New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here fabricate their own farming disk or drag? I have an idea but wondering what others are using to work the soil for those hard to get food plots.

·
Registered
404 Posts
anyone here fabricate their own farming disk or drag? I have an idea but wondering what others are using to work the soil for those hard to get food plots.
What are you going to haul it with? Probably easiest to find old no longer used horse equipement(could haul with atv) and just modify slightly . There should be lots of old sets of disks and springtooth harrows not being used that a person could get for little or nothing then just narrow it up a little if you can't pull it . One section of an old spike tooth harow ( about 4'x4' should be pretty easy to get around and haul by an atv, one side pretty agressive the other more for finishing or covering . I used one to mahe the lawn at my camp . did a great job ,hauled with an old honda 4 wheeler ( much easier than floating the tractor up there)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have an old big red 250cc, what ever I get or build can't be too aggressive, if I have to make additional passes not a big deal to me, gas in that thing is pretty cheap. Buddy has an old set that he modified for his 4 wheeler but it is way too big for my big red, it has something like 24 inch discs on it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have an old big red 250cc, what ever I get or build can't be too aggressive, if I have to make additional passes not a big deal to me, gas in that thing is pretty cheap. Buddy has an old set that he modified for his 4 wheeler but it is way too big for my big red, it has something like 24 inch discs on it.
24" disks must have been off larger equipement usually a lot of the old horse stuff probably was 10-12" disks . You could probably install a set of wheels on it to prevent it from going down to deep till it is worked up softer . With disk harrows the heavier it is and the more of a "v" shape the sets make the more they will cut but the harder it will be to haul . If you could find an old set of spring tooth harrows (teeth are made in the shape of a"c" )might be your best bet . They were the most comon old harrows around usually were 10'-12' wide but made in three or four sections about3'-4' wide . just get one secion and haul it with a chain behind the bike . they have a long handle with notches to set the depth . moved right up you could haul it verry easily then keep dropping the setting as it becomes more loosened up. Every old farm/gardener had or has one of these around . You can forget about hauling any 1-2 sod plows with your bike though .

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya it was, it had 3 other sections, think it was a total of 12 feet.. he ended up selling the other sections and kept the one... that's an option, spring tooth harrow. I've been looking on kijiji but haven't been able to find too much on there, and what is there, in my opinion is way too expensive.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a drag and a two harrow plow that I will sell you, old farming equipment just sitting up at the camp!
Bearhunter, can you give me an idea of what you have, pics would be nice or some kind of visual reference that is similar to what you have. Let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
ya it was, it had 3 other sections, think it was a total of 12 feet.. he ended up selling the other sections and kept the one... that's an option, spring tooth harrow. I've been looking on kijiji but haven't been able to find too much on there, and what is there, in my opinion is way too expensive.
Honestly I think what you are going to find advertised is going to be to expesive for what you want it for .I think your best luck would be to go for a drive and stop and talk to some people that live were it would apear that they once kept some animals or had a big garden or at some old farm yards .What you need to find is someone that owns an old property that has old equipement just hanging around that would give it away . I am sure there are lots around just may take a little looking to find . Wouldn't hurt to check with some farmers a lot of times the old stuff just got out of the way because it became worn out or to small.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya I agree, going for a drive and locating some old farms or properties would be best... but getting the itch to build a foodplot this year.. I CAN"T WAIT!!! LOL LOL but for the right price I can wait...

·
Registered
404 Posts
ya I agree, going for a drive and locating some old farms or properties would be best... but getting the itch to build a foodplot this year.. I CAN"T WAIT!!! LOL LOL but for the right price I can wait...
Maybe take a drive down through Alma , must be some old junk down that way not being used, was down there this summer for a wedding ,lots of old places in that country . P.S. I think there is an equipement scrap yard ( used tractor parts guy )in the sussex area.

·
Registered
404 Posts
How big of a plot do you think your gonna try? got it cleared out yet or is it an old clearing? Any thoughts on what you will plant? Did you say you did one with a buddy already , how did it turn out / good wildlife results?? is it on your own place ? just curious.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping to have an acre set up by late spring/early summer.... setting it up on an old log landing on a property I own.. so it's mostly cleared.. only have about a dozen medium size spruce trees to cut down. Then I'll be renting a mini excavator to rip up any stumps and to level it off... need a harrow or disk plow to rough up the soil a bit before planting. Not sure what I'm planting yet, getting some assistance from Bowtech, from what I've read he has a pretty good green thumb. Ya buddy did try but he didn't fertilize and to my understanding, not much grew.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe take a drive down through Alma , must be some old junk down that way not being used, was down there this summer for a wedding ,lots of old places in that country . P.S. I think there is an equipement scrap yard ( used tractor parts guy )in the sussex area.
ya there is, i believe it's on the old highway before getting to sussex and just after or near the campground.. I'll have to check that out too

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

Don't know how well it will show up but there is a spike tooth harrow section here and also a drag. The drag was home built, I think I have a better closer pic of it at work and I'll check today. Bolts were inserted into the bottom so they stick out 4" and it's pretty heavy. Works well hauled behind a wheeler to smooth things down.

The guy you're thinking of off the old highway near Penobsquis is Tom Lask, Farmers Service & Supply Ltd, 432-6467

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info BT, that's the guy I was thinking about, just couldn't remember the business name. That drag, what size of post did you use to build that, 4x4 or 6x6? did you buy that disc plow locally? roughly how much $? I wonder if the old big red would pull a small section of that spike tooth harrow..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes I remember you, i put the motor, bumper and rims on the ford I had built.. my truck looked good.. then the damn thing was stolen in december 2009... no theft insurance....

anyhow... would you be able to find some pics online that would be similar to what you have?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Stolen? Have you heard anything since? Wasnt aware this type of stuff still happens.

DOubt I can find pics as these are from the 50's or earlier

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stolen? Have you heard anything since? Wasnt aware this type of stuff still happens.

DOubt I can find pics as these are from the 50's or earlier
ya been alot of vehicles being stolen lately, check the offroad site, you see it often now... got the tires back, they were for sale on kijiji.. had cops involved.... but they couldn't track back to where the tires came from... bullshit really..

for the disk harrow, do you remember roughly how big the disc is? how wide? how many rows of discs? how big diameter (roughly) the disks are, ie: 10 inch or 12 inch or bigger?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts