New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well tonight was very close to being a great night for me in the woods. I had gotten home at 3:00 this afternoon from errands and dropping my wife off at work. When I got home I was thinking that it was way too late to go in to my blind because I didn't want to spook anything with only 5 days left and make them come at night. Well after reading a couple of topics on the forum I quickly changed my mind and decided I would regret it if I don't go in.

So I grab my rifle and head back, I was all settle in my ground blind at about 3:30, and just hoping persistence pays off. At about 4:35 I see a big deer coming through the woods, and then he steps into a small clearing (maybe 5 feet wide) and I see that he's got a really nice rack! This buck wouldn't have competed with that BuckNut monster, but it was definitely the biggest buck I've seen in the woods. Anyway, I knew he was heading for the next opening, the one where there may or may not have been a pile of apples. As he was walking through the next thicket, I figured it would be a great time to get my rifle up and ready to shoot him when he stepped out. I quietly put the rifle up on the 2x4 in front of me that's been brushed in, and when I did, I accidentally put the strap clip on the 2x4 rather than flat on the stock. Well wouldn't you know it, the rifle slips off that clip and makes a small "thunk" as the stock collides with the 2x4 (Mind you, this wasn't much noise as it's only a 1cm drop or so). Well good ol' Bucky sure heard it and took just a couple of hops and was standing just off my shooting clearing. I was looking at him, and could see what I thought was probably the back 3/4 of his body, but didn't feel comfortable taking that shot and wounding him. The last thing I wanted to do was paunch that trophy and never find him.

He slowly walked off, and I'm guessing I'll probably never see him again... talk about frustrating and discouraging. I'm glad to have seen such a deer, and it's really not all about bagging him, but I wish it hadn't gone down like that

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ouch....

He will be back, just make sure you are there before he is, and he is as good as freezer filler.

Good luck! Lets hope he shows you a good side next time.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Thats frustrating but could have ended horribly if you had wounded him - that would be sickening for the rest of your life. You did the right thing, karma will pay you back.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
That's too bad Wardo. But don't let it discourage you. There is still a good chance that buck will come back again. My advice would be to put those (may or may not be) apples in three or four spots all out in front of your blind. By putting them only in one location, the buck is more likely to approach more cautiously, and be more hesitaant to commit to them. A little doe in heat scent might help as well.

Still lots of hours left yet. Do you have any full days off this week? At any rate..Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
He'll be back yet as you didn't spook him too much, hopefully when your there again
. He just heard something he couldn't identify and moved off. Good Luck Wardo!

·
Registered
175 Posts
He'll be back yet as you didn't spook him too much, hopefully when your there again
. He just heard something he couldn't identify and moved off. Good Luck Wardo!
Like bowtech said, hang tight the best time is here, its going to be good the last few days.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Oh man that's a heart breaker but it doesn't sound like he was spooked to bad.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's too bad Wardo. But don't let it discourage you. There is still a good chance that buck will come back again. My advice would be to put those (may or may not be) apples in three or four spots all out in front of your blind. By putting them only in one location, the buck is more likely to approach more cautiously, and be more hesitaant to commit to them. A little doe in heat scent might help as well.

Still lots of hours left yet. Do you have any full days off this week? At any rate..Good Luck!
Thanks AN. They may or may not be in several piles, he just hadn't gotten even to the first one yet

I'm not off any full days, but the shift I'm on means I can hunt every evening, so there's still time, but man was that ever frustrating.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, I can see where you're disappointed! Hang in there & hopefully he'll be back!!
Good luck this evening!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
man that is a tough one but doesn't sound like he was bothered too much and will probably be back. He is getting a hardon now so keep the faith man!!!!

good call on being ethical man!!! if he survives the next few days imagine next season

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm hoping he shows himself again between now and Saturday, I've been hunting in other spots for the last two days just trying to give him some room to get comfortable, tomorrow through Saturday it'll be all there. Thanks for the good words everyone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hard luck - that stuff happens. If theres a few does around, he'll still be around. Good call on not shooting on the marginal shot - that is not always an easy decision to make, but you will sleep better at night having made it (that is after you quit thinking about the big brute every time you close your eyes!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts