I mention beer thrown in there on an ''as required basis"?

I love Scotch when salmon fishing, very traditional I guess. If I go out on an all day salmon fishing excursion with my dad, I make sure to bring a full Thermos of hot Tea...nothing beats sitting on the lyar's bench with my dad and sipping a good cup of tea looking at the river. We also break for tea when out on the trapline.

These are the moments while outdoors that I remember most and cherish most, even more than harvesting a critter or catching a fish, a moment of solace contemplating the surrounding beauty of the land, shared with a good friend or family member, who equally appreciates this gift we have of understanding and respecting such peace and beauty.

Get out there and enjoy the NB outdoors, this is my magical time of year!

Prediction: fall foliage (Northern half) will be mostly gone by end of next week this year, due to extended dry spell we had in summer, combined with heavy rains and some cold mornings on the way next week. If you want to appreciate this incredible fall bouquet of colors, I suggest you get out Sunday after the rain for a few photos, she's gonna go quick after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts