New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys , just wondering if any of you bow hunters that have been out in your stands have been useing any scents yet? such as tinks 69 , or some mock scrapes and if so what type of reaction have you been getting ? Do you think it's helping or is it a little early and maybe scaring them away for now? awaitting the weekend ahhhhh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Big Bore. Although I have not had the time to dedicate as I would other years, I am getting out a bit and have had some difficulty figuring out their travel patterns. I am in a familliar area and tried some Tinks 69 but I don't really see any benefit from it. I have not come accross any rubs or scrapes here in northeastern NB. I figure its a bit early for this area. I have read in some other posts that people are seeing rubs and scrapes in their areas.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
hey big bore!

i was never a believer in the scent until the first week of the season this year!
i was out sitting at the edge of a field....
and out came 3 deer
i sprayed myself down before i went in....
and they played around me for over 45 minutes
coming as close as 5 yards
and standing there looking right at me!
they knew i was there but didnt seem to bother them!
i was using the hunter speciality apples scent

so...do i think it works!
i was convinced!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think scents work, yes. If they didn't companies like Code Blue, Primetime and Tinks wouldn't be allowed to sell the stuff OR people wouldn't be buying it. Do they work for everybody? I think not.

Who do they work for? People who do their homework and know how to use them.
Who don't they work for? People who walk into the woods with them, spraying and going and expecting deer to come running.

The thing with using attractants such as doe in heat urine, dominant buck urine, preorbitals, interdigitals, tarsals ect...is that when a deer gets a whiff he or she keens up in anticipation that a deer is in the area. Sniffing and listening hard, if any of those scents is mixed with human scent then it's game over. Every time the deer smells you attractants it's going to associate it with humans.

If you're going to do something like make a mock scrape or a drag line or something, you have to make sure that you haven't also contaminated the area in your own human scent. Cover scents and odorless laundry detergent may help with this, but your biggest advantage over a deer in the woods (his/her own home) is your brain; don't mix your scent with attractants and you should increase your odds.

When it comes to deer hunting, the two biggest things are location and persistence. If you correctly combine location with persistence, the correct use of deer lures can't hurt. I do it!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think scents work, yes. If they didn't companies like Code Blue, Primetime and Tinks wouldn't be allowed to sell the stuff OR people wouldn't be buying it. Do they work for everybody? I think not.
Thats funny my friend... Did you ever hear of scent locker. Many people bought into that... I did to. Does it work. Apparently not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dale you are luckey they did not eat you,at work the groundhogs were eating flowers i told person who looks after them,to put some soap and water on them ,worked in past.lots of deer at work after weekend zero flowers left .Asked her what she put on them this she said handing me apple scented soap.Bought more flowers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only scent I use on a regular basis is the Scent Killer 99 by Wildlife Research.I've never been sold on attractant scents but I never enter the woods without a good coverup scent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only scent I use on a regular basis is the Scent Killer 99 by Wildlife Research.I've never been sold on attractant scents but I never enter the woods without a good coverup scent.
I've bought the Scent Killer 99 and have a question...if you wash your clothes with the detergent, say today, and hang them up for a week in a closet after they're clean and dry, will the clothes still be scentless and good to step into the woods in?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the thing is that sometimes folks isolate a single event or two where something happens for the positive and all the sudden they are convinced that they have found the answer. Spray on some doe in heat for 3 seasons and one time a buck comes in from down wind and instantly the conclusion is that this stuff is "the Bomb" ................. buy a grunt call and play it like a kazoo for the same length of time hear some Deer crush leaves all the way to ya from 1000 yards away on a trail to an oak ridge full of acorns and many wont think that in spite of the racket they came in but because of the grunting and they are sold for life.

There are plenty of stories of guys puffing away on a Cigar or colt that have had deer approach them from down wind.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've decided to do a little test. I have never used any of the stuff on the market, I was my clothes with a mix of borax and scent-free soap shavings then bag it up with pine. I don't normally call and rattle or use doe. So, for my own curiosity I picked up a bottle of Scent killer Liquid clothing wash "with no uvbrighteners", a bottle of scent killer 99 "super charged", a bottle of Code Red due, and a few calls (ridge runner, weezzy, and a bleat in heat, already have the racks to rattle) So, I am going to try this stuff out and see what happens. Only thing I have never been able to figure out and can't find anything on the market to help with... how does one keep their gun scent free? I don't think its possible unless you keep it unoiled, but would shure love to know if anyone knows a way without turning the gun into rust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scent killer sprays are just as big of a scam as carbon clothing and just another way for the hunting industry to fleece hunters out of their money imho.

I'd concede that they "might" indeed neutralise foreign odors to some extent temporarily when applied,but if you think they keep you scent free then you don't understand very much about human(any?)scent,how it's produced,how it's dispersed,nor the amaazing capabilities of a whitetail to detect it.You can fool yourself but your not fooling any deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts