New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow hunters and outdoors people, I have an idea about managing a hunting camp and I am looking for input on wether or not you think it would work, or has anyone any other ideas. I presently own a small hunting camp and it is on private land. I cut all the firewood, do all the maintenance, buy propane, upkeep, etc....long story short, I have a lot of time and money invested and I love to share. I am a guide and have been guiding people from out of province. (no charge) I have been doing it for close friends and co-workers. I was approached by someone who wants to come hunt whenever they want and help out with maintenance and property upkeep which would be more than welcome. Now here is where I'm looking for input.
I was thinking about drafting up a set of camp rules and (bylaws) if you will, that would set forth my stipulations. I was thinking about starting a membership. I would be camp president and for some small dues $150/year I would allow members who signed and abide by the rules and regs to hunt, stay, play, etc. This way we could have a camp fund so if we need any supplies, ie propane, it would come out of the camp fund and one person/me would not have the full responsibility and financial burden of keeping everything up.
What would you guys think or has anyone done anything like this?
It is just another way of having everyone who hunts to chip in a small contribution..
thx in advance.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Some 20 years ago 4,5 of us hunting buddies were approached by a common friend and asked us if we would help him built a camp on a piece of land that he had recently purchased and in return we would have the benefit of using HIS camp come hunting season , well sounded like a good proposition at the time until Hunting season rolled around and the camp was always full of overnight visitors and basically no room for WHO had actually built the camp ! Needless to say we all moved on and never returned. Like I said it's been 20 years and some still can't look at the guy. I moved on and built my own camp with the help from my son , my camp is open to my hunting / fishing buddies year round , it's not uncommon to get there during the summer and someone as cut my lawn , brought in some fire wood , ran the thinning saw down to the creek, no money had been exchanged as they know I would not accepted it anyway. So in return they help with the normal camp chores knowing they are contributing in keeping it in running order for all of us to enjoy.
Buddy's camp that we built as recently been sold as nobody was showing up there during hunting season and he was basically spending his time alone , Now he comes to Mine!!!!
I not saying what you want to do is a bad idea but it could cost you the lost of friends if their expectations are not met for a measly few hundred dollars.

Critter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Slinger, I like that idea and I would definitely pay the money! But you are lucky enough to own a camp, it may be something you should keep with people you know and family.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Slinger, I like that idea and I would definitely pay the money! But you are lucky enough to own a camp, it may be something you should keep with people you know and family.
I agree with this.
As a camp owner this is a can of worms best left unopened!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like a good idea on paper. But I'm pretty sure it would turn out bad. Like cdog said - leave the worms in the can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input folks! appreciate hearing from the people who have got the t-shirt...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a good friend of mine that lives a lot closer to my camp than I do. He goes out and cuts the lawn, helps me with the wood splitting, brings out some cut firewood every now and then and generally makes the place look lived in when I can't get there. In exchange he has my permission to be at that camp with his family when ever he wants and has full use of the property. Good deal for him, he as the use of the camp and none of the costs. Good deal for me as the camp gets looked after when I'm not there and I know him and his family are checking in on it from time to time and it doesn't cost me anything.
The bonus is that for a couple of weeks every summer somebody in his family will rent the camp for a weeks holiday with their family and that money goes into the maintenance pool that he manages, so it all works pretty darn well, mostly because no money is changing hands.
I think when you start charging any kind of a fee then people start having expectations of what they should be getting for their money which may or may not meet your expectations. Regardless of any rules that get drawn up beforehand there is always something not covered in the rules and somebody is going to feel like they are not getting full value for the relationship, but if no money changes hands then there is no reason for any body to feel like theyare getting shafted. Unless the camp owner feels he's being taken advantage of but then HEY its my place so I get to decide whether you get invited back or not.
Anyway, thats my experience and it seems to work well...so far

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey there, I would have to agree with most of these comments.When people come to my camp they now the rules, if you gotta write them down then they probably will be broken.I think you should keep close friends and family coming to your camp that way it will remain respected, its when you start letting people in you think you know, when the problems start.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey there, I would have to agree with most of these comments.When people come to my camp they now the rules, if you gotta write them down then they probably will be broken.I think you should keep close friends and family coming to your camp that way it will remain respected, its when you start letting people in you think you know, when the problems start.
At my camp there is always enough bottles to cover expenses. We are serious when hunting until our game is down then... well I collect bottles for the camp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts