New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday was my first morning at the camp this year, I slept in just cause I wanted to. Got up about 8 AM and looked out the front window to see a cow moose and 2 calves walking up the river in front of the camp..very cool. Took a couple of pics and put on my gear to go for a walk. Ran into the same 3 about 1/2 hour later feeding down the hydro line. First thought in my head..you guys are going to get yourselfs killed out in the open like that.... Next day went to check one of my tree stands and the 3 of them were feeding around it, okay they are like my little friends now, I took some video and I'll post it later. I wanted to check out another spot but didn't want to disturb them so I sat in the tree stand for awhile watching them. They wandered into a little swampy clearing where I couldn't see them anymore and then I see an orange hat about 300 yards away wandering down the trail towards me with the moose between him and me...The guy walks up behind some brush where I can't see him but I know he's about paralel to where the moose should be..I just had a really bad feeling about this and I knew what was going to happen. BANG...two shots real quick, Holy F*** the a##hole is shooting at the moose. I get my gear together, unload my rifle, climb out of the stand and start walking quickly down the trail..BANG another shot very close, I keep walking, I see one of the calves standing in the open, BANG,,another shot, I keep walking and theres buddy, on his knees trying to jam shells into the lever action he's carring.
I walked up about 10 feet from him and say " you'd better not be shooting at those moose" He friggin near came out of his shoes I scared him so bad, the guy stands up and indicates that he doesn't speak english. (lying bas$$$$) I'm thinking, I ask him again about the moose, he indicates no, he was shooting at a spike buck and I'm thinking bull....I indicate " did you hit him" and he makes a sign like a deer running away, I'm thinking no deer in the world would stand around while you throw 4 shots at him over that period of time and its a cedar swamp with all kinds of brush and cover. So while this is going on I have to let him know three times not to point his rifle at me and every time he points to the safety as if to say, its okay the safety is on...the guy is a complete mess, so I ask him in my poor french if he's going to look for the deer, he says no..it ran away, I got his name (maurice) and I got where his camp is although I've never seen him before its pretty handy, and I say lets go look together, knowing I'm going to find a dead moose, at this point he decides to leave, what could I do? Anyway I went and looked and couldn't find the moose but I did hear lots of commotion in the trees and I did see both calves but never saw the cow again so I was hopeful at this point that mayby he was just a really bad shot although range couldn't have been more than 40 yards
p.
After I stopped looking I went back out on the trail and found the first 2 shell casings...22-250..nice...Not only is the idiot not carrying enough gun for deer (in my opinion) he's using it to shoot moose. So I'm thinking he probably hit the cow but certainly not hard enough to put it down, at least not for a day or two, I have the shell casings and I'll let the crows lead me to the carcass in a few days. I'm reporting it and him to DNR but not much more I can do.
It just pisses my off that the first guy that sees the freaking moose has to start blasting like its some kind of a sin to let the thing be and I just knew it would happen and I wasn't disappointed. Hunters are there own worst enemy and I think this has just about ruined my whole season and its only day two.
There I've vented. thanks for listening and if anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them..although I'm officially off the grid for a few weeks now I'll pick this up when I can.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
holy crap that pisses me off too. I would have followed him out to his vehicle and got the license plate # and reported that too. That is assuming he would have been able to walk out to his vehicle URGH!

why are some people so stupid. Notice I used the word people instead of hunters. This kind of activity is not done by hunters...they are lazy poachers and somehow this needs to be stopped.
I probably can guess he would complain there is little deer around too.........wonder why

Daveyn - keep smiling man you did what you could and don't let it ruin your season, its not worth it

·
Registered
37 Posts
that is just sad, and the worst part is that the ethical hunter gets a bad name because of this.
Yesterday afternoon me and the girlfriend left the camp and went for a drive, she was looking in farmers field
and said what are all those crows doing in a bunch so i stopped the truck and looked with my binoculars and
there was a dead dow right in the middle of the field, so i decided to notify the farmer, talked to his wife and she
said they thought they heard a shot early that morning, they looked out and didnt't see nothing. So i am assuming some idiot
shot the deer and left it there. what a waste i thought to myself. Stuff like that just pisses me off.

