New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever bought anything from Hunter's Friend? I've been thinking about getting a bow (as some of you know), and they seem to be very informative and helpful, I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them personally and gotten anything shipped to Canada from them?

Specifics on your dealings would be awesome. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wardo, I bought my 2006 Tribute from them. I also ordered a 2007 Tribute for a co-worker as well. The way I did it was to have the bows shipped to Houlton Maine. So they were handled like U.S. orders. I used Beaver Brokerage in Woodstock. They make daily trips across the border, and are very reasonable. They have an office in Fredericton, and delivered the bows to that location, where I picked them up. I am sure that Hunters Friend will ship to Canada as well.

These bows were complete ready to shoot packages, (Case, arrows, release etc) and were set up perfectly. They really know their stuff. Some people believe that you can not have a bow set up for you unless you are in a bow shop in person. But these guys at HF prove that wrong. They are experts at this game, and have been doing this for a long time. All both of these Tributes needed was a little tweeking of the sight pins. Just read some of their customer reviews.

Their bow package prices are also unbeatable. And you can change anything in the set-up that you want to an upgrade. I would not hesitate to buy another bow from them. If I had the $$ I would buy a new "Assassin" in a heart-beat.. just to try one out! But I am having a difficult enough time coming up with money to deck out my new Zeus!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wardo, I bought my 2006 Tribute from them. I also ordered a 2007 Tribute for a co-worker as well. The way I did it was to have the bows shipped to Houlton Maine. So they were handled like U.S. orders. I used Beaver Brokerage in Woodstock. They make daily trips across the border, and are very reasonable. They have an office in Fredericton, and delivered the bows to that location, where I picked them up. I am sure that Hunters Friend will ship to Canada as well.

These bows were complete ready to shoot packages, (Case, arrows, release etc) and were set up perfectly. They really know their stuff. Some people believe that you can not have a bow set up for you unless you are in a bow shop in person. But these guys at HF prove that wrong. They are experts at this game, and have been doing this for a long time. All both of these Tributes needed was a little tweeking of the sight pins. Just read some of their customer reviews.

Their bow package prices are also unbeatable. And you can change anything in the set-up that you want to an upgrade. I would not hesitate to buy another bow from them. If I had the $$ I would buy a new "Assassin" in a heart-beat.. just to try one out! But I am having a difficult enough time coming up with money to deck out my new Zeus!
AN, thanks!

The Assassin (or the 2011 Stinger) is exactly what I'm thinking, it's got such great reviews and seems like a pretty great deal for $699 fully stocked. Since I currently have NOTHING to do with Archery, I need it all and that seems like a good way to go. Before I order anything I want to go to an Archery shop around here (somewhere?) and try out a few bows just to make sure I know what I want to buy. There are specifics that I have read about and figured based on measurements and the handy charts, but putting them into practice is probably the best idea right (draw weight, draw length, etc)? The last thing I want to do is spend 700+ bucks and have something I don't like/can't use. I don't think there are any Archery shops in or around Saint John, but I'm not far from Sussex obviously and I've noticed some of the posts say good things about some guys there.

I'll look into the Brokerage in Woodstock you mentioned, were they costly? I know I can get things shipped to the hardware store in Calais, I've done that for other things, and then just swing across the border and pick it up, of course paying taxes on the way back. That might be easier again than shipping to Canada. The website mentions shipping to Canada for approximately $69, but then when I have to pay $90 in tax when it gets to my door it might be smarter to take advantage of the free shipping to Calais and drive. Things to ponder while I try to convince the (very pregnant) wife that it's a good idea

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Beaver Brokerage was very reasonable. I think it only cost me about $30. (may be more now with fuel prices. And that was delivered to Fredericton. But even double that price is not bad. There is no duty charge for items made in the US, but of course you can't beat the tax man. But still, with the exchange rate so good right now, it would still be a real good deal. And BB also pays the tax bill for you, then you pay them on pick-up. Another plus is that they deal with customs all the time, and the border guys are familiar with them.

This is assuming that Hunters Friend will still ship it that way. Some companies will only ship to actual addresses, not a drop of point. But you can inquire about it.

The guy I deal with at Beaver Brokerage is a really nice guy as well. He is a bowhunter also...gee...now that I think about it! I ran into him at the meat cutter this fall when we were both picking up our deer meat. I think he said that his son was a member on this forum. Man...I plum forgot about that! He was talking to him on the phone..telling him ...about talking to me. Now I can't remember his handle though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A PSE STINGER CABELAS CANADA HAS THEM 0N FOR $299.00 READY TO SHOOT SALE ENDS FEB 28

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In my opinion the Assassin is the better bow of the two. And the far better deal. Not to mention it is the faster of the two. Has parallel limbs, and is a twin cam bow. Now I know that is without me handling or shooting either of them. But then again I did not shoot either my Tribute, Guardian or Zeus before buying them. And I do not regret any of those purchases!
Now I know that I am Bowtech fan, but my opinion is based on the reviews this bow has gotten as well. For the $$ this is a steal! Check out Ike's review on the Assassin on You Tube. "Ike's Outdoors'

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
542 Posts
i got a cabelas flyer in the mail last week its there end of season clearance saleherea there toll free number 800-265-6245 chech www.cabelas.ca and go to bargain cave

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my opinion the Assassin is the better bow of the two. And the far better deal. Not to mention it is the faster of the two. Has parallel limbs, and is a twin cam bow. Now I know that is without me handling or shooting either of them. But then again I did not shoot either my Tribute, Guardian or Zeus before buying them. And I do not regret any of those purchases!
Now I know that I am Bowtech fan, but my opinion is based on the reviews this bow has gotten as well. For the $$ this is a steal! Check out Ike's review on the Assassin on You Tube. "Ike's Outdoors'
Trust me sir, I've been watching reviews. Driving everyone crazy with reviews is more like it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Im a big pse guy myself, but there is no way the stinger can compare to the assasin, The bowtech is the better bow of the two, Maybe a comparison between the assasin and the brute is a litle more fair,

Nuthen wrong with the stinger but it is an budget level bow, Brute and assasin are a step above it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just for comparison sake. Back in 2006, the then "brand new" Tribute was the cats meow. And Bowtech, as well as Hunters Friend sold a pile of them. I can't remember for sure, but I think the bare bow went for around $700. The full package was maybe $900/$1000. The exchange rate back then was probably around 20 cents/dollar. That plus the HST, and brokerage fee etc ...I probably ended up close to $1500 in the end. Now the exchange rate is almost even. And comparing the Assassin to the Tribute, and what you get in a package deal. Like I said..to me..its a steal! But I guess its all in what you want. I would not hesitate in the slightest to spend $1200 + on a Carbon Element... if I had any bow money that is. Cause I "really" want one! And if that is what I have to pay for it...then so be it! "If" I had any bow money that is! "LOL"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
AT HF the Assassin is $599 for the RAK package. Another $100 US plus shipping and HST gets you
six arrows, a hard case, a release, and 3 pak of broad heads. Plus, the bow is professionally set-up, paper-tuned, chronographed, and 20 yard top pin sighted in.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This is a pic of my 2006 Tribute package, the day it arrived. It has been an "Awesome" hunting bow! I did not get broadheads with my deal, because I chose both speed, and smooth mods instead. I prefer the smooth. I did not get a quiver either, because I used the tru-glo Axis revolving one from my old XI Flatliner. I now have an HHA sight on this bow as well.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AT HF the Assassin is $599 for the RAK package. Another $100 US plus shipping and HST gets you
six arrows, a hard case, a release, and 3 pak of broad heads. Plus, the bow is professionally set-up, paper-tuned, chronographed, and 20 yard top pin sighted in.
It definitely seems worth it to me to go with the $100 US extras, since at this point I have nothing. Today I went to Sussex to check out Sussex Outfitters, and turns out that even though their slogan says "Your source for Archery" right in it, they have ZERO archery supplies or bows. One Crossbow hanging on the rack was it. Then, since I was already up there, tried to call Tecc, but he said that he was out running errands so he was finished for the day. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im a big pse guy myself, but there is no way the stinger can compare to the assasin, The bowtech is the better bow of the two, Maybe a comparison between the assasin and the brute is a litle more fair,

Nuthen wrong with the stinger but it is an budget level bow, Brute and assasin are a step above it.
You're right, it wasn't meant to be a "which bow is better" comparison, but more of a "which bow should I buy to start with" kind of thing. At HF the Stinger package is $499 US and the Assassin is $699, so you would expect the Assassin to be the better bow. I would guess that a more fair comparison based on HF packages would be the Assassin vs. the PSE Bow Madness XS. $699 vs. $685.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts