New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
What a great show, Land and Sea is.

I'm here to tell you my friends that a fried squirrel is a mighty tasty critter. Cooked slowly in a cast iron pan on a wood stove. Only tried it once but it was good. I'm sure that there were alot of things that folks ate years ago that aren't bad but just don't sound so good. Take bull frogs for example, now there's a delicacy. I hate to kill them in this day and age and it was many years ago as a boy that we had them at our camp but I can remember how succulent they tasted.

Bill G.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey everyone, I love squirrel.When I was a kid my aunt came home from Texas, I was an experianced squirrel, hunter at a young age and hadn't advanced to the larger game in the area {partridge and rabbits..lol}.One day I came home with a few squirrels and she asked me what I was going to do with them.I told her that I was bringing them to an older fellow that I knew and he tied flies with the fur.She told me when I was done skinning them, that she wanted the squirrels, and she would need more. Now on a mission I headed back to the woods and shot her about 20 more squirrels.When I got home skinned them and gave them to her.She boiled them removed all the bones, which must have been as pain staking as pulling hens teeth...lol....and made the best stew with home made biscuits on top.We were the only ones that knew what it was, and when other family members tried it and we told them they couldn't believe it.I guess with my luck deer hunting I should have stayed a squirrel, killer.....but I am sure I would have gotten some laughs with one of those strapped to the hood of my truck...lol.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I like squirrel but not beaver tail, I do love roasted beaver though, had it a number of times!

·
Registered
456 Posts
You guys talkin about red or grey squirrels, ive killed hundreds of reds around the house and camp and out of the bird feeder, little pests will sure make a mess

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Bowtech what does beaver tail taste like? Trapped them all my life but dad says that its one of the best meats out there but when i ask him what it tastes like he says find out for yourself...never been brave enough

·
Registered
229 Posts
You guys talkin about red or grey squirrels, ive killed hundreds of reds around the house and camp and out of the bird feeder, little pests will sure make a mess
Is shooting aquirrels legal in NB? I was under the impression that if there is no open season/license you cannot hunt them.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Is shooting aquirrels legal in NB? I was under the impression that if there is no open season/license you cannot hunt them.
The ones I've shot have been nuisance animals, keeping them out of the house/camp. I don't think there's too many people going out in the woods targeting them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was wondering the same. In the NB hunt/trap book they're not listed as a species you can hunt, and as such the book implies that you cannot hunt them. However, in the trap part of the same book, squirrels are listed in there, not to be trapped, but rather hunted. Confused yet? It would appear that if you get your trapping license, then you then can shoot squirrels. You would think that they'd be listed as a varmint, but they're not. I love squirrel too. I used to hunt them in Louisiana as they have a hunting season for them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm battling the grey squirrels, the dammers are getting into my shed and making a mess. Might be a squirrel stew here yet.

BG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts