New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw two does on Monday and there were at least three bucks shot around me. But yesterday and today I didn't see or hear anything . . . and I hunted 4 hrs yesterday and 4 hrs today.

How did everyone else do?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I saw two does on Monday and there were at least three bucks shot around me. But yesterday and today I didn't see or hear anything . . . and I hunted 4 hrs yesterday and 4 hrs today.

How did everyone else do?
That will get better with colder weather moving in this weekend.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I watched a doe Monday evening for around 40 minutes and didn't get out yesterday

·
Registered
531 Posts
Day 1 - Awesome day! Saw 4 does, 3 moose and 2 partridge. I could've done without the moose charging the truck, but that was entirely my fault. Taking pictures of a bull at dusk isn't adviseable. lol

Day 2 - Rain. I love hunting in a light rain. Yesterday was a bit more than I had bargained for. My rain gear has developed new leaks. and it wasn't a light rain. It was a downpour. haha. The area I chose to hunt yesterday has always been known for being a great deer area. Not anymore. It's now bear territory. I've never seen so much bear crap & puke before. My fingers looked like wizzled prunes at the end of the day...had no sightings of deer, but still a fun day.

Day 3 - It was extremely windy here today. Which is funny because my father-in-law only lives a 1/2 hour away and it wasn't windy there at all today?!? late afternoon we got heavy rain...to go along with the strong winds. The only sighting of deer i had today was coming back out the trail a doe & fawn have crossed the muddy trail. I suck...decided to come out a few hours early tonight. Worked out ok though...I didn't realize I had broken a brake line.

Back to work for me for 2 days...then back to hunting.

Although I haven't seen much since the first day, that's all good. Still early in the season yet. I always figured that a day of hunting regardless of game sightings is a heck of a lot better than a day of work!! haha

·
Registered
92 Posts
Day one my buddy and i were out WAY earlier than we planned, but we dealt with it, sat in the dark for what seemed hours. About an hour after dawn we had a big doe and last years fawn come out of the woods and start eating the clover in the field. I had my doe tag, so i was just lining up and waiting for them to come a little closer when two people came walking up over the hill, so they took off snorting. About an hour after a big spike walked out of the corner and gave us a hard look before my buddy dropped him. So we/re now 1/2 through the day and another guy on the far end of the field said he saw three does in another field, so we walk over, but theyre too far to try a shot, try to stalk up close, but they took off before i got close enough. The rest of the afternoon passes without any sightings, but then just before dark two does come out of the edge of the trees, but don't walk into range for a shot. Things are promising for next time though.

Day two was really warm and wet, so we brought the spike to the butchers to get it into the cooler and don't make it back out untill the late afternoon, no sightings in the wet.

Day three, downpouring rain, decide to catch up on some extra sleep.

Hopefully once it cools down again the deer will start moving more, can't wait

·
Registered
329 Posts
It rained pretty hard here this evening so I drove around a bit until it eased up around 6. I decided to take a stroll around a certain field where I had spotted a deer feeding by itself about a month or so ago.

Anyway, I proceeded along the edge of the field until I spotted a deer feeding in the same spot as a few weeks ago. Couldn't see it's head so I edged a little closer to the woods out of sight of the deer and moved ahead a few dozen yards.

When I moved out to look at the deer, it was gone, but just past where it was, I could see the back of a very large critter. Moose. Three of them.

Two bulls following a cow and not more than 75 yards away. Not sure if the deer winded me or if it went back in the woods to avoid the moose.

Anyway, the rain had stopped and the mist was rising. The moose were on a knoll outlined with the mist behind them. What a remarkable sight those black bulls standing erect with huge dark outline and antlers against the mist.

Eventually I had to leave and the moose spotted me and probably caught my scent. They trotted off a ways. One big fellow "gruffed" with that real deep gutteral sound. Warning me off I guess.

During all this time another cow moose down in the swamp had been moaning the cow call off and on the whole time I was moving around the field. Not sure what was going on there. Maybe a late mating going on or maybe the cow just heard me walking by in the sloppy mud and was calling to see who was there. Not sure why those two bulls were peacefully following the cow either.

Anyway, it was quite a remarkable evening. Sure glad the rain didn't discourage me from going out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Never seen a thing while out in the woods but when I got home, I watched a doe and two fawns mill about behind the house. Hoping to get out again Friday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts