New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I dediced that I should take up coyote hunting, so I went out and bought myself a new Tikka .223 and put on a spare scope that I had, not being used. I decided on the .223 because the ammo was so much cheaper than the 22-250, therefore I could fire that many more rounds without the added expense. But, It seems that I never found the time to actually go out hunting.

This year I made up my mind that I was going to make the time if I had to. My wife (god love her) put some money down on a scope at the Gun Dealer and left the receipt in a card for me to open at Xmas. She also got me a rabbit decoy that moves around on a peg that is pushed down in the ground or snow. So down to McAdam I go on Thursday and pick out a new Nikon 3x9x50 prostaff (so far I think its going to be a great scope for the money). I put the thing on my .223 on Friday and had it sighted in that afternoon.

This afternoon I thought it would be a great day to head out and see if I could find any coyotes. So, I found a spot on the power line and set up the rabbit, found a place to sit and started call on a double dog call that I bought last year (it has a howler and a rabbit distress on the same call). Sat for about 45 min. with no success. So, I moved to another spot and then another spot. Well, I thought, nothing today no big deal, thats hunting.

On my way out, with about 15 min. of shooting light left, I heard a coyote calling not to far away. So I decided to sit in a spot that had a good vantage point and decided to try the howler. Not long after that I seen movement to my right and determined that it was a coyote that had not discoved me. I then blew into the rabbit in distress call (just lightly though) and about 1 or 2 minutes later, right in front of me, I see a coyote trotting broadside of me. As I lifted up my rifle the thing stopped and turned the other way just as I squeezed the triger. I walked about 50 to 60 yards to where I fired and found a decent amount of blood.

I decided to go home, put my gear away and head back out with a flashlight. In about a half hour to 45 mins. I was back in the woods following a blood trail. Well I thought that I would just walk into the thicket a short distance and would find a dead coyote. I ended up spending about an hour or more following the blood trail with no success. The thing went in circles and did not seem to go in any special direction at all. I could also tell that another coyote was with it and they seemed to stay together the whole time. Well I guess I'll head back out in the morning and see if I can find it.

I've never lost any game animals I've shot before and I am now wondering if the 55 grain soft point was the right choice. Is it possible that the soft point bullet went right through without doing much damage? I also have a box of 45 grain hollow points and I think that I'll sight the gun in with those for my next hunt.

All in all I'm still excited (what a rush) and I will be going again soon.

·
Registered
726 Posts
55 grain SP is plenty for coyotes. SHOT PLACEMENT is the key. Coyotes look 3 times bigger than they are with all the winter fur on them. Hold middle of the body (up and down) and tight to the shoulder and their dead. I would guess you probably skun him. A flesh wound bleeds UNBELEIVABLY BAD, way more than most hunters think. You put a bullet through ANY animals lungs and they aint going very far. Best of Success to you!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks, I did aim for the shoulder, but as the thing turned to run it is more than likely that I did'nt get a good shot. I feel bad that I could not find it, but at least it was a coyote and not a deer. I never would have stopped looking for it had it been a deer. I think that I'll head out again to take another look around just in case it is down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shot placement is most important ,more so than bullet weight or construction.
I have shot yotes with 52 grain hollow points all the way up to 80 grain match bullets with .223,(52hp,55sp,55ballistic tip,6osp,62fmj64sp,69hpm,70,75 match,80hpbtm).
It don't matter what you hit them with, its where you hit them.
Also I have followed a lot of blood trails in last 20 years from wounded yotes.
After a couple of in the woods after dark with no gun following a yote blood trail, not for me anymore.
Got surrounded by yotes also hunting the blood. No fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts