New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be putting my head on the chopping block here but it's just something that bothers me a lot when out in the big country especially on logging roads. Some people seem to think that logging roads are racetracks. We were in an area of logging roads a few weeks back and between 12 to 15 ATV's came in the area and you would not believe the garbage they left behind that's one thing the second thing is maybe 3 of the bunch had helmets the third and most frightening thing was at the end of their day of so call fun they came on to the highway without knowing they had to stop, one manage to avoid hitting us and if there would have been a vehicle coming facing us it would have been a big collision. I have to vent this out as it's not the first time we witness this and I am sure that no one would like to have to witness an accident about to happen because of such carelessness. And by the way some had passengers on wives or girlfriends and still no helmets. Anybody have any idea about this?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
LOL don't get me started on ATV's

We have both ends of the property gated to keep out the ATV's but the logging roads on the roadway are open. Everyone warned me that if I did they would burn me out. I just let it be known that they better make sure they got me when they did. Why people think they have the right to run over other peoples ground without permission is beyond me. I wouldn't do it to their land and I don't expect others to do it to me.
Last year they lifted the gate off the hinges. Had an ATV come out behind the house yesterday, turn around at the gate here by the house and left pronto. I went to see how he got in and found they cut the logs in front of the far gate then got the gate open. I think they are a great tool but some guys think they have the right to do whatever they want on them. It is usually just a few but the few give everyone a black eye. Before we gated the ends I had guys running through the fields, up and down the logging roads and even through the DU pond. It only has 12" of water and they must have thought it pretty fun to run them through it. I had enough at that point and closed the access off. I wonder how they would feel if I tore up their front lawn with my truck? Had a couple of local young fellows come in by the house and take off towards the far end the other year. I knew it was gated so I went up with the truck and blocked the roadway then walked down to the gate. They had tried to get around the far gate and flipped one of the bikes over the bank and it wedged against a tree. They were trying to get it up without luck when I got there. I asked them if they needed a hand and they looked pretty sheepish but said they did. I helped get it back up and explained why I had the gates up and asked they not do it again, so far they have been good to their word.

I opened the gates one weekend this summer for a horse trail ride. It didn't take a day before the ATV's were running it. I closed them again after the trail ride weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I love fourwheelers, but last year a fourwheeler came right through where I was waiting for a deer stopped 10 feet in front of me, and didn't even see me. I was wearing all orange, I could tell he was drunk, unless his coordination was bad, and he got on his fourwheeler and drove off. this is my uncles land, and apparently they get drunk people in there every season just shooting off rifles into the air, or driving all over the deer beds! talk about frustrating.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah my grandfather fenced of the family woodlot about 20 years ago, poured sonotubes and set metal poles with a metal gate, lasted a week before the wheelers plowed it over. He allows the snowmobile association to use the rd as a trail, all they do is leave beer cans every two weeks i have to pick up. Last year had a skidder come through my lot tearing the road to shreds, they cut about 20 trees at the end of the lot and made a trail into another logging rd. Put up a bridge over a stream, allow the snowmobilers to use it and now the wheelers enjoy doing break burns on it. Go out this weekend find a back trail that used to be a old logging road all trimmed up and lead to a campsite which is littered with garbage. To give them credit they had a garbage bag full of garbage sitting there as well... But what can you do, i dont live on the property but visit at least once a week. They make it very hard to keep the land unposted but the straw has almost broke the camels back, and soon land used by many locals might not be available for people to use because of a few bad apples

·
Registered
495 Posts
I hate to read about this type of disrespect for other peoples property. I am an avid ATver myself but think it's disgraceful the damage to property and environment as well as the littering and public drinking/driving that goes on. In more rural areas I'm still seeing lots of 3 and 4 wheelers running without helmets or registration/insurance. Some riders appear totally ignorant of the laws.

If you are having problems with ATVers, you can contact the Off-Road Vehicle Enforcement Unit When they get enough complaints, they will patrol teh area for violators.

Also, if you have a local ATV club, they may also help by getting the word out, sometimes that's all it takes to smarten up some people, a little peer pressure. Not to mention, they want good relationships with landowners too.

As far as litter, wow, there are a lot of slobs around, last time I was up to the Honda Hole, there was at least $5 in beer cans along that section of trail, too bad I didn't have any space left to carry them out, can always use a little gas money. I encourage other riders to pickup garbage cuz sure as heck we ATVers will catch the blame where a tire mark is found near garbage.

So for you property owners that haven't posted your land, I applaud you but can fully understand your reasons when you've had enough and post it and/or gate it. It your land after all.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Guess I am not so nice. I would simply put a spiked belt under the gate, that would get the message across.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow this thread is quickly becoming about landowner rights vice ATV manners. Being a landowner who likes to do a bit of ATVing It would be nice to strike a balance where by ATVers have access to trail systems without damaging peoples property or disturbing them. We have two properties one is a 50 acre woodlot that fronts on a dirt road with very minimal trails on the property, the other is 100 acres that has a road running through the middle of it that has had public access for years however to the best of my knowledge there is no actual "right of way" across this property. This makes for harder control as there are a few old roads that go in at different places where people have been nice enough to dump off things like old car parts, rear ends etc. Damn well PI$$es me off however the average guy who rides his quad through our land is just passing through as it is crown land on the other side. So I would be hesitant to block access as local people have been travelling through there for generations. Anyway when I'm out on my quad I just follow a few simple rules, I don't open any gates on anyones land whether it's posted or not unless I have permission. I just try to stick to the main trails that everyone else is using that cross unposted private land. The garbage issue, well anybody could be littering from their truck, ATV etc and it's not exclusive to the ATV crowd. Sometimes I'll bring a shopping bag with me and pick up whatever I can especially if I'm fishing at a stream. I would hope that in NB we could strike a balance between access for ATV's and landowner rights, however I know that in some locations a few people will spoil it for everyone else.

Bill G
Oromocto, NB

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have quite a bit of ATV traffic across my land and for the most part it is problem free and the riders keep my trails free of fallen trees and the bridges up so I dont have to which is a good balance for me, but I can understand how a few can ruin it for everyone. I also dont bother other hunters on my own land as long as they are respectful, but I do have a problem with people that post their own land no hunting, and block their land from atv usage, and come on mine and other peoples to hunt and run atv's.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My property is gated on the top end by the highway but there is a trail that runs into the back end of my property from crown land. I have a sign at the back end that says USE RESPECT. ASK PERMISSION.
I don't want to block off the back end because frankly I'm afraid to and I know that any gate I put up would get torn down. Also I don't really mind people using the trail as long as I know who they are and all I ask is that you stop and let me know who you are.
Long story short the only people who ever stop and say hi are people that I already know like neighbors or friends of neighbors taking the shortcut to go visit. Lots of ATV's drive right through my yard and never even slow down and I've seen beer bottles being tossed into my woodpile. I had a family gathering a few weekends ago and left my gate open so my family could get in, gate wasn't open an hour before a 1/2 ton with 5 people in the cab and 2 atv's with 2 people on each and not a helmet in site.come driving into my yard, pile on the binders and fire into reverse when they realized there were people there. Of course I got out to the truck before they cleared the yard and asked what the heck they were doing down a private gated road with no trespassing signs on the gate and the response I got was "we were just looking for someplace to go fishing" The point is I don't think its an ATV problem, I think its a people problem who have no respect for yu or your property which is why they feel they can ride all over it and throw garbage where they please cause they just don't care...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have quite a bit of ATV traffic across my land and for the most part it is problem free and the riders keep my trails free of fallen trees and the bridges up so I dont have to which is a good balance for me, but I can understand how a few can ruin it for everyone. I also dont bother other hunters on my own land as long as they are respectful, but I do have a problem with people that post their own land no hunting, and block their land from atv usage, and come on mine and other peoples to hunt and run atv's.
X2

·
Registered
404 Posts
My property is gated on the top end by the highway but there is a trail that runs into the back end of my property from crown land. I have a sign at the back end that says USE RESPECT. ASK PERMISSION.
I don't want to block off the back end because frankly I'm afraid to and I know that any gate I put up would get torn down. Also I don't really mind people using the trail as long as I know who they are and all I ask is that you stop and let me know who you are.
Long story short the only people who ever stop and say hi are people that I already know like neighbors or friends of neighbors taking the shortcut to go visit. Lots of ATV's drive right through my yard and never even slow down and I've seen beer bottles being tossed into my woodpile. I had a family gathering a few weekends ago and left my gate open so my family could get in, gate wasn't open an hour before a 1/2 ton with 5 people in the cab and 2 atv's with 2 people on each and not a helmet in site.come driving into my yard, pile on the binders and fire into reverse when they realized there were people there. Of course I got out to the truck before they cleared the yard and asked what the heck they were doing down a private gated road with no trespassing signs on the gate and the response I got was "we were just looking for someplace to go fishing" The point is I don't think its an ATV problem, I think its a people problem who have no respect for yu or your property which is why they feel they can ride all over it and throw garbage where they please cause they just don't care...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Big time, a lack of respect for the landowners by people in general . people are so bold nowadays . they have no respect or fear. It seems that many nowadays think that what is there's is there's and what belongs to someonelse is for everyone to do as they please.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts