New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pissed to say the least. DNR is in the process of deciding on the exact amount but the latest information I have is that Irving is pushing hard and DNR is going to permit forestry to cut 53% of the Deer Wintering Areas. We currently have 265,000 ha and by 2012 there will only be 125,000 ha of deer wintering areas.

All because Irving and the others couldn't manage the resources and are going to loos wood allocation.

If this happens our deer herd is doomed.

Please, everyone, contact your MLS and the premier.

THIS is sickening.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Was there a news release on this? Could you paste the link if there was...thanks

I guess DNR should change this on their website.
There is no news release, just word on the street.

Like I said, if you think this is sickening, contact your MLA. DNR is considering giving in to Irving needs because hunters/conservationist are not putting forward any arguments. DNR annoucemed the wintering grounds would be reduced by about 35% a year ago in the newspaper. Basically, DNR doesn't think deer hunters care

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to say I'm not surprised. I will be giving up hunting and will have a few rifles for sale. GOOD LUCK TRYING TO STOP IRVING.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Something was on CBC news tonight about this. Some scientists and conservation groups sent a letter to the gov about it. Loss of old growth forest .... etc

·
Registered
140 Posts
If this does happen, it doesn't matter what we think/do to try to improve the overall hunting in NB. The gouvernement clearly doesn't care about hunting, or what hunters think.

Hope everyone has a bunch of money to buy some private land. For those who don't, dont pass on a spike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its pretty freakin sad that our crown-land has turned into Irving land. They have cut all they can,sprayed all they can,and could'nt be bothered to leave a little peice for our deer herd which has had it hard enough. I often wonder why bother paying tax's to the province of NB, why not just give irving our tax dollars,their obviously hard up and it aint like the goverment of NB is putting it to the benefit of our wildlife. If they cared about our wildlife they would have listened to biologists about the negative affects of spraying and put some pressure on irving to hire some thinning crews(create a few jobs)instead of ruining our soil with toxic chemicals. I guess I'll be looking into buying some land and hope that the government dont decide give irving rights to that as well.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone should shoot Bruce Northrup or an MLA an email on this.
Gotta try to get at them before its too late.

[email protected]
The more people that email Burce Northrup the bigger the impact. Everytime the government receives a complaint emial/letter the count that as 100 voters. So 100 hunters complain then they think 10,000 voters are pissed off.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Email sent

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Email Sent!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I sent the follwing to Mr. Alward, Mr. Northrup and my Local MLA. Let's make some noise on behald of our wildlife.

"I am a university educated professional, father of two, and a tax payer in this province. I also happen to be a passionate outdoors person. I am frustrated that this province continually focuses on creating a short term jobs in the forestry industry, by bowing down to every whim of the forestry companies (Irving included).

This comes at the expense of the short and long term health of the wildlife of New Brunswick, and those voters in your province who enjoy using those natural resources. Whitetail deer is my biggest current concern. These animals are existing in NB at the Northern edge of their range. In order to survive harsh Winters, they require adequate forage and mature coniferous cover (especially white cedar). Provincial biologists have made it clear, that by allowing spraying of clearcut areas, and the continued approvals for cutting deer wintering areas (DWAs), our deer herd is not being considered or cared for. There is an opportunity for the forestry industry, whitetail deer and hunters to coexist, but the government must take a stand.

• Stop the cutting of DWA's, and in fact, designate other areas that should be allowed to regrow into suitable winter habitat.
  • Make spraying of cuts illegal, and instead have thinning programs in place. (This provides jobs, ready feed for multiple types of wildlife and the bio mass if left on site to biodegrade, it will ensure the site can be harvested again and again in the future without long term damage to the soil quality.

I think health care and education are important, but when I bring my 2 daughters out hunting to provide them some outdoor 'education', and I see what is being done to the province and the impact it is having on my way of life, and on the animals that live in these areas - that is what I think about at election time."

1 - 20 of 161 Posts