New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Boys, she's the last day tomorrow. Jess is going away for the weekend and I have the boys but my Mom agreed to watch things and let me go hunting. Great to have a Mom who understands what is important

I sat this morning and had some does and kids go by coming from the bedding area and then a deer passed to the south of me..again.. without me being able to see it. I heard the same tine clicking as the other night so I figure it is a buck heading over to check out the bedding area
. That decided me...I went out today at noon and hung a new stand for another Ironman sit tomorrow off of the bedding area. I slipped in quiet as close as I dared and set it up in a small opening that seems to have a couple of trails crossing into and out of the bedding area. I forgot my saw so I still have 4 limbs to cut when I get there in the morning but other than putting a bow hook on she is ready to go.

Question is should I use scent tomorrow? I have some Tinks 69 and thought of putting some down but am debating whether I should use it or go "scent free"

If a buck comes through there checking the trails leading to the bedding area or swings downwind scent checking the bedding area I have a good chance that he'll be close enough to shoot. I thought though that if he wasn't and got a "wiff" it might pull him in. The thing is I haven't used Tinks much and don't know how he'll react to it. If he's coming in anyway maybe it will spook him and then I would have been better off not using anything.

What would you do?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I dunno ...... I'd have to figure that that big 14 pointer has sniffed all manner of commercial scent over the years and it hasn't done him in yet ...

Whatever you choose to do I wouldn't let it get in your head too much .... just set 2 alarms and make sure you are there in time to trim the branches in the morning and make sure your stand is quiet.

Good luck, we are all looking forward to the Pics!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've used tink's over the years. I'm sure that there are at least two different bucks that I would not have had without it, as I think that the curiosity got the best of them. I could hear them going past me through the woods, but I could not see them. I gave a couple of short grunts, they turned my way and went right towards the tinks. Other times I'm not sure if it brought the bucks in or not as they seemed to ignore the scent but it certainly didn't bother them.

This year Ive been using a new product from Qubec called Bo-Buck. It's all natural scent and is supposed to work great. I've had no luck with it yet, but I've had does all around me and the scent didn't seem to bother them, so I assume that it will, at least, not scare the bucks off.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Keep that garbage out of your area. That's a good way to screw it up real good. I've used just about ever scent out there over the years. Some put near scrapes etc... Always ended up putting the deer on high alert and then nothing for more then a week.

I would just hang your hunting clothes outside or on the wood pile and wash with non-scent soap.

Othe then that just don't even bother with any scents. You are better off walking through a bunch of deer crap if you can find some.

I use to like tarsal glands but this year I put about 6 out along an old logging road in one spot and watched 2 does the first night come up the road and started waving there head back and forth and tilted back when they got to the first tarsal gland. They turned around and left for a few days until I removed all the tarsal glands. Another spot where I hung some glands up made the deer vanish until I pulled them down. At least there were no photos.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Ok Boys, she's the last day tomorrow. Jess is going away for the weekend and I have the boys but my Mom agreed to watch things and let me go hunting. Great to have a Mom who understands what is important

I sat this morning and had some does and kids go by coming from the bedding area and then a deer passed to the south of me..again.. without me being able to see it.

What would you do?
WHAT WOULD I DO?????? I'd shoot the juvenile goats all you guys have been seeing...LOL Good luck tomorrow bowtech...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
WHAT WOULD I DO?????? I'd shoot the juvenile goats all you guys have been seeing...LOL Good luck tomorrow bowtech...
I thought of the "kid" comment after I posted it
Well if that goat is old enough and has antlers then he's going down

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. I think I'm goig scentless..well as much as possible. I know I have a good spot and the calmer they are walking through there the better chance I'll have. Till tomorrow night I'm off!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm thinking scentless is probably the way to go as well. I'm going to put in a long day tomorrow, I'm working overnight until 6AM, and I'm just going to go right into the woods when I get off and sit there, no time for sleep when it's crunch time! I've been hunting in the evenings and haven't had any luck since I scared the big one away on Monday. I know there's still obvious deer activity there, sometime between dark and when I'm returning at about 1pm. Tomorrow, I'll get to find out if he's coming in the morning, and I sure hope he is!

·
Registered
21 Posts
So where is that pic with the 14 points?

If you don't start connecting on these deer you're going to have to change your QDM practices or your deer will die from old age, or maybe you can turn your land into a retirement home for deer LOL

Thanks again for the great memories you allowed us to have this season.

Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts