New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets post some pics of your favorite deer call grunts, bleats and etc. Try to help out some less experienced hunters out.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've had a grunt call since they first hit the market as the latest greatest new gadget 20 sum(?) years ago now and long before every deer hunter in North America had one hanging around their neck,haha....
My first was a Knight&Hale back then.....think I might still have it but it sounds like crap now,to my ears at least,although I've grunted up several deer with it back in the day.
Have had a dozen or so others since then,mini grunter that's easy to hold in teeth when drawing a bow...a wrist mounted medium size grunter,again,can blow it at full draw,and half a dozen others at least,usually bought on the road when I somehow forget to pack one or three on a hunt trip,duh.....or on sale in a clearance bin somewhere,again,I can never have too many,I try to keep one in truck all fall and another one or two in packs and still somehow find myself in woods without one FFS!
Hands down favorite is HS True Talker,really nice,deep,guttural,authentic sound IMHO,it's a single reed in a wooden barrel with obligatory plastic windpipe tube,all enclosed in a rubbery/latex type of sheath.
The new generation HS TTs are brown/tan and a bit different then the Gen 1 black rubber calls which I think sound better if you can still find one even.....that said,I seen some black ones in a clearance bin awhile back this summer,money was tight that day or I'd have bought a lifetime supply,lol.
All said and done,I really prefer a deep and loud grunter and the TT is closest I've found to imitating a real live buck tending a doe.....hint.....you likely cannot with any commercial grunt tube produce even half the volume and noise that a super horned up buck with his nose up a hot doe's tail makes as he chases her around. ;)
That said,sometimes less is more and make him search for you.....but during peak rut I often call blind to unseen deer,doing my best rendition of a an excited buck tending a hot doe and have had pretty good results at times.
I seriously feel naked deer hunting without my favorite or at least any old grunt call and it somewhat shakes my confidence and spirit to be without I've had so many positive results with them over the years...I use them all season long and frequently throughout day,often while stillhunting,when I step on/snap a branch unintentionally etc.....they certainly don't come running every time you breathe into it,but often enough that I hate hunting without it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use that exact black HS TT. It's my favorite also. Tried the MADD buck growl when it first hit and did get a nice big buck that year but nothing in the years following until it disintergrated. Though I got one that first go, i can't be sure the MADD call had anything to do with it. I didn't like the growl itself because it just didn't feel right to me and the regular grunt sounded like crap out of it but, like I said, I did get a buck and... it was just minutes after blowing the darn Growl that I didn't like and there were 2 other bucks in the valley. That kept me using it until it broke but then I went back to the HS TT for the same reason you like it. To me its the most authentic sounding contraption I can use and I don't feel like I've blown my cover whenever I use it like I did with the growl and it has produced some action over the years.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
used them before they were commercial. My dad used to cut two pieces of wood and they would shape them and put an elastic in between. Used to be a fair doe bleat

Now I use a primos Grunt Wheeze and doe-in-heat can call

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yup....I like the old elastic calls,and the bleat cans too.....TrueTalker still my favorite/go-to for most situations,but they all have their appropriate time and place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts