New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...got my first robin hood under my belt!

Guess that's what I get for being too cheap and not wanting to put up a fresh paper target! lol
I "thought" I was aiming right beside my other arrow! oops

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your Robin from the Hood?? LOL

I use a block with a 5 "dice" target area so I dont have to shoot my other arrows. I use to shoot "groups" but never understood why?? Busting up my arrows is all it did. Shoot bullseyes in different areas of the target is what works for me...Good shooting by the way

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
"Show Off"!!
Ya know I'm Just kid'n CG!
looks like your getting the hang of it.

How easy are the arrows pulling out of that target?
I still shoot 5/6 arrow groups myself sometimes ...just can't help it (habit). I like to shoot at a cardboard deer silhouette right behind that shoulder! But I also like to tack up small balloons, and shoot them individually too. Nothing like "Popping" one from 50/60 yards away!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The arrows are pulling out pretty easy right now..but I don't have it tightened down much.

This afternoon, I decided to put up 3 smaller targets, so I wouldn't hit anymore arrows! lol
Not that I figured a shot like that was likely again!

I'm pretty sure that was just beginners luck!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Now your just showing off

Congratulations by the way!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!!

Well, I finally had my first real frustrating night of shooting.
Thursday night was my best night of shooting yet.
Last night...not so much. I was grouping tight, but every darn shot was to the left.
I tried to blame it on the fact that I had set at a desk all day and had a burning feeling between my shoulder blades...but if that was the case, and my back was stiff and the muscles not working right, wouldn't that make my shots go more right?!?

I was shooting at the same type of target(3 targets up & down)...same 20 yard line...but couldn't hit the same spot as the night before!

I was trying not to get frustrated...at least all of the arrows were going in the same spot, right? grrrr.

Finally decided to walk away from it for a few. While sitting back relaxing, it was going thru my mind what felt wrong with the shots...what felt right...Other than my back being stiffer than usual, it all felt right..
So...what else could I blame it on. When aiming, I was focused on the yellow, but it was going thru my mind everytime, you're aiming at yellow, but you're not gonna hit yellow. So was my mind playing tricks on me and although I was aiming at yellow, I was purposely shooting left?

K, too much thinking...time to get back up & try it again...
Before I got up...hubby decided to show me up and split an arrow with a recurve!

My next set...yellow all 3 shots...This time I only focused on the yellow and told myself it was going to hit yellow.

So....was my shooting off because I was stiff or was it because I was too focused that my shots were gonna go left?!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well CG..since you were able to eventually get your arrows back to where you wanted them, it tells us it was definitely a "shooting form" issue". I have found that one common reason for arrows drifting left (and sometimes low as well) is allowing your left hand (bow hand), to drop slightly at the shot. You must always concentrate on keeping your bow arm perfectly still until the arrow hits the target (your basic follow through) sometimes a shooter gets a bit slack, and doesn't realize that they are dropping their arm to watch the arrow release. Not saying it is definelty "your" problem...but it "could" be.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks AR!

Whatever my prob was friday night...It "fixed" itself yesterday!

So, that's all good!

I think the next thing I'm gonna change on the bow, is my peep.
Now that I'm starting to get used to shooting, I find it a bit big.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, CC, as you have just discovered, robin hoods are expensive....LOL As you shoot more, you will notice that some days, no matter what you try, you will just be off. I've watched other shooters get very upset and the harder they try, the worse they got. On Archery talk, I once read a concise list of the things you have to do to shoot accurately and consistently. There was about 15 items, i can't remember most of them but always found i could only focus on about 3 things and that left a lot of other things that influence the shot to do so.

Over time, the best thing you can do is to learn to diagnose your shooting errors and that is quite a trick also.

The biggest influence that plagues most shooters I think is bow torque. This can cause left right errors, is very easy to induce and can be caused by a number of actions

A problem that I have struggled with is just as I release, I sometimes squeeze the riser between my thumb and hand. To fix this I touch my second fingertip to my thumb tip, prevents squeezing the riser nicely.

Another easy way is to hold the bow at full draw to long, the longer you hold the harder to get a clean release.

Yet another source of torque is to flinch, virtually impossible to get a good shot after this, best to let down, rest a few seconds and try again.

The list of possibilities goes on and on and I'm pretty sure I haven't personally managed to be afflicitted with all of them yet but i workin on it.

Bottom line, each day I shoot, the most important shoot is the very first one. When you bowhunt, there is no practice shoots or stretching your cold muscles before you shoot whn you've been stillhunting or stand hunting for a few hours..

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice shooting Tex!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I wouldn't be too quick to change your peep because of it being too big, unless you mean that it is bulky and not the peep hole size.
The larger the hole within reason makes it easier to see through in low light situations. I use a 1/4" peep for hunting.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses guys!
Being new to the sport, I still have lots to learn! lol
But lovin' every minute of it!!

I'm starting to think I'm addicted to my new lil bow! hahahaha

(Don't tell hubby I'm not a bow expert though..he had me call a fella on a bow today cause he thinks I know alot about them!)

Thanks Bowtech..never thought about low light conditions....maybe I might just leave my peep the way it is.
I was only thinking about changing it because of the hole size...not because of it being bulky.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Good shootin'...at least it was the cheaper of the two arrows that got smashed

I just had my bow tuned up,new peep,new string,new biscuit ....for the Maine trip....11days to go...

I really like the bigger peep myself.
If you haven't tried a smaller one it isn't really a huge expense or job to switch and try but I think you'll probably find you'll switch back.
Only one way to know what will work best for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts