New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
harvest or let it go to the coyotes
If you found a wounded doe and had a doe tag, what would you do?
Leave it be, the coyotes will finish her.00.00%
Shoot and tag her.1354.17%
Shoot and leave her for the coyotes.520.83%
Call some friends and solicit a general concensus14.17%
Find the hunter that wounded her but didn't track her and beat them about the head and shoulders520.83%

·
Registered
495 Posts
Part I

A few years back, many of my old haunts cut flat, I revisited an area that was over hunted to the point of near extinction but I had still hunted and seen deer around. Since I wasn't having any luck anywhere else, I decided to put up a portable tree stand and encourage some deer to visit. Well my encouragement sat there for near on a week....guess what, no visitors. Man I thought, this area is even worse then I initially thought. So one morning, close to noon I get down and go for a walk. Now this is ideal country for deer and also for still hunting (with a gun), mixed forest, lots of open areas broken up with bands of evergreen. I went about 100 meters from the stand, step though a band of spruce, look around slowly, note a large rock about 20 meters away....wait. the rock has ears and....a head. It looks like a fawn judging by the length of the head. This was early in the 3rd week of rifle season, the score, deer 2, me 0. So I stand there, wondering what to do, I didn't want to push the fawn and probably push the momma also. 30 seconds later, she got up and awkwardly bounded away. At this point the body size told me a different story, no fawn here, a mid size doe with a tiny head. So I walk over to where she was bedded and notice blood in the bed, no wonder she was awkward. I walked about 5 meters towards where she had gone and she jumped up and ran a little ways, fell down and got up again, this time standing broadside. Now I was faced with a decision.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hard call. How was it wounded? Is there a hunter actually looking for it? (if its bleeding, its likely been recently shot, you don't go far bleeding out). I would be inclined to contact DNR before I made a decision to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If I had a doe tag I would have at least finished her off to end the suffering due to a horrible shot and couldn't for her. 2nd part of that would be...now did I hear any shots earlier or from the previous day? If not then tag her and have some tasty food for the winter.
For me and the area I hunt there is a total of 5/6 hunters covering a decent area. We all know when each other shoots and if it was one of the other few in this area I would get in touch with him and ask if he shot at a deer and couldn't find it. If the answer was yes then I would show it to him and help him drag it out.

I see no reason why anyone would let this animal or any other animal suffer...I know it wouldn't be legal but I may even try to find someone with a doe tag to claim her, normally someone in my group has a tag
Better than wasting it and feeding the coyotes

·
Banned
223 Posts
So, in the question up above you have a doe tag. I would finish that deer quickly if i was you. I couldn't stand to see a deer suffer like that and you have a license. No brainer for me. Click, BANG. Done deal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would definitely finish her off thats the only thing to do. As far as tagging it i'm not so sure, if she is wounded and not dead probably wasn't well shot . if you heard the shot you could probably find the hunter . if you didn't hear the shot then she was probably wounded for some time and i aint going to eat that to clean up someone elses mess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's make the scenario more interesting. What if you didn't have a doe tag and were hunting in a bucks only zone? Do you do the humane thing and put the animal out of its misery or do you let nature run its course. As for contacting a DNR officer, they are so scarce in areas because of cutbacks that it would take forever for them to check out a situation. We reported a place where some hunters seemed to be teeing off on deer at night on the edge of an open cut and the officer's reply was that there were only to officers patrolling the area and there was nothing that could be done. DNR has their officers spread way too thin.Why don't the federal authorities pitch in during hunting season?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think if you have a tag you shoot it and tag it, if you don't have a tag then you don't shoot it, you aren't allowed to. Even if the deer is obviously going to die or is in pain you are not allowed to shoot it. Same scenario as if you were driving on the road and came across a crippled deer hit by a car, you can't shoot it.
You report it to DNR, tell them where it was and let them do what they get paid to do. That might sound like a cruel thing to do but thats the way its supposed to be handled.
If you don't have a tag and you do shoot it then you have committed an offence under the wildlife act so picture yourself in court trying to defend your actions with "but judge, honest it was already wounded and I just put it out of its misery"...say good bye to your hunting privileges for at least the next 5 years.
Thats not the easy answer but its the right answer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would shoot and tag her, I hunt for the meat. I always hunt for a buck, but rather than see the doe killed for no reason I would take her home and and enjoy my meals just as much as if it was a buck. Would put a damper on my hunting season though

·
Registered
531 Posts
Many years ago I had a similar discussion with a group of ppl, one being a retired warden. The only difference was the deer was taken down by coyotes, rearend half chewed off & the deer was still alive. Once you pick off the coyotes...what do you do about the deer.

If you don't plan on tagging the deer or it's out of season...obviously the "right" thing to do is walk away, call DNR and hope that they would come & finish the animal off.

Knowing that officers in our area are scarce, could I walk away from a deer that was down like that and not do anything? The humane thing would be to put the animal out of it's misery. But that is also illegal.

I guess I just hope that's a decision I never have to make. Pretty sure I couldn't walk away from a wounded animal, although what I would be doing was wrong in the eyes of the law.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would never leave it to the coyotes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Many years ago I had a similar discussion with a group of ppl, one being a retired warden. The only difference was the deer was taken down by coyotes, rearend half chewed off & the deer was still alive. Once you pick off the coyotes...what do you do about the deer.

If you don't plan on tagging the deer or it's out of season...obviously the "right" thing to do is walk away, call DNR and hope that they would come & finish the animal off.

Knowing that officers in our area are scarce, could I walk away from a deer that was down like that and not do anything? The humane thing would be to put the animal out of it's misery. But that is also illegal.

I guess I just hope that's a decision I never have to make. Pretty sure I couldn't walk away from a wounded animal, although what I would be doing was wrong in the eyes of the law.
In a case like that I would shoot the deer, or cut its throat if it was out of season and I didn't have a gun. Then I would call the wardens. I am shure they would understand a situation like that, but if they tried to charge me for it I would write every major news paper and tv news in Canada. After the press and public ate them to pieces I'm shure the charges would be dropped. If the deer is chewed up by yotes and I call the DNR right away to me it would sound pretty clear that I was putting the deer out of its misery and not poaching

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well most people carry a cell phone so if you had one on you I would call DNR before I did anything and explain the situation and see what they tell you.
If no cell and no tag I guess you gotta walk.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Looking at the same situation I would shoot her if I had a tag. I would then backtrack her to see if I could find the guy who shot her. If I couldn't and I had a doe tag I would then tag her. If I didn't have a tag I'd call the rangers when I got back to the house and tell them the situation and ask them what they wanted to do. Being as bad off as she was I don't figure she'd be going anywhere and I could go back and finish her if they gave me the ok. If they didn't give me the ok I'd make sure they went and finished her or I'd find someone with a tag and take them back.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sadly, no good deed goes unpunished.
I inderstand what your saying Bow-Man, but seriously... how many would really leave the doe lay there to suffer, tag or no tag, shot or attacked by yotes? sometimes good deeds do go unpunished, so do bad deeds. There seems to be alot of
"the book says" on here. LOL I laughed from a prev post (I think it was the baiting post) where Girlscout had said she killed over 50 deer and someone said how can that be, that means you had been hunting at 12 years old?!? LOL guess what, I've been hunting since I was 8 years old with my grandfather. Yes, the book says it is illegal but what, are they going to dig up my grandfathers body and charge him, or charge me becasue when I was 8 I didn't say "no grampa, I can't hunt with you becasue the book says I can't" sheesh. Don't get me wrong, I follow the regulations and respect them. My son will not be hunting with me until he is legal age, I would not do anything that could jeopardize me being able to hunt. But there seems to be alot of "Not me, never ever" on this site. Does that mean no one has ever gone over the speed limit due to an emergency? C'mon, I don't think anyone is going to leave the deer to lay there shaking and suffering while they walk around figuring out what to do with it, or walk away because the book says they can't kill it without a tag. That law was made to protect deer, not to make them suffer. What if it was your dog? law says you have to take your dog to the vet to be put down humane, but if your dog is yelping in pain because it was just shot or attacked by yotes are you going to pick it up and carry it through the bush back to the truck, then drive a couple hours to get to the vet so he can give it a needle so it dies in a "humane" way, ya, that would be real humane.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts