New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this afternoon I decided to go still hunting instead of sitting in the stand like I normally do. I ventured into the woods following what ever deer sign I could see. after about an hour not really walking that far in the woods I decided it was time to head on back to the truck to make it before dark. I walked and walked in the direction which I thought lead out to the dirt road I left from, but the road was nowhere to be found. I started to panic a little thinking I should have reached the dirt road long ago eventually I came out to an old chopping and I though to myself oh $hlt where the hell am I. I walked around the edge looking for a road leading to the chopping but couldnt find anything. I seen a red flashing light in the sky like a radio tower or something and decide to head that direction eventually I found a dirt road by some miracle and let out a sigh of relief as I knew I wouldn't be sleeping in the woods over night. I have only started hunting this year and have learnt a few lessons on this hunting excursion. next time im gonna leave a note for the wife telling her where im hunting, gonna bring a lighter, and I might even get myself a gps or at least a compass. It still boggles my mind how I got so lost I was going the total wrong direction that I thought I was.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what gps unit do you have? I just started looking for one online so far its the garmin etrex H $110 or the garmin venture for $150

·
Registered
489 Posts
Remember a GPS is a tool that takes batteries. So when they die....what do you do next? Carry both for sure!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
A gps is an excellent tool for the woods, but in thick cover mine often wont pick up a strong enough signal from the satelights to navigate with so I carry a compass as well. I would not worry about a lot of special features on a gps I would get one of the most simple models to use and that will make it much cheaper also. Buying a cheaper model with less features does not mean the unit is of a lesser quality just that you are not paying for extra features that many people would never use.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Having a compass and a map of your area is a definate must have.
Spare batteries for the GPS as well. I never have less than 2 fully charged spare sets and newly charged batteries in the unit. Having a toy in the woods gives you something to do when there aren't any deer around...lol
And always remember, they can fail like any other electronic gadget. Never leave home without a compass and a map of the area your hunting.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nothing beats a compass.
GPS is pretty cool... but I don't go anywhere without my compass. I always take a bearing when I enter the woods, and I always take a bearing on the road I am on, and periodically I take a bearing out in the woods.

I had to do night map and compass navigation in the military,(that's when you learn a red light on a military map just plain sucks
) Keep aware of landmarks and you will always look like you know where your going.

There are 2 map books you should have. The NB atlas, and the NB offroad book. between the two, you get pretty good coverage of the province. If I am in an area I am unfamiliar with, I photocopy a few pages covering the area I am in, and keep them in a large lip-loc bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a small wrap around pouch for carrying some important stuff when i'm "still hunting" through any stretch of woods.It carries my compass,gps,small maglight,lighter,spare knife,granola bars and a few other small but important items.It's a good feeling knowing that you have these items with you.My gps is the Legend HCX.The H stands for high sensitivity which is important.I can honestly say that in all my times using this gps in heavy cover and bad overcast weather it has always kept contact with the sattelites.The gps is a handy rig but i use the compass as my main source of direction.One trick you can use until you get used to the gps and compass is to find four logging roads on a map that join to make a block or square.Head into this block taking readings and bearings from your gps and compass.You can get familiar with tese tools without ever getting lost.You might get turned around in there but you are sure to hit one of the four roads.By the way,the gps is good for marking the deer if you ever have to go out to the truck for help.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you go to this web site:

http://geonb.snb.ca/geonb/

and study the aerial maps of the area that you are hunting and use a compass and/or GPS (I just use a compass myself) you should have no problem. You will also get a better understanding of the area that you are in as well, which will assist in your hunt.
Wish I could download that site to my local hard drive... That would be nice with a laptop, and a USB GPS unit. Good for 4 wheeling... (Jeep)

·
Registered
489 Posts
The GPS/compass is first, matches or lighter, then a bottle of water and toilet paper....cause you just never know!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts