New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
went out hunting this morning at daybreak sat in the stand for 4 hrs then went back to the truck for lunch and decided I would drive over to the next dirt road and take a peek. when I got to the dead end I noticed some big tracks in the mud I followed them in to the woods and noticed a scrape in the dirt under a pine tree. I decided to go a little further on the trail and noticed another just 20 feet away. Im really tempted to move my stand to this new spot but the trees are pretty thick there and it would be hard to get a shot unless I put the stand up right in the deer trail. I wanted to follow the trail further but being a new hunter and already getting lost once this fall I decided to go back to my other stand. Is it to late to be switching stand spots? I haven't seen or heard a deer at my other stand in 5 solid days hunting and also not many of the apples I placed have been touched. Im torn about what to do. I think I might just try and make fast ground blind out of branches 10 or so feet away from the scrapes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sat in a blind with no action - found fresh scrapes and moved. I have a little chair, tent blind that I'm using -watching a field. There have been does in the morning - haven't seen the buck. I'm going into the blind before sunrise - they are really early here. By 8 if I haven't seen anything, I don't.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I sat in a blind with no action - found fresh scrapes and moved. I have a little chair, tent blind that I'm using -watching a field. There have been does in the morning - haven't seen the buck. I'm going into the blind before sunrise - they are really early here. By 8 if I haven't seen anything, I don't.
I am out with the truth 2 and slick tricks in the morning, i dont get out much and crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Id move, if you havnt seen any sign of bucks near your stand then i would atleast check out that spot for a morning and or night. Last wednesday i had a hunch and checked out trail i havnt hunted yet, saw some definite signs of a buck and plopped down against a tree on my stool, lo and behold a big buck comes up from behind me and no shot. The buck i shot last year i shot out of a spot i only hunted that night, my other stand id been seeing does and kids but no sign of a buck anywhere, walked out to my old stand seen a fresh scrape about 200 yrds down the trail, sat for 20 minutes under my old tree stand had a deer on teh ground and back at the house before dark...if there are several scrapes in an area he is definetly hanging out there often

·
Registered
119 Posts
i would just build a make-shift blind and watch the scrapes... last night me and my buddy found a scrap..sit down at the base of a tree and an hour later he came joggin in nose on the ground checkin the scrap line...mihgt not happen that easy but you never no...but he wil be back just a matter of when

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd move too, it's worth a shot, a buck will definately be back at some point to check to see if there's any action. Make yourself a perch and wait for him!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea that will be my plan tomorrow or monday morning Im just gonna go sit beside a tree and watch the scrape and trail. Il let yall know if I see anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts