New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Odd.. shouldn't fire with bolt open.. makes more sense if a hang fire..

But if I were him I'd contact Savage .. see a possible recall looming on the horizon if thats the case.

Says out hunting Sunday...: Can you hunt on Sundays yet?

then again its the CBC.. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I read some more stuff on this posted I think on Facebook by the fella that was involved but I can't find it anywhere. He clarified that they were on the range not huntng. They also determined it had something to do with a firing pin lock that was external on an Axis. I didn't understand exactly what they were talking about but indicated if that external lock/retainer happened to get hit by something it would release the firing pin while the bolt was in an open position? I don't know anything about Savages but that was the thing people seemed to agree on. Others have said he was having trouble chambering the cartridge and it may have been an incorrect cartridge, which was why it wouldn't chamber, that he was mistakenly trying to force in the chamber and managed to set it off somehow.

The did have some different close up pictures of the bolt and shell.

I do know the fella said he bought the rifle last year 30-06 Savage Axis and while I'm no expert and the close up pictures weren't definitive, but it looked to me like there was an awful lot of rust and pitting on the bolt handle for a new rifle. Might have been just the lighting and the angle, but looked like poor maintenance to me. I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Go to 1:45 - Its where it "shows uncocking the bolt (puts the firing pin forward)"..
Seems it may be possible...may be something to keep in mind for us Savage owners...
I had never thought about it before...

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think that pretty much closes the book on what happened Mu'in. Cartridge wouldn't chamber and was engaged by the bolt, at some point in trying to remove or reinsert the cartridge the bolt was uncocked and drove the firing pin into the unchambered cartridge...Bang...

Really really good example of how sometimes bad stuff just happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts