New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say.... this is more fun than I thought it would be.

I set up not far from the camp in an old blind overlooking a bog and a few slash cuts. I set my remote call about 50 yards out on a branch about 3 feet off the ground. I never called before and was not sure how long or how often I should call. I started with the crow call and then a few rabbit calls. About 5 minutes later I saw an owl fly over and attack my call.
It flew about 10 feet and I jumped up and started yelling at it
I was lucky he dropped it. DO NOT LEAVE SMALL SPEAKER ON A BRANCH.
After retrieving my call I tied it down good and tried again. I gave it about 20 minutes with no action and decided to move. When I circled around to head out to a clear cut, I found fresh tracks 100 yards from where I was calling.

I'm hooked...... I called for 30 minutes in the clear cut and heard them howling in the distance. I think they were on to me.
I found fresh tracks everywhere on my way out. I didn't see any.... but it was amazing how close I came to connecting on my first time out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome to the addiction of coyote hunting!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Saw a coyote last night by the pm bridge in fredericton, then it ran down in some back yards, very nice looking dog.

·
Registered
271 Posts
be ready for a challenge! I tried last year with no success and finaly gave up on hunting yotes and now i juste hunt crows

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I'm a first-time coyote hunter as well so I hope you don't mind if a toss out a couple of questions here.

Are rifle tripods or bipods a must-have or just a preference?
Are portable blinds (e.g small tent) worthwhile or not much better for concealment than natural surroundings?

I have an electronic caller on order and I hunt with a 22-250. I was thinking I would be setting up most of the time at the woodline overlooking fresh cuts or fields.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
How far do you usually go between stands? I've read some different things, but if you're calling from a chopping that's 400 yards across or so, would you just move to the other side of the chopping and try again, or would you change locations entirely?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Read somewhere that coyotes can here a rabbit call from over a mile away if the wind is right, so if after 20 minutes or so you don't see or hear anything move on down a couple of miles because the coyotes are not around. Coyotes can cover a mile in about 5 to 10 minutes, and their territory is about 10 to 15 square miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is my first time hunting coyotes also, got a couple more questions

How keen is the coyote's sense of smell?
What do you do with the meat and pelt?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is neat is seeing the coyote coming in and looking for you. It's just the opposite to the normal situation of seeing them running away.

Last August I took my son calling for his first time. First we tried by a cow carcass where I had seen a coyote a couple days before. I called and nothing showed. We moved 800 yards or so and sat in a fence row. I called. Waited 5 minutes or so. Looked up and a coyote was trotting across the field at an angle to us, very alert, looking for the source of the noise.

It eventually passed within 60 yards of where we sat and disappeared into a corn field behind us. I told my son we have to check behind us too. Sometimes you turn around and one is right there.

Well, being hunted by coyotes sort of spooked him a little. On the walk back home he kept looking all around and behind us for coyotes !! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts