New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long everyone keeps their trail cameras out after the season. Will they freeze up or damage them if you keep them out all winter?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was wondering how long everyone keeps their trail cameras out after the season. Will they freeze up or damage them if you keep them out all winter?
I left mine out until the middle of Dec for the last few years. Last year I put it out in April. I know that the cold are hard on bat. If I could get to mine during winter, I would leave it out, don't think the cold would hurt it. I know my old camera with a flash wouldn't work very long, sometimes during deer season, the bat would only last 2-3 days because of the cold. But these newer cameras with infared are pretty good. If you can get to it easily, try it, I don't think it will break it. It might stop working and if it does, bring it home and the heat should revive it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Left mine out all winter last year. It was pretty much in my back yard so it was easy to access the camera.
Batteries didn't last long in the cold weather, but I was using rechargeables, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

I basically just got the winter out of the 2 sets of rechargeables though...they don't seem to hold a good charge anymore.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I've just put one out 2 days ago, plan on having it run for 'till late February, the cold don't bother it at all. Same batteries I ran all summer. Freakin' good little cam. Bushnell mini-trophy. Tuff as nails.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I leave mine out till theres no more antlers, i have a couple wildviews that last about 3 weeks in this cold and my I-40's would run till late spring/summer if you put new batts in now.i have great pics with the I-40"s in -28 c..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Having used trailcams since the nineties and being a trailcam builder since 2003 and having sold nearly 200 of them I can share my experince.

First off - some digital displays will freeze in the cold. If you can't turn it off then there is a possibility it may freeze.

Alkalines don't last long. Buy lithiums or rechargeables.

Buy a camera that is good on batteries. Most on the market are power hogs. YOu will be carrying in batteries all the time and if they take several C or D size then you can imagine the cost and hassle to lug batteries.

Face them NOrth or NOrtheast. All these cameras are motion sensors that detect a change in temperature. So if your camera is in the shade and you face it in an open area then you may get a lot of false photos. As the sun warms up an area in front of the camera and the sensor detects a change in temperature from what it is at then all you need is motion to trigger the camera.

You should have a good Desicant baggy or some type of moisture control in your case or eventually you will get corrosion on your sensor board. It's going to happen! Zorb-It makes a nice little stick on one or use the ones out of pill bottles or shoe boxes.

I ran cameras until the end of March last year and used 2 AA rechargeable batteries in my Sony digital cameras. I would get 200 to 300 photos over a 7 day stretch. I kept the LCD on my Sony cameras turned off as that saves on power. I used a single 9 volt lithium battery to power my sensor boards.

It's fun and it gets you out of the house all winter long! The girlfriend enjoys bringing in corn, oats and apples and you never know what you are going to capture

·
Banned
112 Posts
I leave mine out til the tracks/deer disappear...which in my area is normally early January. I think I pulled the 2 cameras about a week after this photo was taken...once they are gone, they are gone....might as well keep the camera in the house and reduce the abuse of mother nature. The freeze/thaw is hard on the cameras IMHO.

This is a good buck (and another ? in the far right corner) actively hitting the last of a brassicas plot I had put in the previous summer. They pouned it hard december and early Jan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts