New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw 16 turkeys between McAdam and Thomaston Corner, yesterday, in Christie Ridge. The people that live alonh that stretch of road are putting feed out for them. It may be part of the flock I got pictures of last summer. Even though they are being fed they are still quite wary and run or fly if you try to get close. I was using a 10X zoom for all the pictures, some came out a bit fuzzy as I didn't have my tripod with me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live close to this area and have had these birds in my yard many times. We never feed them but they still show up every so often and have been doing so for the last year and a half or so. One day the tom attacked the bumper on my truck when he seen his own reflection, it was very funny, my wife and I had a good ole laugh.

As far as I know no one has shot any of them, like they have in other places. If they are left alone for awhile, maybe someday there will be a season. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've also seen a flock near to the St. Stephen area as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I saw those birds Jan 30th on my way back from McAdam. They were wary. We stopped alongside the road to get a few pics, and they took off in a string across the yard, across the driveway, then in behind the neighbors house. Neat to see!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice grab sako and thanks for sharing.
We raised a few (9) here at the house,not often you would see them up in the trees in daylight.
Was it early morning/evening?
Ours would scamper away when you went outside even after a year and a half but after a bit if I was working in the yard would come back and hang around as long as you didn't pay too much attention to them.
Even though they would roam a long ways they were home everynight to roost in our big pine,except once when they were treed by a dog.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Looks like those birds are fairing the winter OK. Deep snow doesn't both turkeys as long as it is hard enough for them to walk on. It's the deep powdery snow that they sink into and is difficult for them to walk. The tickets for the Saint John NWTF Banquet (to be held on Saturday 02 April) will be passed out this week. I would encourage everyone to attend. Last year we had several politicians in attendance and there is no better way to let them know how many folks want wild turkeys here than to tell them in person. Even if you don't want to speak to anyone just your attendance at this event lets them know how much interest there is in this issue.

Bill G.

·
Registered
31 Posts
where is the meeting gonna be cuz I would love to show some support on this idea. I'm only a half hour outta saint john so I would like to attend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The NWTF SJRV Chapter meeeting will be at Dooley's in Grandbay/Westfield at 6:30 PM on Wednesday 02 Feb. We are always welcoming new mbrs so if anyone would like to attend please do so. It's not really that big a committment, sell whatever tickets you can, help out with a banquet. Whatever anyone can do is much appreciated.

Bill G.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Due to the impending storm forecast for Wednesday 02 Feb the Saint John NWTF meeting has been changed to Tuesday 08 Feb at 6PM, Same location Dooley's in Grandbay/Westfield.

Bill G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts