New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do for the first day, or days leading up to it? My Dad, brother and I hunt together the first day along with some other friends. Most of the time we spend the night before making sure everything is ready. Packing the boat, charging Mojo's and cleaning guns. Usually make a trip out to the "spot" to build the blinds and make sure everything looks just right for the next morning.

We have a friendly competition on the first day, where certain species are worth more points where the winner gets the most points with his 6 ducks and 5 geese. Usually stay at the spot all day having a fire at lunch, roasting a few ducks and maybe catch a couple hours of sleep.

What do you guys do?

Hope everyone has a safe hunt and a great shoot!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I start a few in advance, first every gun in the vault get cleaned and picked over(regardless of amount of use). Next comes a hot cup of coffee and an hour of front my Lee Load-All packing shells for the season. This followed by digging out my hunting gear and going through all of it and verifying it's condition, restocking or replacing as needed. The day off before opener, the shotgun being used gets another once over. Opening day sees me out the driveway right behind the Boss.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Me and my buddy usually hunt opening day, cant get it off this year tho, so it will be day 2.

We just touched up the duck boat yesterday made a new stencil and painted it up. Mojo's are already charged, and have the search lights ready. All of our way points are marked, by a stick in the water with shiny tape on it, but we have made the trip so many times we can pretty much do it full throttle. Clothes have all been washed in UV blocking soap.

Burlap, and breakup materials have been restocked, topped up all the gas cans and extras. Thursday night, the boat will be put in the water (tide affects our launch ability). All gear except ammo and guns will be put in the boat. Friday morning, get up, quick breakfast, and head out. On the way to the blind, one guy pulls all the deeks' and unwinds them for rapid deployment. Then we count the minutes till we can start.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is the way it goes every year, my dad and I as well as a couple uncles and cousins hunt the same area every year, its almost a tradition in its self that the first day that we hunt " the bar" Night before everyone takes all the decoys out to the blinds, make a few touch ups then everyone gets toghether and we sit on the end and watch how many ducks go into each others blinds, and make a few bets as to who will fire the most shells as opposed to who actually gets the most ducks. Back at home we take the guns, fire a few shells out of them to make sure they are working right, then they get a cleaning, we lay all gear out for the morning, then a few ppl show up during the evening for a few beer, maybe a game or two of darts. Next morning early, make sure my cousin is out of bed, then everyone stops at my uncles garage before heading out...funny how its gone prety much the same way every year since i can remember, except the odd year, last year being one of them, the water was to high and we all had no choice but to hunt else where

• Upvote
Reactions: Trappercase

·
Registered
65 Posts
First day the dog and I stay about half a mile away from the "real hunters" and pass shoot all the ducks they scare our way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts