New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me when i should fill my doe tag. it seems to early in the season to fill it and i know there is bucks in the area that i am in. but i do not know how to tell the rut has started and when to start using scents and calls. i have an apple pile out and sat in my stand for the first 4 days dusk till dawn and only saw does and fawns. does anyone know when the bucks might start moving more or have any tips that could help me bring one in if so great. and if i dont see any bucks when would be a good time to say "ok time to fill the doe tag so i can have at least some good venison meat in the freezer"

Also there is a porcupine in my stand i ahve only seen him once in 4 days but will this effect my deer?? and if so what should be done?

Can anyone help thanks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
well..the best time for me is the last week...
but by that time i dont usually see too many...so i come up short!
but seeing them all season is just as fun....only thing is that it leaves my stomach growling lol!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that is your call...myself i usually don't get a buck until around second week of november for some reason every year. If i ever get one early it is usually hunting in a new area and one of those be there at the right time moments. I think it is becasue of where I hunt. The bucks usually visit these areas more often when the rut is on, or at least hang around longer in the am to see what has been bedding down. During the early season the bucks I find are still their usual way just milling through the woods in hiding and not as active. The thing is if you have a doe around you are probly going to get a view of the buck sometime...it is just being there at the right time. I would hang out for the buck for a bit, the doe should not go anywhere unless someone else gets to her first...good luck

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well that is your call...myself i usually don't get a buck until around second week of november for some reason every year. If i ever get one early it is usually hunting in a new area and one of those be there at the right time moments. I think it is becasue of where I hunt. The bucks usually visit these areas more often when the rut is on, or at least hang around longer in the am to see what has been bedding down. During the early season the bucks I find are still their usual way just milling through the woods in hiding and not as active. The thing is if you have a doe around you are probly going to get a view of the buck sometime...it is just being there at the right time. I would hang out for the buck for a bit, the doe should not go anywhere unless someone else gets to her first...good luck
Jumpin's, boys! If you've got does around you don't want to shoot, let me at 'em!
I'd rather be duck hunting than spending every day all cramped up in a tree waiting for my doe to pop out!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
entirely up to you! If you want some nice tender meat in the freezer then shoot a doe. If you want to wait for a buck then ride that doe tag until at least the 4th week

For me personally assuming I have a doe tag which I do not this year. Nov 11 is the magical date. Anytime after that a mature doe is in trouble if she keeps coming in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Brown,

I don't think the porcupine would present any problems. The deer aren't gonna try and kiss him, but they won't give that wide of a birth to such a slow non-agressive crawler.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you want to fill your doe tag go ahead.
If you are wanting a buck and using that for insurance be prepared to eat tag soup cause that could happen.

Me myself, I like meat in the freezer and look at the time I have to hunt. Unless I am hunting a big buck I would seriously try to fill my doe tag at the 1/2 way point of days off and hunting days.
Best of luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jumpin's, boys! If you've got does around you don't want to shoot, let me at 'em!
I'd rather be duck hunting than spending every day all cramped up in a tree waiting for my doe to pop out!
well I have only been out for about 2 hrs so far this year....if i let ya shoot his doe he will move on..I don't get too serious until third week and then I only go out in the am a few times a week..if I don't get him we will wait for another year...because I know this fellow can't handle sitting in a stand for any longer then a few hrs in the am anymore...

·
Registered
358 Posts
well I have only been out for about 2 hrs so far this year....if i let ya shoot his doe he will move on..I don't get too serious until third week and then I only go out in the am a few times a week..if I don't get him we will wait for another year...because I know this fellow can't handle sitting in a stand for any longer then a few hrs in the am anymore...
I can't shoot a doe now. Shot a button buck this morning.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you ask he NB Deer Biologist Rod Cumberland, his wish is everyone with an antlerless tag would take an antlerless deer. They base the draw numbers on how many antlerless deer they would like removed from the population.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you ask he NB Deer Biologist Rod Cumberland, his wish is everyone with an antlerless tag would take an antlerless deer. They base the draw numbers on how many antlerless deer they would like removed from the population.
Id be pretty sure they would never base thier numbers on everyone shooting an antlerless deer. More willing to bet its based on a percentage. Just saying.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know Rod personally, just telling you what he told me, "if you get a "doe" tag, I wish you would take a doe" He said that's what they base the numbers on, I agree, I'm sure they are not expecting 100% of those "doe" tags to be filled but it's what they "BASE" the numbers on.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
They base the doe tag numbers on the average doe harvest per year VS what they want taken. As 4everhtn said it is a percentage. If does harvest is 30% and they want 3000 does taken then they issue 10000 tags or whatever it works out to.

G

·
I 'm hoping to fill my allocated doe tag for Saint John zone this weekend if the weather clears up for Sat and Sunday. Two friends hunting the "urban sprawl" areas of Quispamsis/Dralings Island, and there is NO SHORTAGE of deer there.

Figure DNR gave me a tag...might as well use it now instead of waiting till the last 2 days of the season and getting skunked like other years.

AND...I have a new Outdoor Edge knife set (birthday present from Momma Bear) that Im dying to try out on a self-butchering endeavour. If it goes well, I may never go to a butcher again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
AND...I have a new Outdoor Edge knife set (birthday present from Momma Bear) that Im dying to try out on a self-butchering endeavour. If it goes well, I may never go to a butcher again.
Once you get used to cutting your own deer, you will never have one "BUTCHERED" again!!!!!!

G

·
Thanks 300RUM,

Thats what I hear. I've been doing a little research on it this fall / watched a few videos, etc, looks pretty straight forward. Plus I'm pretty fussy when it comes to cleaning,skinning, cooling, hanging, trimming, fat, etc with deer so figured might as well dive into the next step and learn how to process it myself.

Now...if I could just get a doe to present me with a good bow opportunity Sat night/Sunday or Monday I'll be in business. Had a few golden opportunities early in the season but the warm daily temps would have made for a rushed job ( I hate that part of early bow season...always a panic to get it in a cold room ). Sunday and next week should have better daytime high temps (below 10 deg and -2 at night)...that will allow for some worry-free hang time (cold) and time to cut and package without the stress of meat spoiling in the heat.

I'll see if I can snap a few pics during the process.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Tracey you just stated the 1 reason I will use a butcher...weather. Warm temps are not good
I don't have anywhere to hang a deer for several days if the weather warms if it stays cold I do it all myself
I also debone the deer instead of cutting the bone for every steak, quicker and easier

cut up the backstraps into steaks
cut all the good steaks off the hind quarters and the rests gets bottled or ground up into sausage

I usually take the front quarters and cut most of that up into 1 inch cubes and bottle it

whatever is left gets ground up and made into sausages. I have a hand grinder that works ok and was fairy inexpensive and I just make sausage patties and don't bother with the casings.

it takes me between 3-4 hours to get a deer cut up.

I bought a roll of butcher wrap paper and us that to wrap my steaks. Picked a roll up a few seasons ago at the Cash&Cary place in Moncton on corner of St. George BLVD and Vaughn Harvey, 1 roll goes a long way

1 - 20 of 25 Posts