New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a home brew cam still a feesible item to build, or is a person better off just buying a store bought. It seems some of the sites that sell parts no longer have them, but I really like the idea of building the unit myself.

·
Registered
571 Posts
No problem Getting all the parts you need, Check out Hags house, or Outdoor talk, I highly recommend Snap shot Snipper for all you Homebrew camera needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a great pass time but imo your not saving anything building them. Store bought cameras are getting cheaper and the picture quality is great. That being said there's something about building your own trail cameras. I was hooked once and built 4 of them. It's a great pass time during the winter.I built 3 that were kits using Bigfoot boards and Sony P41 cameras and I built one from scratch with a bigfoot control board

and a Sony P52 camera and a slave flash.

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00611.jpg

homemadetrailcamera002.jpg

homemadetrailcamera001.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Id assume, with a few spare parts on hand, if anything goes wrong, a home brew would be easier to repair?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Like building a go cart sort of Mu'in when you were a Kid , any thing you build is usually not to hard to Fix. Once you get a little practice at soldering on smaller work they are pretty reliable. Most of the problems seem to be related to getting the soldering done right and not getting water in the Cases when it rains . You really can build a camera with out needing to be great with a soldering Iron, and the Cases are pretty good really if you pay attention to a few details when building.

·
Registered
360 Posts
my first homebrew in 2001 was a Radio Shack Motion Sensor board, using a 35mm PF Owl sure shot! :D :D :lol:

The setup had no Time delay! if a doe Stood in front for 2 mins 24 pictures of a Doe :blink: !! Man those were the days! :D

Then in 2003 the Olympics D380 came out and i made 2 of those!

2005 seen the P41 born with the BG1 from Hags

Right now i have 5 S600 Setup's

However likely be the last homebrews i build,,,,,, WGI camera's are great for night pictures and battery life blow's away homebrews now!

For great night pictures you Can't beat the S600! :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
How old are your WGI cams? I had four of those 3 diff models and had terrible luck with them, sold em for cheap because I could never rely on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts