New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know there are some who hunt for meat, some who hunt for trophies, some for pleasure, etc. etc.

How important is it to you to be able to say to everyone "I got my deer". I sometimes eat tag soup while having passed opportunities on small bucks and then feel embarrassed at the end of the season when someone asks me if I got my deer and I say no, when they have tagged out on deer smaller than I have passed. I feel I almost have to justify myself when I know I don't. Pride is a terrible thing I guess

I see guys who hunt with the bow early, then put it away once gun season comes and shoot the first thing they see? Others hold out for the last week and shoot whatever, or change their standards depending on how far advanced the season becomes, etc. etc. How much does it mean to you to say "I got one" vs the need to actually put meat in the freezer or not having to shoot one at all.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't need to fill my tag to call it a successful season by any means. Its all about the experience and if you passed up on a particular deer and that was your choice then you should be proud that you did cause deep down you know you could have shot it but choose not too.
I haven't filled my tag in 2 years but sat and watched my wife shoot a nice buck and that was awesome. I love the meat but its not critical.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Never had issues with that one.

I don't think I've tagged a deer here in NB in the last 5 years.

Could I have filled my buck tag? (I don't do doe draw...), in 3 of those 5 years yes, but at deer I did not want to shoot.

Hunting for me is measured in other means than a deer in the box of a truck...

I like to hunt mature bucks, but again this year I'm taking my son for a 2 day hunt in my favorite haunts, and I'm pretty sure if I see a spikey, I could be tempted to harvest it, for the meat, and to be able to share this first experience with my son, who has never been on a successful deer hunt.

Different ways of looking at it I guess. 3 years ago, my boy told me to hold off on a 3pt and to let him grow...maybe this year we'll meet again....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
With me, I'd say it is a pretty important part of the hunt. I really like to have some deer steak through the winter months for sure. Economically it doesn't save any money on my meat bill. Not after paying to have it processed etc. But I still enjoy having it as a winter treat.

But mostly getting a deer to me, is all about using the bow. After setting up my equipment, and tinkering with arrows and all the other archery gear. And then practicing all year (although that's fun too) I really want a live animal to shoot at. To help keep me on top of my game in a hunting situation. After all, thats what I started bowhunting for.

Now if I was into bears and such, which I just can't seem to form an interest in. It would give me more practice on live game. If I were allowed to "sell" those bears after I killed them that would be an incentive.
But I'm not ready to start eating bear just yet, and don't have a hankering for any mounts either. And I don't want to just waste an animal just for my live target practice.

So I'll just leave the bear hunting to guys who really want the meat, or a trophy. But it would be great practice for sure. Who knows, I might try it someday. But with only a one deer a year chance to hone my live game archery skills. It is quite depressing to have to wait another year all over again to get another chance if I get skunked. Which happened last fall. I passed up numerous chances on a couple of spikes. Then had a real big buck come in only one morning, the last week of gun season. But he did not give me a good shot. A rifle hunter shot him a couple of days later about 1000 yards away.

I have gone deer-less many years, since I started this way of hunting. And...I have also taken a spike in the last few days of the bow season, and then felt bad, because i couldn't bowhunt anymore. Mostly I felt bad because I would have rather waited for a little bigger deer with more meat to justify the kill as well.. Bowhunting is so important to me, that I hunt every year right to the end of gun season, until I get one..or I run out of time.

I know that I could get a nuisance doe tag as well. But I haven't shot a doe in many years, and don't really feel like it now either. It doesnt bother me that much not bagging a deer as far as my ego goes. I have shot a lot of nice bucks in my many years of hunting. Most of them were with rifle, and the hard way. So I have nothing to prove in that regard. And as well have taken many bow deer as well. Most of them were yearlings, but still good bow deer as far as I am concerned. "Any" game taken with bow is a great accomplishment. I hope that someday I can afford to go somewhere else bow hunting bucks, where I can take a couple...in a week. And get more actual different situation, shooting. practice. It sure is fun!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hunting for me is 3 things in this order:

1) It is sentimental. Family is everything to me, and getting out in the woods with my Winchester brings back family memories that are irreplaceable, and the look of pure pride on my fathers face the first deer I bagged. Can't wait to give that look to my son and pass down the family hunting stories.

2)The meat. I love Venison

3) The hunt. as much as I love getting out in the woods its something I do year round, but being able to stalk and outsmart the deer is a natural high for me.

Bragging doesn't really do much for me, most of my friends don't hunt so there is no one to really brag to other than the wife and kids lol.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not that important, really. Although a huge buck this year would be nice! lol

The time spent in the forest, stalking, tracking, even the snoozes mid afternoon under a tree are what I mostly look forward too. Being able to sit and watch deer eat, play, etc without them having a clue you are there means just as much to me.

Now that being said, I get to the end of the season & don't have a deer in the freezer, I do find myself trying to justify why I didn't take one of the deer that I saw throughout the season. lol

Each year I have new memories of what made that year's hunt special to me, whether I tagged a deer or not.

Now, ask me the same question about tagging a moose....and YES, it would be a very important part of the hunt! lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I was younger it was more important for me to fill my tag. now I seem to be a bit more selective in what I shoot, at least for the time being. I was fortunate enough last year to get a 9 pointer, and wow what a feeling to finally get a big one. Everyones preference is different, so I don't think people should let others dictate what they harvest, but for me I can't see anymore small bucks on the horizon. Just the thought of knowing that big guy could be just around the corner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I haven't filled my tag since 2003 and don't care if I do this year. It's not about the kill with me. Not anymore. I enjoy taking pictures and don't really enjoy deer meat that much. Having said that, if a bigger deer than what I got in 2003 gets a bit close, he'll ptobably be jerky and backstraps.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Up until two years ago, I used to feel like I failed if I didn't tag out. I would shoot a spike and feel sucessful. But know I measure my success on seeing and passing on deer. I had a bad year last year because I only scared up one deer all season. This year I will consider my season a success if I get to pass on a small buck.

This site helps as one realize that alot of good hunters are not successful filling a tag every year.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am of the mindset that if I get one, I get one and if I don't, oh well.I thoroughly enjoy the thrill of the hunt and if I get one, that's fanastic but if not, I have been in the great outdoors for most of deer season and enjoying myself to the fullest.

I am not very choosy in regards to horns and if a nice fat spike gives me the chance, He might come home with me!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
For me I want to fill my tag, but I've often not after passing on several does. I don't do a lot of passing on bucks. If I've caught some pictures or see a really active rub, I'll pass on a small buck in hopes to see something larger, but generally if I see something with Antlers (Not spikes), I'm going to take it. I can't recall who's signature it is that says "Shooting big bucks is easy, don't shoot the little ones", but that's certainly not been my experience.

I know some of you on here frown on that, but I'll tell you, my trail cameras just aren't filled with Monster buck pics like yours Bowtech, and seeing a buck where I hunt on crown land isn't as easy as it used to be. I know you've put a lot of work into growing those bucks, I'm not trying to take anything away from you.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Very Important!! I like deer meat!!! LOL

But I wouldnt be ashamed if I didnt get one.

As far as letting bucks pass, I do it every year. But I am guilty at the end of bow season I'll shoot a legal buck and be content, I wish I could get a doe tag for meat purposes and let the bucks walk.

I pretty much only bow hunt now and every deer killed is a trophy in my mind. Seen many many bucks on stand that would have died with a gun, but were not in position for a shot with a bow. Any bowhunter on here can say if angle, distance, etc arent right then your just an observer. That being said I'm definitely NOT a bone only hunter. I have killed quite a few nice bucks but that is because they were there when I was there. I wasnt just hunting for a certain big buck. Perfect example is the spike I took yesterday, there is an 8 pt in there regularly, would I have liked to shot him? ABSOLUTELY, but he didnt show, and the spike did. That spike will be great eating this winter. The 8pt can turn into a 3.5 year old and be a bigger buck next season for me. (hopefully) QDMA right..LOL

·
Registered
431 Posts
I do like deer meat and the feeling of getting a deer is better than not getting a deer
That being said I have not filled my tag alot more than I have filled it.
I like to wait for a good buck and if it doesn't happen there is next year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is important for me to tag out for the meat - not for bragging rights or to say "I got one". When I am fortunate enough to get one, my family and I really enjoy the meat and I also give quite a bit to an older woman our family knows who really apreciates it. I hunt zone 23 and was hoping for a doe tag but no luck this year. With three young kids I don't have as much time to hunt as I wish I had so I will probably shoot the first buck I see although part of me wants to hold out for a big one. I would rather shoot a mature buck but a spike will provide some great meals for us. I expect I will only get to hunt about 4-5 days this fall and I hope to come across a big buck. Someday I will take up bow hunting and be able to hunt closer to home (Quispamsis) and be more selective in what I shoot.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Its not tagging a deer that makes me feel sucessful nor is it that important.I do believe i have proved to myself i'm the hunter "I" want to be and am proud as that old buck that rules the ridge.Like "AR" said hes already proved what he can do and same as "Want A moose Tag" says i also feel sucessful after i pass on a smaller buck i dont intend to take...Good luck to all and i wont think anyhting less of anyone who dosent tag a deer this fall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With me filling the tag is not a big deal either..It is the idea to get out and relax and enjoy the hunt. That is one reason I only hunt by calling . I like to play the calling game and try to make the hunt as enjoyable as possible. To me a good hunt is making it as exciting as possible even if the big fellow outsmarts me in the end.I have played with some real nice deer over the years and seen some wild reactions. They have left many good memories and what I would try next time to bag him. Have let alot of good deer go early in the season just because I wanted to keep hunting and figured he was not the one. Like several have said I have went without filling the tag , but I never say to myself why did I not take that one . I hope everyone has a GREAT hunt

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know some of you on here frown on that, but I'll tell you, my trail cameras just aren't filled with Monster buck pics like yours Bowtech, and seeing a buck where I hunt on crown land isn't as easy as it used to be. I know you've put a lot of work into growing those bucks, I'm not trying to take anything away from you.
I don't grow bucks, I give them a little nutriton to help get them through the winter maybe but the only reason I have big bucks on camera is that they were passed on as yearling and two year olds. That 3.5 yr old 7 pt could have been harvested about 3X previous to this year and if he was then he wouldn't be around this year. Same as every other buck here. Many of them don't get mature because everyone around me shoots the first thing with horns but I can not control what they do nor do I have a problem with what they harvest. The only one I can control is myself and if I shoot it when I have an opportunity then I know it will never get any bigger. If I pass it maybe it will have a chance. I like shooting deer and I like venison but I also want an opportunity to harvest a mature buck so I pass young bucks and either hunt Pa, Grand Manan, get in on nuisance deer programs or convince my brother or dad to apply for doe tags and give me some meat.

I figure you can not harvest a mature buck if you elect to shoot a small one first and if you shoot him at one or two he will never get any older.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I will often set a standard for myself of 8 point or better but if I havent taged out and there is only a couple days left I will lower my standards and shoot for the meat. For me a succesful hunt means meat in the freezer. I hunt because I love to hunt but it is important for me put meat in the freezer not for the bragging rights but to eat.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
it isnt really important to me to fill my tag!
i do enjoy getting out, getting away from the office!
by the time hunting season rolls around i am long over due!
when i was younger all i wanted to do was fill my tag!
but now a successful season is just seeing deer and knowing i could have had one!
i always wanted to shoot one on my birthday and last year i had the chance...drew my bow up on it and watched it pass!
i had just as big of a smile on my face walking away as i would have watching an arrow slide thru it!
it's been 3 years since i shot a deer and i still consider them all a successful hunt!
would it be nice to have a big rack sitting on my wall....yes...but it isnt that important to me anymore!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts