New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes it's not good for us hunters reputation, that is one of the reasons we see more and more posted land. but on the other hand I do beleive that the owners should have had the dog on a leash close to them and not 40 feet away like it states in the story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really have to question if this was an accident - the hunter said he thought it was a coyote - the owner is holding a picture of what looks more like a yellow lab to me. Not sure how you could make that mistake. I'd say the dog owner is lucky he never got shot himself.

·
Banned
223 Posts
yes it's not good for us hunters reputation, that is one of the reasons we see more and more posted land. but on the other hand I do beleive that the owners should have had the dog on a leash close to them and not 40 feet away like it states in the story.
Go measure out 40 feet and look at it. That is BS for an accident like this to happen. This guy was a neighbour, not some joe blow driving down the highway shooting at a buck in a field too close to houses. He knew EXACTLY where his neighbours house was and how far he needed to be away. Buddy needs to give up hunting if he can't tell the difference between a coyote and a dog especially hunting 290 meters from the closest house.

There are two older guys that I know of that shoot at THINGS because they can't see very well. I think that one of them isn't even allowed to drive, but still does? For several years I have found deer carcasses 50-300 m from the bait pile where they hunt. I am presuming that these deer would have fallen into their MISS category. Needless to say I don't even walk by this place in rifle season. Everyone should know when to pack it in if and when their vision gets to be a problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
im pretty sure you can shoot from the highway or any road for that matter...as long as you are 400 meters from a dwelling...but i could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time

·
Banned
223 Posts
You can shoot from a highway/road, but not across. Anyways, my point was that type of shooting happens fairly often when people fire at something they see in a field and don't realize that they are too close to houses. This yahoo lived next door and was still hunting too close to his neighbours house.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not sure how someone can mistake a yellow lab for a coyote at that distance, especially knowing exactly what the neighbour's dog looks like and exactly where the neighbour's house is.
Something is fishy here. Almost sounds like some neighbours in conflict over a dog. But I don't know nothin', just guessing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't leash my dog on my property, why should this fellow?

The shooter was 100% at fault. No iff, ands or buts.
Basic firearms safety states to be sure of you target BEFORE placing your finger on the trigger let alone shooting.
If the shooter was not 100% certain of his target he should not have shot. PERIOD!

I wonder how many moose and/or cattle this fellow shot illegally, "I thought it was a deer".

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Not sure how someone can mistake a yellow lab for a coyote at that distance, especially knowing exactly what the neighbour's dog looks like and exactly where the neighbour's house is.
Something is fishy here. Almost sounds like some neighbours in conflict over a dog. But I don't know nothin', just guessing.
I agree 100%!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't leash my dog on my property, why should this fellow?

The shooter was 100% at fault. No iff, ands or buts.
Basic firearms safety states to be sure of you target BEFORE placing your finger on the trigger let alone shooting.
If the shooter was not 100% certain of his target he should not have shot. PERIOD!

I wonder how many moose and/or cattle this fellow shot illegally, "I thought it was a deer".
I agree 100% as well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts