New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Now for trout the best around is Dale Robinson in Sussex. The one he did for me turned out incredible. The head and eye are perfect and the dimensions are 100% since he carved out a piece of foam to match the fish prior to skinning. Definetely worth the wait and extra money.

As for deer heads, there are many guys around that do good work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Gary did a deer head for me a few years back, used a form that was too small so that the cape is all bunched up at the back of his head and nailed onto the form so that the ears are almost on top of his head. I just recently got another cape thats pretty decent so I'll get somebody else to use the new cape and redo the mount. Won't quite be the same knowing its not the same cape as the antler but it will look better. When I saw this posting I wasn't going to say anything because that was a few years ago and maybe he's gotten better since then so I wasn't going to trash the guy, but it appears not much has changed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Todd Turner just before Mount Eagle on Route 112 does really good work. He redid one I found a new cape for and it turned out awesome. He is doing the finishing touches on my buck from 2009 and i'll pick it up soon.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
When it comes to taxidermy work I whant it done perfectly, And I will pay to get it done that way. Im sure most are the same when it comes to a throphy of a lifetime why chance it go with a proven taxidermist with great feedback

·
Banned
174 Posts
Well I hope Gary O'Brien does a good job. Took my bear in Friday morning because I couldnt get ahold of todd. Gary had some mounts down there that didnt look to bad so hopefully he does good.
but todd turner does a excellent job my friend shot a 415 pound bear 3 years ago and got a 3/4 mount done and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Taxidermy is like anything else, you get what you pay for, research the work , go visit a couple of taxidermist's look at their work and ask question's, talk to people who've had work done,look at the mount's closely eye's, ears mouth nose make sure the position look,s natural and relaxed. Proper field care of the animal prior to getting to the taxidermist will play a key role in your finished product as well, I learned this lesson the hard way years ago trying to save a 100 bucks and in my opinion Dale Robinson does nice work, in fact I have a bear their now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dale does all my work and its awsome.Compared it to a few others and i can see the differances.The tanning process is were allot of mounts will show over time allot will fade out almost blond.I also look at the eyes at how they are set some look like two marbles not natural.But i agree you get what you pay for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts