New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just checked and the first video is not all of it. I posted these to show the recoil difference with and without a muzzlebrake
I will try to fix tonight

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just checked and the first video is not all of it. I posted these to show the recoil difference with and without a muzzlebrake
I will try to fix tonight
How much does the rifle weigh, what brand of brake and who installed it?
I have dreams of a lightweight ish 338 norma mag, and I am sure a brake will be a must.
What % would you estimate it reduced the recoil?
Do you know of anyone with a gracoil or other similar type of but installed compensator?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cdog my buddy built it (he is a CNC machinist) and does alot of these for Ross in McAdam, he can give the specifics
I would guess the rifle was about 10lbs and my guess would be it reduced the recoil about 40% on this rifle. I only fired it 2 times but it was a very noticable difference.

once I get the 1st video completed you will see a difference in recoil

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok I think I have the first video fixed so you should see the difference now

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to clarify this particular muzzle brake was for a gun done from sussex outfitters

·
Registered
172 Posts
All it takes is a little common sense, fire 20 shots without hearing protection with a braked rifle( or unbraked for that matter) and yes, a hearing aid, will come in handy, if you do it enough . Use hearing protection at the shooting range, and fire a couple shots at game in hunting season,( you will probably not notice the shot, because of excitement) you will be fine. A braked rifle is a couple decibels louder, but seems more, because the sound is coming out at 90 deg's to the bore, at 360 deg's around the brake, so a lot more gas (sound) is closer to the shooter , instead of going 180 deg " to the shooter and there is very little muzzle rise . If you watch the video of the 30-378 wthby mag , nbdeerhunter on the first shot, is holding on to the forearm of the Sako 75 tight, ( he is a big strong lad) and he almost gets the scope in the forehead. With the brake, his right arm is back on the sand bag ,not on the forearm at all. Try firing your rifle like that and see where the scope ends up.(between your eyes).
I have over 50 brakes installed , of my own design (stainless steel and Blued) on everything from .223 WSSM to .338 Win Mag. ( have a .458 Lott coming soon, that should be fun). My 300 Rum I built has a brake with 80 holes, ( 8 per row, 10 rows) and I have had people fire it ( including 2 woman, 1 wanted a case to show her friends) and they say it kicks like a 22-250. 100 grains of gunpowder makes a lot of gas to bleed off through the brake( I put 1 on my 22-250 Imp to see the red mist fly, or see a miss) . Nbdeerhunter has a 300 rum I built for him, and his gun has a brake with 64 holes, ( each brake is matched to the cartridge , the more holes, the longer the brake is)and he says my new rifle kicks less than his ( 16 more holes). There is no such thing as a free lunch, gas (recoil) either gets your shoulder or ears. If you like to shoot at the range, wear your hearing protection and your shoulder will be ok. I can fire my 300Rum all day with no bruises, fired 5 shots from a 300 Wthby mag with 180g bullet , and had a nice bruise . ( the guy wants a brake , if he is going to shot it much.) Wonksy ( or anybody else) , if your in the Moncton area , email me ,and we will go to the range and try my rum, seeing is believing. Riflebuilder

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wonksy, if your in the Moncton area , email me ,and we will go to the range and try my rum, seeing is believing. Riflebuilder
Ya I wouldnt mind tryin one with a brake installed cause I'm debating on putting one on my RUM.
Just cant decide weather I want to or not cause the recoil from it dont bother me at all, and I dont see myself ever shooting it any amount to warrant installing one(didnt buy it for range rifle)

·
Registered
17 Posts
All it takes is a little common sense, fire 20 shots without hearing protection with a braked rifle( or unbraked for that matter) and yes, a hearing aid, will come in handy, if you do it enough . Use hearing protection at the shooting range, and fire a couple shots at game in hunting season,( you will probably not notice the shot, because of excitement) you will be fine. A braked rifle is a couple decibels louder, but seems more, because the sound is coming out at 90 deg's to the bore, at 360 deg's around the brake, so a lot more gas (sound) is closer to the shooter , instead of going 180 deg " to the shooter and there is very little muzzle rise . If you watch the video of the 30-378 wthby mag , nbdeerhunter on the first shot, is holding on to the forearm of the Sako 75 tight, ( he is a big strong lad) and he almost gets the scope in the forehead. With the brake, his right arm is back on the sand bag ,not on the forearm at all. Try firing your rifle like that and see where the scope ends up.(between your eyes).
yup, they're louder, well the one Ive used....a break for a VZ58. Without the break I need ear plugs, with the break i need ear plugs AND the earmuffs.

Bear in mind im inside a overhang from the gunclub so the sound would be louder than if i was fully "outside" where there are less walls etc for the sound to bounce back at me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've got a break on my vz58 as well .... Helps the muzzle jump
Especially for my young fella ... I just wear plugs

My 270 wsm without a break is louder, I'd say my 223 is louder or close to the same.

There was a guy last fall at the range with a 7mmstw with a break and it was considerably louder from
Where I stood .... He too was in the shack, and it rattled the fillings for sure.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they are a bit louder but part of that is the fact the the muzzlebreak pushed the pressure and noise out all around you instead of directly down range.

Riflebuilder is getting a 458lott or something like that he wants me to shoot before the break then after the break is on it

we will video it and post it here...should be fun!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Finished the Ruger #1 .458 Win Mag , that I rechambered to .458 Lott , and took it to the range . First 4 shots with no brake, were not fun. Fired 350g Win Mag (vel 2068) , 350g Lott (vel 2340) , 500g Win Mag and 500g Lott. Installed 120 hole Muzzle Brake I made , and reshot all 4 loads. Did not get a Vel on 500g bullets since I only had 4 rounds. With 350g loads , gun was very controlable , about like a lite 300 Win mag ( Tikka T3 Lite ). 500g Lott still let you know you are firing a BIG gun , but was a great improvment over no brake.
Riflebuilder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFHgCoHf0A

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Man that sucker kicks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts