New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Havent been out myself yet. I have 3 hunters from NY bowhunting this week. They've had a 120" 8pt @ 52 yards. Nice 6pt, 3pt, and 12 or 13 doe seen so far. No shots fired yet. Hopefully I'll get out on Saturday evening after their all done. I've been seeing alot of small bucks and doe mid day all week.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i seen 3 doe opening morning...edge of field about 80 yards
and was out tuesday afternoon and seen 3 more doe....different ones since it was a different spot!
i thought about taking the first doe but she had 2 kids with her...so...let her walk away!
but she was persistent....came within 5 yards of me...knew i was there but couldnt smell me!
alittle early yet to be taking a doe!

·
Registered
780 Posts
A buddy of mine and a member of QDMA shot a dandy buck the first day of the season in WMZ 2. An 8 pointer at 7:30 in the morning. It looks like it's gonna be a P&Y buck, and weighed 175 pounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Saw two great bucks opening day, both were at least 8pt. They were following two does and two fawns. They were out of range and weren't closing the distance fast enough before it became dark.

I set up in a better place last night, hoping the deer would do the exact same thing (stupid me...deer never do the exact same thing). The does and fawns came out and they were quickly withing bow range, eventually they were less than 10 yards from me, and I'm thinking, "where the heck are the bucks". The wind was in my favour so the does were clueless to my presence, but then they did something totally unexpected. It looked like they were going to walk directly into my ground blind, but then they suddenly turned and went down a small trail about 10 yards to my left (back in to the long grasses of the flood plain). I figured that they were just going to hold up in the cover for a little while and then return to the field to feed. I was wrong. They actually walked into the stream only 8 yards behind me and started travelling downstream. The bloody deer were using the stream as their travel corridor...no wonder I've been having such a hard time finding their tracks. Well the wind was in my favour IF they remained in the field, but fate would have it that they would manage to get behind me. The first doe and fawn made it by without detecting me, but the second doe picked up my scent and backed out of there. She never actually saw me, so I hope the encounter hasn't ruined my chances.

The bucks never did show up last night. They've got to eat soon, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
she was persistent....came within 5 yards of me...knew i was there but couldnt smell me!
She do the blowing and Stomping Show? Pretty cool when they do. (Even though it means your Busted)

Seeing Does and Kids as well, no Bone yet..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seen a nice buck last night, was out at about 45 yards facing me, and slowly coming in. I am hunting near the marsh, and someone honked on a 10 gauge about 120 yards away... White flag, and Buck gone... I hope they got the ducks

They are consistently coming in between 7 - 730 so I hope to get him soon.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
She do the blowing and Stomping Show? Pretty cool when they do. (Even though it means your Busted)
yes they did the blowing and stomping but didnt go anywhere
just starred at me...and then went about eating again!
every once in awhile they come back and take a look to see if i was still there!
they stayed around for about 45-50 minutes!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have not been out yet and with the lack of deer around this year just not to excited to go.I am running 3 trail cameras and for the last 10 weeks, a 6 point about 130 lbs is the biggest thing I have seen.I have 1 doe coming to one stand,3 does and 3 little ones coming to the second stand,one doe one 4 pointer to the third stand,and a spike and this 6 pointer coming to the fourth stand.Does not look good for my area.Lots of bears around but used my tag this spring. good luck

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Had four does come in early last evening. But the wind made them real jumpy. I think they were even worried a limb might fall on their heads "LOL"! Before long they winded us and snorted then left shortly after. This morning same thing. Had a deer come in and bust us behind the stand. Didn't see what it was. It just blew and exited. "Dang Wind"!
That Dang Tropical Storm "Otto" is the culprit! It's pushing an air stream north out in the middle of the Atlantic, that is drawing a pinwheel air-mass down form the North West territories. Supposed to continue tonight and tomorrow as well! Dang wind!
&&@!!&&@@!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well with purchase of a new DR2 this spring, I was looking forward to bow hunting this year. This evening I harvested a spoon horn(see pics). I was watching a doe feeding but she keep her body hidden from me. After a half hour, a small buck showed up. Too bad for him, he was just the right size for a small family.

He ran 30 meters, stopped, then went another 10 and layed down in sight of me. The doe ran off 20 meters, then a few minutes later, she came back and resumed eating. He layed there for about 10 minutes, struggled up and went a couple more meters then crashed and rolled over, gave a few kicks and that was all he wrote.

My spoon horn

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well with purchase of a new DR2 this spring, I was looking forward to bow hunting this year. This evening I harvested a spoon horn(see pics). I was watching a doe feeding but she keep her body hidden from me. After a half hour, a small buck showed up. Too bad for him, he was just the right size for a small family.

He ran 30 meters, stopped, then went another 10 and layed down in sight of me. The doe ran off 20 meters, then a few minutes later, she came back and resumed eating. He layed there for about 10 minutes, struggled up and went a couple more meters then crashed and rolled over, gave a few kicks and that was all he wrote.

My spoon horn
Congrats Styk,nice way to break in the new bow.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks, it was the first time I had a passthruogh shot, was so used to the deer running with the arrow through them which I think makes them run further. Except for one spine shot, I've never seen them go down.

Have a good day in the woods.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woke up Primed to spend another day in the stand waiting for the opportunity. In stand by 6:30am saw 2 does and 2 fawn and an odd 5 point and a small 7 point. All were within range but too small. 11:30am rolled around and the winds were so high I thought I was going to be blown out of my stand. Decided to call it a day unless the winds calm down. Good luck to all those sticking with it in the wind. Hope Monday will be calmer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Deer 2
Bowtech 0

G

·
One of my bowhunting partners tagged this beauty 5 pointer Thursday night at about 6:30. Made a great heart shot on it, ran 40 yards and tumbled.

17 yards, complete pass through with a 125 gr G5 Montec

I managed a young bear in the first 20 minutes of the season last Monday morning. Got lucky and made a good heart shot on him, he piled up real quick 50 yards away.

Complete pass through with 125 gr G5 Montec. 13 yards from a treestand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts