New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I love deer hunting. So much that I turned down a surgery for November 8th when they called me the friday before to have my torn rotator cuff re-attached. I sacrificed this knowing I probably won't get another chance for a few months. But I had 2 weeks holidays booked for deer season and wasn't going to miss it for the world.

I know I'm nuts hence the name Bucknut.
So much so that in 1998 I had a head on collision with another truck on a bridge just at daylight going deer hunting in early November. Wrote the truck off and did several flips. Went to the hospital and got stiched up since I smashed my face against the steering wheel. Rifle went for a loop D loop but called up the cousin and had him pick my frozen face up and headed to the woods for the afternoon hunt. But stopped by the range and tried the rifle. She was only knocked off 4 inches to the right.

Sat in the stand til dark with my sore body and didn't realize how stiff you get after whiplash. Could hardly get out of the stand.

Would you hunt after this?Mine is the black ford ranger. The red vehicle is a Chevy S10 that I hit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah I'd still go hunting but I wouldn't let you drive me there.....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Wow, that's some wreck, you're lucky you made it out of that one. I know how you feel about hunting, I get my mind set to something and I'm going to do it no matter what gets in the way. I'll deal with the consequences later

·
Registered
925 Posts
My wife has threatened divorce over deer season. I'm still waiting for her to leave.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I timed my marriage for late October because the company I worked for back then gave ya one extra week off if you got hitched.
I used it deer hunting.
Can you believe that woman is no longer married to me?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Agree with all the comments...... You are lucky to even being hunting after the accident. I am changing tactics for next year. Back to duck hunting for a few weeks then on to coyote hunting until spring. Might take up bear hunting next spring.......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you mean like only 337 more sleeps until we do it again?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Much thanks to BuckNut for letting me know i'm sane ,inspite of the effort i put in this sport i eat tag soup for second year in row.But since i was 14 in 1969 when i bought my first 22coey at Margret Pugh's corner store in Burtts Corner, I never saw a shootable buck in four weeks of hunting.Up to 27 does and fawns a day.I would walk up to 6 kilo's a day looking for sign then sit at stand and see Three to Eight does and fawns last week in the evening.Where i work i see 16-20 does a day , no bucks,there used to be bucks.Some does that have fawns in summer [July] are too small going into winter to survive in my opinion.Field above my house used to have 35 deer in evening,rangers said up to 70 at nite,11 now.Brother in laws farm you could pick the deer you wanted ,now you are lucky to see tracks.My last buck a nice eight point i got in 08 i had a torn achilles tendon but was in woods every day with cast on scouting before season and after in gun season in afternoons after physio.Next year i will try bow .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts