New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I was looking for a topic I was chatting in last year talking about how we can prove the spraying is directly hurting our wildlife populations I couldn't find it but thought id start a new thread and could we possibly get someone that could write an intelligent letter to david **** to table a bill outlawing herbicidal spraying on crown lands and crown corp easements by gov and private industry a like based on the info from the world health org saying glyphosates are cancer causing. then once we have david on board who would be the most likely guy that would help. if he would carry that banner we would then have to start a concentrated campaign calling and writing letters to our mla's vowing we would not vote for them in the next round if they vote against said bill and if you wanted to up the anti tell them you will be working your arse off for the opposing person to oust them

I hear a lot of people getting worked up about spraying poison (agent purple is the favourite today) on our land and if we put that much energy into writing letters and convincing our friends and family calling and writing letters we could have success. I believe a government official has to respond to a written letter at some type of capacity

last year I floated the idea of doing our own independent study of its effects on salmon eggs, frye, smolts due to overspray and proximity to water ways (those studies exist but are not on salmon and a diff set of conditions would have to be tested)

we dont have the money to compete with the guys that want this but we do have a voice and ultimately hold the keys to our lovely political representation and you know what they say about a squeaky wheel basicly bombard them with letters and phone calls eventually they will do something maybe if they don't maybe its time to look at a diff color then blue or red

·
Registered
415 Posts
We need support like the she gas protests received. Who knew burning police cars made progress. I don't agree with it but we need to get attention somehow. And no I'm not suggesting to do that. Everything I do falls on Def ears. So where do we go and what do we do?

·
Registered
780 Posts
These studies exist

1. Effect of spray on deer - NBDNR Deer Tech Report No. 16 written by former deer biologist

2. Effect on Salmon - paper by Fairchild

3. Effect on human health - I have over 40 published scientific papers.....and All MLA`s already have them because I e-mailed a paper a week to all MLA`s last summer to educate them and try and get a meeting with Natural resources minister Landry.......but they are too arrogant or scared to meet. For the whole story a media coop from Nova Scotia did an ``access to information`` and uncovered the whole story a few months ago (Google `the Cumberland files`) and read parts 1 and 2 - incredible.

What is MOST remarkable is that NONE of this hit the mainstream media in NB.....why Irving owns the media, and what he does not own he controls (CBC).

Actually, government`s response is the `new` website at `forestinfo.ca:.....lots of real factual information on herbicides (yah right).

·
Registered
780 Posts
What pees me off the most is the lack of apathy or real concern by the hunting community. Harvest this fall will be the lowest in over 40 years and we have a few griping on one thread, and two measley answers to your thread here. Maybe the season needs to close, (but government won`t do that...they`ll keep letting us kill deer until WE inihalate our own deer herd) - and then be glad they no longer have to deal with deer hunters.

We`ll wake up......when it`s too late.

·
Registered
431 Posts
since NS and Quebec have banned herbicide spraying of softwood plantations

can I be directed to the info on-line for the arguments which got government to ban it?

what years did this happen?

is it just on crownland?

there must still be plantations? so are they all manually tended?

does Maine have a herbicide spray program?

some links would help, here or in a PM

thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quebec was in 2001. The government actually asked the public what they thought and the public was clear - no poison here...so they canned it. NS is Crown land only, not sure on the date. Maine ? Well you know who the largest landowner is there (JDI) , so likely a mirror image of NB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts