New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to sight in my .308 and maybe my .223 at a range. A previous post on here mentioned the Hanwell Road range. Is it free? Does it have benches, etc? I don't mind going to DNR for a sighting-in permit, but I don't feel like paying $75 for a gun club membership that I will never use for the other 11 months of the year. I would love to go shoot more often, but I don't have the time. So what's the story on the Hanwell range?

·
Banned
348 Posts
The government closed the Hanwell Range down for the time being because the back stop is not legal height. They told me they have no idea when it will re-open. So you have two choices, become a member of a private range (cheapest I know of is $100) or get a permit from DNR to visit a "Friends" private woodlot. Ironic that we can visit a woodlot with no backstop but we can't shot at a range that has been used for years and has a good back stop.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Are you sure its closed? did they just re close recently. Im sure a Friend got a permit not long ago from DNR.

Contact DNR and ask, Far as i know you just need to get a permit from them to shoot. You must shoot from the bench only (according to the signs)
I havent been in there, but i believe benches are there.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
just past the hanwell trap and Skeet club, go down the big hill its the road on the right (at the bottom).

·
Banned
348 Posts
I just called and they did reopen the range for sighting in only, sitting or standing but no target shooting. They apparently constructed a wall that we have to shoot through. DNR will also give you a list of unapproved locations that you can sight your gun in.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
A wall?, Ill have to go check that out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts