New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a grouse hunt up north this fall (zone 2-3). As I know the area quite well, I would also like to setup for a bear hunt on the same week (hunting grouse in the morning, bear in the afternoon).

I will only have about 3-4 days of hunting, so I don't expect any miracles.

I'll have some scraps of meat, used fryer oil for baiting.

I plan on baiting on the first day, then do a few honey burns to attract some bear to the bait site.

Since I'm on a restricted time-table/budget, do you guys have some tips/suggestions to increase my odds?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm planning a grouse hunt up north this fall (zone 2-3). As I know the area quite well, I would also like to setup for a bear hunt on the same week (hunting grouse in the morning, bear in the afternoon).

I will only have about 3-4 days of hunting, so I don't expect any miracles.

I'll have some scraps of meat, used fryer oil for baiting.

I plan on baiting on the first day, then do a few honey burns to attract some bear to the bait site.

Since I'm on a restricted time-table/budget, do you guys have some tips/suggestions to increase my odds?
Talk to some locals ahead of time , maybe put out all your bait right away then leave it alone till the end of the week . I would spend some time roaming around were they had been spotting them , feilds / oppenings/ etc. If you are in a good area a lot of times it is quite comon to see them day after day coming out in the same places . I often just go for a walk and end up shooting one like that.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Ya its gonna be hard to set up and have a successfull bait that fast, like he said, put 95 percent of your bait out the first day, do some BIG burns, and then leave it alone till the last day then try it, but I think its gonna be hard to get that to work, never know tho.
If you can go out the week before even and put out a big pile of bait then leave it till the week ya plan on hunting and then get er goin again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah if I get my moose tag Ill be able to get up there and bait it a few days before, but I'm not counting on that either.

·
Registered
627 Posts
DanyO, trying to establish a fall bait is actually a bit harder than spring baiting. Food is much more abundant in the fall, especially just after moose season. It's pretty hard to bait, get a hit on the bait, and be successful inside a week. I've got a buddy that likes to bear hunt in the fall. He starts his baits, more than one, in the latter part of August, maintains them as necessary and hunts them in October. Most of his baits dry up immediately following moose season but usually pick up, again, 2 weeks later. As deer season gets closer his baits are getting hit every day and that's when he hunts them. He usually deer hunts in the morning and sits on his bait in the afternoon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bear pig out on apples about that time in the fall - early October - till the apples are all gone.

Look for apple trees and BIG piles of scat full of apples!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There aren't any apple trees in the area I'll be hunting at (it's in the middle of the wood, about 1hr drive from the nearest house/paved road/civilization).

I know the area pretty well though, there are a few small trails near water, and tons of berries. I usually see lots of scats when I hunt grouse around there. I've seen quite a few bears in those trails as well in the past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts