New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be my first year bear hunting i plan on useing my bow maby even a x-bow just so i can post the pics on here.lol. do you guys that hunt them with a bow track with a gun after you shoot one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
no i guide so not aloud to have a gun to track bears are not as bad as people think just go slow when tracking you will here them if they are still moving.

·
Registered
404 Posts
no i guide so not aloud to have a gun to track bears are not as bad as people think just go slow when tracking you will here them if they are still moving.
I wouldn't think of going in after it without something just in case . I had a freind shoot one awhile back got dark so I whent with him next morning bear was doun but stil alive , would not have liked to come across that in thick growth alone without a plan .better safe that sorry

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
45/70 Government C'mon!!
Its The Only Govt I Trust!!!
Hawoooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
242 Posts
we track them in the dark with flasslight. dont want to lose the bear to coy had that happen before. found one still alive on a sunday morning was shot satarday evening still alive. left him whent back monday morning still alive. had to put him down sport was gone home by then.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Track em all the time in the dark without any weapons. Bears spoil to damn quick to leave over night. IMO

Leave it over night and hair slippage, meat spoilage, coyotes, rain, etc all come into play. Go slow and look ahead and find your bear that night. That being said bad things can happen. Buddy of mine a few years back got chewed all to hell by a wounded black bear. That was in maine and luckily they had a tracking dog to start fighting the bear to get him off Mike. If no dog there, probably would've ended differently. Forearm bites, neck and shoulder bites then shock. Have to be cautious especially when wounded.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Track em all the time in the dark without any weapons. Bears spoil to damn quick to leave over night. IMO

Leave it over night and hair slippage, meat spoilage, coyotes, rain, etc all come into play. Go slow and look ahead and find your bear that night. That being said bad things can happen. Buddy of mine a few years back got chewed all to hell by a wounded black bear. That was in maine and luckily they had a tracking dog to start fighting the bear to get him off Mike. If no dog there, probably would've ended differently. Forearm bites, neck and shoulder bites then shock. Have to be cautious especially when wounded.
45/70 Behind The Ear...No Need To Be Cautious C'mon!!!
Hawooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
X2 I don't like to leave a bear over night. At night you can't track with anything anyway but all I carry tracking anytime is my bow.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The fish and wildlife act
unless you have a better source?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
[quote name='Bowtech' date='13 February 2011 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1297649803' post='18268']
unless you have a better source?
Captain Henry Morgan

C'mon

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
this will be my first year bear hunting i plan on useing my bow maby even a x-bow
Here is a good illustration to study...CLICK HERE

With a hole in the heart it won't go far.
With a hole in both lungs you will have little problem finding it dead not much further than if it had a hole in it's heart.
Best thing to remember with bears is that if they came to the site with you there even if they leave chances are they will come back.

TAKE YOUR TIME
SETUP YOUR BARREL FOR AN OPTIMAL BROADSIDE OR QUARTERING AWAY SHOT AND WAIT FOR IT
WAIT FOR THE BEAR...AND YOURSELF, TO BE RELAXED

After you take your shot LISTEN to where the bear goes and listen for a death moan.
Death moans don't always happen but if/when they do you should have no problem pinpointing where the dead bear is.
You will know the differance between a death moan and pain moans...promise.

I agree with the above that leaving a bear overnight lessens the meat and everything else.
That said if you think you made a poor shot...LEAVE IT TO DIE
Bears don't generally bleed well (fall especially) and they are very hard to track if unexperienced and even for experienced bear hunters for that matter.

Maybe Bullseye could "PIN" that pic in this category being as spring season is fast approaching?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Here is a good illustration to study...CLICK HERE

With a hole in the heart it won't go far.
With a hole in both lungs you will have little problem finding it dead not much further than if it had a hole in it's heart.
Best thing to remember with bears is that if they came to the site with you there even if they leave chances are they will come back.

TAKE YOUR TIME
SETUP YOUR BARREL FOR AN OPTIMAL BROADSIDE OR QUARTERING AWAY SHOT AND WAIT FOR IT
WAIT FOR THE BEAR...AND YOURSELF, TO BE RELAXED

After you take your shot LISTEN to where the bear goes and listen for a death moan.
Death moans don't always happen but if/when they do you should have no problem pinpointing where the dead bear is.
You will know the differance between a death moan and pain moans...promise.

I agree with the above that leaving a bear overnight lessens the meat and everything else.
That said if you think you made a poor shot...LEAVE IT TO DIE
Bears don't generally bleed well (fall especially) and they are very hard to track if unexperienced and even for experienced bear hunters for that matter.

Maybe Bullseye could "PIN" that pic in this category being as spring season is fast approaching?
Study that pic

Make a great shot and you should walk less than 50 yards to find your bear. I'v found that if your still blood trailing past 100 yards the chance of recovery drops quickly with each step.

Bear have a toughness to them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you gotta track, use a 12 gauge with slugs and/or buckshot.Point, pull trigger, dead bear.

But it's even easier if that's the weapon of choice in the first place!

·
Registered
542 Posts
tracking in the dark is a part of the hunt couldnt think of leaving a bear alive for 2 days sunday or not im sure if you got hold of dnr they would let you finish it

·
Registered
242 Posts
not a chance they will go in and do it. then you loose the bear. and i was not sure if that was his bear or if he even hit the bear there was no blood.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts