New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a tough year for deer hunting so far. I've hunted the big woods a lot as I like to do but the deer sightings are discouraging. I have only seen 1 deer, a doe and 11 moose all cows and calves. Well today I had an 1 1/2 hours to hunt, from 7:30 to 9:00. I took a short drive out back to a spot where I always see deer. I sat on the ground infront of a big pine which gave me the best visibility of the intersecting trails. I decided to rattle to stir things up to see what would happen. Ten minutes later I grunted a few times. Minutes after that I spot movement down to my left where I came from. I could see a couple deer moving but couldn't make them out with my binos. I gave 2 more toots on the grunt call and they swung up towards me. First 2 were a doe and kid. 3rd one was a doe and she was acting very frisky. She stops and looks behind her and then I see a 4th one coming. She takes off running and a buck (3 point) comes in on her trail. They get out of sight but I could still here them. She then comes back at around 25 feet away and she's sniffing and her mouth is partly opened in the back. That little buck must be running her good. She then squats and pees not 5 ft from a scrape. I'm on the ground and there is nothing between us. she even looks at me then turns around and bucks and runs up in the woods. As I watch her go I see another deer coming back down towards me. It's the 3 point again. He comes in at 20 ft. away sniffing around. He's all sweated up, neck swelled, a gorgeous looking little buck. He then looks at me and then just continues on down to where he came from. Thank god for camo, it did the trick. A few minutes later that doe runs up over a knoll to the right of me and out of sight. 5 minutes go by again and I spot a deer again down to my left, I then here one grunt and I don't see that deer again. A minute goes by and what I think was that doe again follows on the same path as that buck. I grunted again but got no response. She's got to be in heat or mighty close to it. I did go down to where she peed and rolled in it like a dog
. It was a short hunt but a good one.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good to hear NBbucks!!! I have only seen 2 moose and a coyote. Got pics of deer, bears, coyotes, raccoons and a porcupine on cam...but that is it!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep at it NBB! Sooner or later a shooter will show up!
...So you must be sleeping "outdoors" tonight eh?
Hmmmmmmm, that sounds like a plan!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts