New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well unfortunatly ruffed grouse is done for the year
. And i was wondering how good the season was for everyone? On my behalf it was the best year so far, harvested juste over a dozen of them, seen lots of other wildlife while out hunting too wich was very interesting (including a small 4 point buck 5 days after deer season was done
). I know most of the deer hunters mentioned that you feel almost lost after the season and thats how i feel now haha. Ahh well i guess it time to go get some bunnies instead

·
Registered
495 Posts
sucked for me, but that's normal when i hunt the deer archery season. Seen 2 birds about a week before the season opened. Second Saturday of bow season, I was out on the quad with a few others, no gun of course, seen 3. 2 of which stood on the road until I got within 5 meters, they know when they're safe I guess. Second to last Saturday of rifle season, was out on the quad with the shotgun, seen one, he skedaddled outa there like there was no tomorrow...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kinda sucked, saw all kinds of them but when i was hunting something else, mostly deer. I got 3 in total, one coming home from duck hunting, one on my way out to take some apples to the stand, managed to swap slugs for bird shot just in time, just chambered the 7's and he flushed, knocked him out o fthe air somehow lol and the last one on Friday night, picked him off with 17hmr while hunting bunnies along a hydro line, and i missed one last week becase my scope was knocked out a couple inches.I saw all kinds of them while deer hunting with my 30-30 but never saw many at all when i was actually targeting them, any i did run into flushed before i even saw them

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
30 This Year For Me...Prolly About 7 or 8 Trips!!
Expensive Lil Basta*ds Considering Fuel Is $1+/Liter
Cant look at er that way though or there would be no sense in huntin!!

Hawooooooooooooo Ca'mon w/ Er!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't say I had a great season. I was out and about lots for 'em, saw a grand total of thirteen. Managed to fire at four of them (the rest were Olympic grouse... trying out for the 100m dash), and put one in the freezer. Traded a couple of whole pheasant and got a couple more. Enough for a good stir fry.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rest were Olympic grouse... trying out for the 100m dash.
HAHA i know how you feel, was out rabbit hunting the other day and came accross 2 rabbits and they both took off so fast i didnt even get the safety off.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Only shot 3 and didn't have much time to hunt, but I saw far more this year than last, probably saw 30 or more when I wasent hunting during the season.

·
Registered
163 Posts
19 birds for me this year and my brother nailed 9. We had some great trips and i look forward to next year!!! And i seen a ton of birds that i never got a shot at.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You guys did better than me, shot 3 for the season. My H&R Sportster is cleaned and ready to go this afternoon, with I'll do better on Hare than I did on Grouse.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
26 ruffies fell to the lead spray my son and I graciously laid out in early October. I didn't hunt ruffies in November and December.

An average year harvest spread over about 10 outings.

Great fun with the kid!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, I would agree somewhat numbers were down. For the last few years my wife and I take the first
2 full weeks off and hunt hard. We did not see many flocks and the morning were not great. Late afternoons seemed to have good hunts.
And not to say to much.....but our numbers were down about 80 birds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took about 3 dozen or so this year. It was really hit or miss though depending on the day and location. I've spent 8 hours covering 30km or so (I'm guessing) and only come out with 1 bird and an unlucky rabbit (bird flew away, found the rabbit looking for the bird). On the other hand, I've gotten 4 in just a half hour in the same place on a different day. Then one day a trail will be great, the next day it's dead. Go figure. The beginning of the season was nice when you would spot one every 30 minutes or so. Things got a little trickier late in the season as I could go hours without seeing any but when I did it was always 3-5 at a time and they were easily spooked. Anyhow, spent lots of time in the woods, got lots of excercise, and the freezer is full. All in all a great season.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a pretty goos season. Where I usually hunt, there isn't many to begin with, so I spend my time looking for rabbits. This year, the local lynx and coyote took those rabbits and the grouse population exploded! I shot my first ever this past season very early on and then I shot another while deer hunting with my dad.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Me and Murphy still aren't getting along, seen more birds since the season closed than I did during the season. Now if I can only find some rabbits I'll be all set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts