Every 2 years18.33%
Every 3 years00.00%
Every 5 years325.00%
Other650.00%

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Around how often do you buy a new bow, or new to you bow, it doesn't matter.

With pretty well any bow you buy today, you could make it last 10-20 years, just wondering how long it usually takes people to get the itch for a new one.

I won't be able to upgrade until I finish school, but after that I'll probably upgrade every year or two. Either that or put a ban on the Archery Talk Classified section...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Used to upgrade every year till I bought my guardian. Had it for three years now and no plans on upgrading anytime soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Either that or put a ban on the Archery Talk Classified section...
I know this Archery Talk forum classifieds all too well. It can become addictive, kinda like an achery liquidation center!

I usually get four or five years out of a bow and then get the itch unless I see something that catches my eye. Been a Mathews fan for a decade or so but I am eyeing the Carbon Matrix pretty hard.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
my last bow was 18-19 years old when i got my new one,i got the itch for a new bow within a couple of days after i bought my last one.it is a matter of needs over wants.i want a new bow but the kids need braces,roof needs replacing,you get the idea.my old(first) bow which is over 20 years now will still kill a dear or bear just as well all the new bows on the market.so really can't justify a newer bow at this time.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I kept my first bow for 5-6 years then sold it and upgraded. Then I found e-bay
, after that I bought and sold 1-3 bows every year for a few years till I got what I wanted. Bought and sold yearly then upgrading with year old bows and never lost money on a bow. Can't say the same on accessories. Then I found the guardian and have had it ever since. I checked ebay and they are still going for almost the same price I bought mine for back in '08. If I get another bow in the future I'll be out $$ because I don't plan on selling the Guardian.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good stuff.

The year old bows that are sold on Archery Talk seem to go at really good prices. You can save a lot of money buying a year old bow. Let people buy them new, and you can save a couple hundred bucks. Like Bowtech said "upgrading with year old bows and never lost money on a bow". Good way to find a bow you really like, and not have to break the bank every time you want to try something new.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
1990 started bowhunting using an old Browning Cobra
1993 Saw an add in an archery magazine for the then new XI Flatliner. (Fell madly in love!)
1994 Bought the 1994 Myles Kellar signature "Flatliner" at Atlantic Archery (Used it for 12 seasons).
2006 Saw Mathews Switchback XT add in archery magazine (Fell madly in love!)
Also saw new Bowtech Tribute add in archery magazine (started secretly cheating on other love)
Bought 2006 Tribute full Package.
2008 Saw photo of Bowtech Guardian (In firestorm grey target finish. (Love at first sight!)
Bought 2008 Guardian as described
2010 Saw the new Maitland Zeus Protype (well...you know)
Jumped on Maitland bandwagon. Bought Maitland Zeus (bow #51 off the first production line)
2011 Been looking at pics of new Maitland Retribution (as new hunting bow)(yadda...yadda ..yadda)
Last week .... Saw add for new Hoyt Carbon Element in archery magazine in camo( OMG!!! "Heart-beat"!..."Heart-beat"!

I'm im "BIG" trouble!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I hear ya on the Carbon Element. Sweet looking bow.
It sure is! I drooled over the Matrix last year.....And the Element is not much different, except a little faster. Funny thing is that at first I only wanted the Matrix in black (even for hunting), but now I find the camo version more enticing.
The Add on the back cover of the latest Petersen's Bowhunting magazine shows the Element all decked out with "Fuse" hardware...man what a cool looking set-up! Anyone wanna loan me some $$$!
....I'd say $1600/$1800 otta do it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts