New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said last September, I'm done with NB moose after about 30 years without getting drawn.
Nfld seems too expensive for me. Quebec seems quite reasonable, but I've never hunter there.
I don't even know what questions to ask!
Anyone who has ever hunted there, maybe you can get me off on the right foot.
I know I don't necessarily need a guide, but would you advise getting one for a first-timer?
What are some good outfitters to stay at?
Where are good areas that are not polluted with other hunters? (extremely important to me.)
Where are the good place to stay?
How soon would a person have to book?

Any and all advice gratefully accepted. I'm totally lost here.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Stay away from Zone 1 Gaspe which is the eastern half of the Gaspe Peninsula. Absolutely polluted with hunters even during bow season. Anywhere there are moose there are twice as many hunters. NO kidding.

I probably won't go back next season even though I have shot moose there the last 2 years. I'm tired of the crowds and besides 99% of the moose are small bulls.

And the weather is terrible. Since 2003 there isn't a year that it hasn't rained at least 4 days. Some years up to 8 days. I mean heavy downpour rain like we got here in New Brunswick this past November. I was telling my buddies that it was just like Quebec.

Save your money and go on a quality hunt for quality animals

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely don't want to go where there are crowds.
Did you go on your own? Thru an outfitter? With a guide?
I'm lost here.
I don't want to spend the family fortune, because there ain't no family fortune.
But I'm willing to pay what it takes for a hunt that I'll talk about for a lifetime.
Priorities are:
1 -- no crowds
2 -- good success rate
3 -- price
4 -- big bulls
In that order, actually.
Thnx!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good luck getting into the Matane reserve. I think it gets filled by residents only and the odds are probably worse then getting picked in New Brunswick for a tag.

I went on a self guided hunt since 2003. Did the rifle hunt up to 2006 and then switched over to bow then used a crossbow.

I don't think there are many outfitters in Zone 1. The success rate is less then New Brunswick when you consider over 25000 licenses sold for about 5000 moose shot. If you like hunting alone then you will hate it up in Quebec. They drive around to hunt. Worse place I have ever seen.

You are better off going ot Andrew Lake Lodge in Alberta. Use Airmiles to get you there and for the price you have a good chance at a big bull.

Other then that you can put in for the Maine draw and they have many big bulls shot there.

·
Banned
348 Posts
You may want to talk to Bam. I remember him talking about a secluded place north of Ottawa (the outfitter has a crown lease?). You can rent cabins and guide yourself.

·
Registered
481 Posts
LObster man Im certainly interested in splitting a trip. Looking for a partner. Would love to try it. Have most gear needed. PM me. Know nothing about it though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you want an excellent Outfitter check this link My link

When I was living in Quebec I went to that place for 23 years in a row. It's a fly-in hunt, each group have their own territory with a camp. Some camps are better then others. If you have hunting moose before you don't really need a guide. The best Territories are the following: Bier, Ducarney, Fish, Patricia, Moselle and the Snake. Here's what's included:

Air transportation round trip from the base to your lake.
Transportation of baggage and food to a maximum weight of 100 lbs per person.
Lodging in private fully-equipped chalet with propane fridge, stove and lighting, propane barbecue for group of 2 to 8 persons.
Quality, 14 foot aluminum LUND boats (2 persons per boat).
Swivel boat seats at most locations
MERCURY OUTBOARDS 6 H.P. to 9.9 H.P. & Unlimited Gas.
Topo map of the lakes and hunting territories.
Catch limited at all times: 6 walleye, 8 pike, 10 or 6 speckled trout, 2 lake trout (grey).
Most lake also have: Solar lights, Propane Grill (BBQ), hot showers, toilet. Screened fish house, swivel boat seat, radio communication.
Taxes (5 % & 7.5 %) are included.

The Owners are great people and will give you the best service possible.

If you need more information let me know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You need to get a job as fall/winter caretaker of a remote lodge in some wildlife paradise - with all the perks of being able to hunt big game and predators.

That's my dream retirement plan - first the Yukon, then northern BC, McKenzie mountains of NWT .... hunting mountain sheep, goats, caribou, elk, grizzlies, wolves ... I dream on and on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, one and all.
Sadly, our gang has come to the conclusion that this trip will have to wait until 2012, what with Christmas around the corner, several ex-wives and their husbands to feed between the three of us hunting buddies, and a trip to Long Lake for giant lakers in the offing for May.
I've printed off all the tips for future reference (we WILL be doing this trip, just not this coming season because I'm done with NB's draw system, so no moose hunt in NB for me unless someone invites me as a 2nd gun) so feel free to add more on hunting moose in Quebec.
I'm learning more and more with each post, so thanx!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have a solution to all those hunters trying to get there moose licence in NB.Why does Natural Resources do it this way.Every one who enters moose draw must possess a valid current card that allows us to buy ammunition,rifles ect.They all have a number for each person on them.Only those who have the card can apply.That would reduce 50% of the names in draw! No more wifes ,neighbors ,ect ect .Who are not even legally able to buy guns or ammunition!!!Or could it be a money grab like everything else for $10 bucks for each person who enters draw via phone!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts