New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
For hunting is a fast bow or a quiet bow more important to you. To me I will take a quiet bow over a fast one for hunting.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think quiet is a very important and often overlooked thing, Thats why i whent with my pse axe, it is quiet and fast. If your a good shot and dont take bad shots, It shouldnt matter anyways, the arrow will get 20 yards, fast outa any of todays bows. I think most of this jumping the string thing is because the deer was looking at the hunter, and the sound any sound no matter how quiet causes the deer to jump the string, This is what i have come to conclusion after watching many deer hunting shows, most deer that move at the shot are on high alert. So i dont think quiet is the most important, theres no argument bowtech is defitnaly a litle quieter then my pse, but ill take all the other things my bow offers ME over that anyday of the week. No question to ME that is, everyone has there opinion

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think that speed is important, more or less to the style of hunting you do. A fast arrow on longer shots (like stalking open ground)is good...and certainly can't hurt for close tree stand shots either. As long as it doesn't come at the expense of a smooth draw. Difficult shooting angles,cold weather, cramped stiff muscles etc. I like a bow with at least 280 fps "actual hunting arrow" speeds... at 60 lbs draw. And a smooth cam cycle. I know that this is not (real "speed bow" speed)....but is entirely sufficient for me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree with archery nut i think that most bows are quiet enough, that arrow should be into him before he hears it under good circumstances, even if you bow is below 280 fps

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree with archery nut i think that most bows are quiet enough, that arrow should be into him before he hears it under good circumstances, even if you bow is below 280 fps
Considering the speed of sound is 1,126 ft/s, which is just over 4X your 280 ft/s, then the deer is gonna hear it long before your arrow gets to him. To put it in prospective your arrow hasn't got to 10 yards on a 40 yard shot before the deer hears the shot.

There isn't many gonna get 280ft/s out of a 60lb hunting rig without jumping up to a speed bow, even the Guardian which is IBO/ATA at 318-326 is only gonna give 272ft/s with a 28" draw at 60lbs with a medium weight hunting shaft so your gonna have to get a bow shooting over an IBO of 330 ft/s to come close to 280ft/s for most archers.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ya he may hear it, but if hes not on alert, he aint gonna react that fast, It would take him that split second. I dunno I would be more worried about shooting at the deer on alert, But sometimes, well ya i dont wanna say have to but sometimes ya feel the need to, The buck i shot this year was 52 yards, broadside, and well i hate to say it he was on alert, But as bad as it sounds, after 20 some days of chasing this buck i couldnt let him walk, So i shot while on alert, And he did not react until the arrow was about 3/4 the way there, And i personaly could hear my arrow flying, and sort of whisling, and he turn, and hit him infront of the shoulder as now he was quartering to, Fortunaly The momentum of my arrow, worked its was threw on a complete pass threw, The deer did not here the bow, he heard my arrow, I witnessed it, Now im a litle worried about the g5 montech im shooting because they are noisy read some reviews on them and youll see im not the only one saying so, its to bad cuz they fly like darts.

Either way we will both kill deer with our favorite bows, weither i like yours or you like mine, there no argument, both will get the job done with ease.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I heard some of the older style montecs whistled some but they supposedly fixed that with the newer ones. I don't know, my brother has some of the older ones but they don't seem to whistle at all, maybe they will on faster bows. If they are older Montecs maybe you could see if you can find some new ones and try them before you switch. Make sure you check the package though as many places will still be carrying the older models which they will be shoving out the door first.

That was the main reason I stopped using feathers as well on my arrows. Even though they are faster initialy than plastic vanes they whistled in flight and I didn't like that.

If they don't work go MUZZY!!!

Good luck!

PS deer reaction time is 1/10th of a second, your arrow is still behind the 10 yard line

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
lol ya more then likely there the older ones, Im looking into the slick trix actually guys on at love em, im gonna buy 2 pacts and try em out, i use to like mechs but cant stand em now to much worry for my liken

·
Registered
495 Posts
PS deer reaction time is 1/10th of a second, your arrow is still behind the 10 yard line
At 30 yards, according to Software for Archers, my setup puts an arrow into the animal in .03 seconds. Given that the arrow is behind the 10 yard line at .01 seconds, it is still almost 1/3 of the way there. .02 seconds is not a lot of time to move, even if the deer were to spring at the moment of initial sound reaching it. I don't think it could move out of line of impact in .02 seconds.

I think arrow speed is important, obviously sound is also important, but I think that if a deer heard a subtle sound, it would flick its ears to hear it, to its obvious detriment.

I did not realize they had a .01 reaction time, food for thought... or freezer

·
Registered
495 Posts
Google string jumping and you'll be amazed how low a deer can get when it thinks it's in danger. It's a bit of a myth that they are ducking the arrow, I beleive it's a primitive response to danger, one embedded in their genes, duck, turn and run. The first thing any animal or person has to do to move is load their muscles, the fastest way is to drop then spring into motion. From the video's you'll see, it's very effective for arrows as well as predator evasion. However, I have shot at a few deer, factored in the drop and missed because they didn't duck or move

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't know Bow-man there is lots of video to show they can... and do. I remember reading Chuck Adam's Bowhunting Digest and back in the day with slower bows 18 yards was the critical distance where the deer could not evade the arrow. Today with faster bows it is further but remember that he only has to duck 1/2 the kill zone for you to have the arrow either miss or make a non vital hit if your aiming the center of the kill area so even a bow shooting over 300 ft/s isn't going to be fast enough at 30m.

Pulled this from American Hunter on "The Science of String Jumping"

...I recently performed a mathematical study to determine how far a deer can drop between the time it hears the shot and the arrival of the arrow. Of course, a faster arrow gets to the deer sooner so the deer doesn't drop as far. This is especially important, in my opinion, on shots from 25 to 35 yards. At this distance, the deer is close enough to hear even a quiet bow, yet it is far enough that it can drop a good distance.

I had to make a few assumptions to come up with final numbers. For example, I estimated that it takes a deer .15 second to begin moving after the bow fires. This includes the time it takes for sound to reach the deer when it is 30 yards away. My estimate is based on the number of frames from the video we counted from the bow firing until the bucks started to drop.

Using this approach, I determined that, at 30 yards from a treestand, a deer can drop roughly 14.8 inches by the time an arrow moving at 260 fps gets to it. A deer may even begin to turn slightly by the time the arrow makes it there...

14.8" puts you completely off the deer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Again try not to shoot when the deer is on alert, Most videos ive seen where the jump occurs the deer, also has a visual of the hunter, the speed of sight is faster then the speed of sound im pretty sure lol.

·
Registered
495 Posts
14.8" puts you completely off the deer.
Yeah, that's a long way off target, 260 fps on an arrow is a realistic speed too.

I have come to the conclusion that;

Deer apparently are part Jackie Chan, part Chuck Norris... and perhaps a bit Spiderman.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Im not good with all the science bs behind it i just no where my arrows are going and thats good enough for me, but im just curious to the amount of drop from the speed increase

1 - 20 of 35 Posts