New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Got a 7 point yesterday, weighed 142 feild dressed. Ridgerunner and I travelling together yesterday as we were hunting the same general area. On our way he run over a licence plate and ended up getting a hole in his tire. So we come back and got my truck. He dropped me off at a spot where I always had good luck seeing deer. I walked up through a small clearcut to get to the woods. I had only be stillhunting for about 10 minutes when I spotted movement on my left. I got a glimpse of antler then the buck stopped behind a tree. A few minutes later at 30 yards he started quartering towards me. I raised the gun then put it down as for a moment I wasn't going to take him. Then the gun went up again and I fired. The buck took off and I threw another quick one at him. As I was standing there a little doe blatted then ran down toward the cut at 40 yards away. She stood few a few minutes than ran back up towards the base of the ridge right by me at a mere 5 yards. I then found a little blood 20 yards from where I hit him. Went a little farther and the blood trail got real good. He was piled up about about 50 yards from that. Ended up only being a 130 yard drag downhill
. I'll put some pics up later on.

This is how I found him.

The ole 7600 did the trick.

Looking up to where I shot him.

My crazy family.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats nbbucks, 10 minutes of hunting, gotta love when everything goes perfectly!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Congrats! NBB!! Nice buck! If I was still rifle hunting, I would have taken him as well. Especially with the season ticking away. Enjoy that young tender steak! I'm enjoying mine!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats! NBB!! Nice buck! If I was still rifle hunting, I would have taken him as well. Especially with the season ticking away. Enjoy that young tender steak! I'm enjoying mine!
I ate his tenderloin for supper last night. Oh my was it ever tasty!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Congrats again bud, the pics look awesome, get me a set too.Thanks for letting me hunt all day too..RR for those who dont know nbbucks and i had a shoot sequence to signal the other hunter needed help and to meet at the truck, well my great friend here decided that because he shot the deer so close to the road he'd let me hunt so when i came out at 4;30 i walk up to his truck and notice the blood on the closed tailgate, he tells me he walked the 1.7 Kilos throught he woods and takes his truck over to get his deer and goes scouting and pics up a camera he had in the woods and registers his deer etc..I had no idea and hunted back in the bush all day..

·
Registered
925 Posts
No problem bud. It was either stay in the woods all day or go home and do housework!
Guess I should also thank your old ford. Without that flat tire I wouldn't have seen that buck.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice buck .

How did the new gun sight work out for you ?
Worked well GG. It was raining a bit and I almost forgot to take the cover off the sight. Took out his lungs on the first shot as he was quartering towards me. He took off running quartering away but I shot again. I hit him again but it wasn't a killing shot. But he was easy to follow with the sight while running.

How was the deer herd in your neck of the woods? My buck was only the 2nd deer I seen while hunting the big woods and that is with a lot of time out there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"It was raining a bit and I almost forgot to take the cover off the sight."
-You have to keep it covered in bad weather ? I thought it was weather proof ?

"How was the deer herd in your neck of the woods? My buck was only the 2nd deer I seen while hunting the big woods and that is with a lot of time out there."

-I hunted every day of the gun season except the 3 Sundays , daylight till dark . I saw 9 deer , all does and kids . For the 1st time since '01 I went the entire season without seeing a buck . The bucks were there , but we didn't cross paths . They didn't seem to be going at it as hard this fall compared to other years .

Wet , Warm , and Windy - 2010 Deer Season

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-You have to keep it covered in bad weather ? I thought it was weather proof ?

-I hunted every day of the gun season except the 3 Sundays , daylight till dark . I saw 9 deer , all does and kids . For the 1st time since '01 I went the entire season without seeing a buck . The bucks were there , but we didn't cross paths . They didn't seem to be going at it as hard this fall compared to other years .

Wet , Warm , and Windy - 2010 Deer Season
It is waterproof but I didn't want to take the chance of the water distorting the triangle on the glass. Actually should go splash some water on it to see what it does.
I don't think the bucks were rutting all the hard either. My bucks fat was all there and didn't even have a tinge of pink yet from burning off. I've shot deer last week before that were rutted out pretty hard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts