New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does one need to get started in reloading?
what should they know?
and any recomended kits or books about reloading?
mainly i'm just frustrated with the lack of selection and salesman knowledge about factory ammo at the sporting good stores.i figure if i reload, i could get the bullet of my choice and load for a specific use. as well as maybe tighten up those groups. there is information on the internet but it is so vast that it is somewhat confusing for someone looking at getting started.
thanks
WW

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Get your press + accessoreies and dies for the calibers you want and a couple of reloading manuals, (I like to get the manuals from the companies bullets i use)
Hornday, speer and Nosler are good.

As for gear, the prices vary.
I use both an RCBS and lee presses, both make good accurate ammo, Lee is cheaper priced and i have never had an issue with one.

You can get a lee Kit with a set of dies for about $150.00 or so.
(but i would get a better scale as your next purchase). The lee scale works, but i much prefer the RCBS units.
Id also make sure you order a case trimmer set (lee ones are real cheap, but they work OK).

Read and take your time. Dont take shortcuts and work any loads up slowly.
remember you are playing with close to 60,000 PSI 8 inches from your face..

Once you start loading, you'll never want factory ammo again, ill guarantee you that.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
what does one need to get started in reloading?
what should they know?
and any recomended kits or books about reloading?
mainly i'm just frustrated with the lack of selection and salesman knowledge about factory ammo at the sporting good stores.i figure if i reload, i could get the bullet of my choice and load for a specific use. as well as maybe tighten up those groups. there is information on the internet but it is so vast that it is somewhat confusing for someone looking at getting started.
thanks
WW
Get a forster co-ax press....
The sierra I-6 disc has all their reload info plus a trajectory calculator.
I also like the hornady manual.
Reloading is about a grade nine shop skill level, but be carefull.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ive been reloading now for about 2 yrs and it in it self is a great hobby. Join the website Canadain gunnuts and there is a wealth of info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would agree that the RCBS starter kit are a good place to start.
The best thing is a buddy that reloads, that way you can use some of thier supplies to for some sample loadings. With the price of powder being $40lb you can buy powders that just will not shoot well for you. I have found that Sierra Manuals recommended loads are a good place to start.

When you find loads that impress you; your next step will be to improve your rifle, bedding, trigger tuning and maybe lapping. Browell and Wheeler have nice videos on YOUTUBE.

Maybe tune your rifle first.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Never been impressed with the Lee stuff. RCBS & Hornady make complete kits and both are very good
take your time and if at all possible maybe sit down and learn from someone who has been reloading and knows what is going on. Its not rocket science just need to be careful.

What caliber are you reloading for?

Just so you know it may seem cheaper until you start messing around with different powders bullets to make loads ...its alot of fun and I wish I had more time to sit with my buddy to reload.

Buy some good premium ammo for hunting and get some cheaper target ammo for practice at the range. Once you get a load build up and are happy with performance you won't need to load to many and a box of premium ammo will last a while.

NEVER START DEVELOPING A LOAD AT MAX!!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
300 win mag pick up some Barnes TSX and Swift Sirocco bullets the work awesome

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
With the price of powder being $40lb you can buy powders that just will not shoot well for you
Ain't that the truth ..

I use RCBS and Lee, and for the price, you cant really count lee out.
May not be as strong as my RCBS press, but the ammo turns out fine (an i have full sized 300win mag with no problem on it for years before i bought the Rock chucker), and depending on what ya want you can get the whole darn setup with lee for less than what i pad for the RCBS press alone.

You can always buy another press later on - never hurts to have 2 -

Usually use one setup for sizing and the other for seating bullets

·
Registered
317 Posts
You can get most of what you will need in a kit, (manuel, press, scale, priming tool, powder measure, powder funnel, chamfering/deburing tool, primer pocket cleaner, loading block, case lube pad and case lube) but you will also need dies for your specific calibers, a desk or table sturdy enough to mount your press and other equipment that has room/shelves for all the components, books and tools, a case trimmer, powder trickler and components.

I think that a single stage press is the best to start with, it takes a lot longer to load a lot of rounds with but the price and simplicity is far better and is fine unless you are loading hundreds of rounds at a time.

The sky is the limit for what you can pay for these things but you do not need to spend a fortune, for example you can get a case trimming tool and case pilot for about 15$ or a state of the art case trimming station for 400$ that will both do the same task.

First I would recomend buying or borrowing a loading manuel to read, the first few chapters can teach you enough to get started on your own (the rest of the books are just loading data)and some of the older hornady manuels have very good info in there. I have been reloading for 7 years and am self taught from an old hornady manuel that was given to me, having an experienced reloader help you get started will probably save you a lot of time and money though.

I have reloaded about 1000 rounds for my 22-250's and if I could recomend a powder to you for that caliber it would be IMR 4064, by far the most accurate loads I have rolled have been with this powder and it is very versitile for a lot of different calibers. The second best ive used has been Hodgon Varget for the 22-250. An excellent and affordable bullet for this caliber is the 55gr hornady spsx (spire point super explosive) for varmints, I have found these bullets to give as good accuracy as match grade bullets and the jackets are very thin making them open up really fast at 22-250 velocities

It is a great hobby for a patient person with a lot of time on their hands, it can be very time consuming developing a load for your rifle and take a lot of trips to the range and preping cases sucks!
Have fun, good luck and if the primers start falling out back the powder charge off a bit
. As the books will tell you its best to start at the minimum charge and work up carefully.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Kittery trading post in Maine usually has some decent deals on reloading kits and tools and often they will have free shipping to NB which can save you some $$$. I bought a rcbs kit from them a few years ago for 279$ the shipping was free and it was at my door only 4 days later.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kittery trading post in Maine usually has some decent deals on reloading kits and tools and often they will have free shipping to NB which can save you some $$$. I bought a rcbs kit from them a few years ago for 279$ the shipping was free and it was at my door only 4 days later.
RCBS kits are great. My wife bought me one 6-7 years ago and I have loaded nearly 2000 rounds with it. I added a hand-priming tool, trimmer, and some calipers and then rock and roll time! It is a wonderful hobby and really helps you learn the ins and outs of your rifles. I picked up a chrony 2 years ago and hope to add a run-out gauge this fall. All of the major loading manuals are very good. Good luck. It is a hobby you will really enjoy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get yourself some Hornady Unique Case Lube, this is a cream type sizing lube that you apply with your finger and it wipes off easily, no messy lube pad and oil dented cases! It's cheap and it lasts forever, i've sized well over 2000 cases so far and haven't used a 1/4 of a tub yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where is everyone getting thier powder and bullets from, got a rcbs rock chucker kit for xmas now to get setup withsome supplies. I tried cabelas but shipping was stupid for each, like 100+ fo powder and 30+ for bullets on top of the original cost. I am close to fredericton, but amwilling to travel a bit for a good shop

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where is everyone getting thier powder and bullets from, got a rcbs rock chucker kit for xmas now to get setup withsome supplies. I tried cabelas but shipping was stupid for each, like 100+ fo powder and 30+ for bullets on top of the original cost. I am close to fredericton, but amwilling to travel a bit for a good shop
i also got a reloading kit for xmas. i ordered some bullets and other equip. that wasn't under the tree from wholesale sports. shipping wasn't to bad. $15 i think. but i didn't order any powder- maybe that's what costs the most to ship. i was going to try sussex outfitters for powder. does anyone know if he has powder in stock?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have found it is the most cost effective to order in everything but the powder and primers, since they must be shipped by courier and that is very expensive. The Fredericton gun shop does have powder and primers, not a very good selection and a little pricey but still cheaper than paying the shipping fees. The gun dealer in Mcadam has a lot larger selection of powders and a little better price point if you dont mind the drive out there.

The cost of bullets, brass, dies and other components localy is way too high (double in some cases) but there is not much we can do about it unfortunately. I usually just do one really large order of bullets per year from either Wholesale sports or SIR, and one trip to Mcadam for a few pounds of powder and a bunch of primers to keep costs as low as possible.

The Fredericton Gun shop does sell some repackaged powder that has a bit better price point than the stuff in the manufacterers containers, it comes in plastic bags inside cardboard containers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Try Blue Mountain Sports for reloading components.

Gordon usually has a good selection of bullets,powder,brass,primers,dies,shell-holders,gadgets etc.

468-2919

1 - 17 of 17 Posts