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Keep your head up man ,you might just have saved the calves and maybe he will be given something later to make him think before he or his buddies do this again.He would not do it unless he was going to get help with a moose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
that is just sad, and the worst part is that the ethical hunter gets a bad name because of this.
Yesterday afternoon me and the girlfriend left the camp and went for a drive, she was looking in farmers field
and said what are all those crows doing in a bunch so i stopped the truck and looked with my binoculars and
there was a dead dow right in the middle of the field, so i decided to notify the farmer, talked to his wife and she
said they thought they heard a shot early that morning, they looked out and didnt't see nothing. So i am assuming some idiot
shot the deer and left it there. what a waste i thought to myself. Stuff like that just pisses me off.
Was that in the sussex area in back oof the post ash mine??
I seen some thinglike that a cow laying out strait in the middle of the field....

·
Registered
102 Posts
The woods is full of morons this time of year. It is really unbelievable and disheartening. I hope they nail this guy. The first time he pointed his gun at me I would have warned him, the second time I would have knocked him out and dealt with the consequences later. Sickening.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I wouldn't call him a hunter, just a poacher. Wouldn't be the first time I've head of people pretending they can't speak english.

A guy shoot a buck off the highway near home, within 400 meters of a house. There was snow down so you could see where he started into the clearing the buck was standing in and returned dragging him, to be far enough away from the house, one could not see into the clearing. DNR was called but the offender couldn't speak english, other hunters came along who were bilingual and they said even they couldn't hardly understand him in french. Long story short, wardens didn't feel any charges would stick if he couldn't understand the warden in english. They let him go with the buck....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No F^$#@%& wonder the deer population is low in my area, this crap happens too frequently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I was still back home (Newfoundland) and someone pulled a stunt like that they would lose their truck,guns,4-wheeler,licence for a long period of time and anything else that the person had with them at the time of the crime. We need to have a system like that up here so that people not hunters will think twice before pulling a stunt like that again, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update...this is in zone 18 just off the 112 in Harewood, see if you can find Harewood on the map lol. The DNR guy was pretty good. The called me back and I told them exactly what happened, gave them the directions to the camp and the make and model and color of the car. They went out to the camp and called me from there indicating that there was nobody there and no vehicles but they would keep checking back. They also told me to keep the shell casings and to let them know if I stumbled across the carcass. I tromped around some but haven't found anything and its a little early for the crows to be making a racket. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the 3 moose since then and I had been seeing them every day up until that point. I have to say the DNR guys were great and really not much they can do without the dead moose and I respect that. Just my word against his but at least he'll know people are watching now if he thinks about trying anything else funky.
Somebody commented about him having to get friends to help him with the moose if he actually got it and I have to say that this guy probably didn't think that far ahead. Just saw the moose and started blasting, probably had no idea what he was going to do with it if he had killed it, more than likely just walk away. Bad all around.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Update...this is in zone 18 just off the 112 in Harewood, see if you can find Harewood on the map lol. The DNR guy was pretty good. The called me back and I told them exactly what happened, gave them the directions to the camp and the make and model and color of the car. They went out to the camp and called me from there indicating that there was nobody there and no vehicles but they would keep checking back. They also told me to keep the shell casings and to let them know if I stumbled across the carcass. I tromped around some but haven't found anything and its a little early for the crows to be making a racket. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the 3 moose since then and I had been seeing them every day up until that point. I have to say the DNR guys were great and really not much they can do without the dead moose and I respect that. Just my word against his but at least he'll know people are watching now if he thinks about trying anything else funky.
Somebody commented about him having to get friends to help him with the moose if he actually got it and I have to say that this guy probably didn't think that far ahead. Just saw the moose and started blasting, probably had no idea what he was going to do with it if he had killed it, more than likely just walk away. Bad all around.
I bet I can find it on a map, I have a camp right in down town Harewood..

The moose population in that area have actually exploded in the last few years with all the new cuttings they've made. I saw the same huge Bull 4 times in the last week and a half up there, for a few days it seemed like every time I pulled my truck into that area, he popped out of the woods just to let me know he was still there. Of course, the days I didn't see him were the days I brought the camera with me. I took a few pictures with my iPhone, but they're little more than pictures of a chopping with a nice big brown blob in the middle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Saturday was my first morning at the camp this year, I slept in just cause I wanted to. Got up about 8 AM and looked out the front window to see a cow moose and 2 calves walking up the river in front of the camp..very cool. Took a couple of pics and put on my gear to go for a walk. Ran into the same 3 about 1/2 hour later feeding down the hydro line. First thought in my head..you guys are going to get yourselfs killed out in the open like that.... Next day went to check one of my tree stands and the 3 of them were feeding around it, okay they are like my little friends now, I took some video and I'll post it later. I wanted to check out another spot but didn't want to disturb them so I sat in the tree stand for awhile watching them. They wandered into a little swampy clearing where I couldn't see them anymore and then I see an orange hat about 300 yards away wandering down the trail towards me with the moose between him and me...The guy walks up behind some brush where I can't see him but I know he's about paralel to where the moose should be..I just had a really bad feeling about this and I knew what was going to happen. BANG...two shots real quick, Holy F*** the a##hole is shooting at the moose. I get my gear together, unload my rifle, climb out of the stand and start walking quickly down the trail..BANG another shot very close, I keep walking, I see one of the calves standing in the open, BANG,,another shot, I keep walking and theres buddy, on his knees trying to jam shells into the lever action he's carring.
I walked up about 10 feet from him and say " you'd better not be shooting at those moose" He friggin near came out of his shoes I scared him so bad, the guy stands up and indicates that he doesn't speak english. (lying bas$$$$) I'm thinking, I ask him again about the moose, he indicates no, he was shooting at a spike buck and I'm thinking bull....I indicate " did you hit him" and he makes a sign like a deer running away, I'm thinking no deer in the world would stand around while you throw 4 shots at him over that period of time and its a cedar swamp with all kinds of brush and cover. So while this is going on I have to let him know three times not to point his rifle at me and every time he points to the safety as if to say, its okay the safety is on...the guy is a complete mess, so I ask him in my poor french if he's going to look for the deer, he says no..it ran away, I got his name (maurice) and I got where his camp is although I've never seen him before its pretty handy, and I say lets go look together, knowing I'm going to find a dead moose, at this point he decides to leave, what could I do? Anyway I went and looked and couldn't find the moose but I did hear lots of commotion in the trees and I did see both calves but never saw the cow again so I was hopeful at this point that mayby he was just a really bad shot although range couldn't have been more than 40 yards
p.
After I stopped looking I went back out on the trail and found the first 2 shell casings...22-250..nice...Not only is the idiot not carrying enough gun for deer (in my opinion) he's using it to shoot moose. So I'm thinking he probably hit the cow but certainly not hard enough to put it down, at least not for a day or two, I have the shell casings and I'll let the crows lead me to the carcass in a few days. I'm reporting it and him to DNR but not much more I can do.
It just pisses my off that the first guy that sees the freaking moose has to start blasting like its some kind of a sin to let the thing be and I just knew it would happen and I wasn't disappointed. Hunters are there own worst enemy and I think this has just about ruined my whole season and its only day two.
There I've vented. thanks for listening and if anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them..although I'm officially off the grid for a few weeks now I'll pick this up when I can.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get this A friend of mine works in the wood running a porter well at the end of his shift he was loading his gear in his truck and fueling the porter for the next shift when he heard a gun shot close. He got in his truck and drove out in time to see a pickup driving off. he got out of his truck to look around to see what the person was shooting at and found a yearling bull laying in the clearcut wounded trying to get up and in alot of pain so he called the rangers and told them and then got his gun and put the moose out of his missery and waited for the rangers to get there. hen they got there they charged my friend for finishing of the moose and didn't even look for the person who shot it. The rangers were to lazy to try and find the real criminals.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I heard a story once about some army chaps from the base hitting a moose and mangling it up around Gagetown. They got out of the truck and shot him to put him out of his misery and the RCMP and DNR were all over them trying to hassle and charge them - as if the army guys didn't know how to handle a firearm safely or something!

Law enforcement officers are aiming for the low-hanging fruit more and more frequently. There are many good cops and wildlife officers, but your story shows just one example of a growing problem. It's become harder and harder to secure convictions against true crims, so law-abiding citizens are instead hassled over technicalities. See the "shirtless shotgunner" incident in Burton (reported in the Telegraph Journal this week) for a good example of this.

Having said that - if you're reading this and you're a hard-working law enforcement agent honestly working to put scumbags in jail, more power to you. I only wish you could nab them all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard a story once about some army chaps from the base hitting a moose and mangling it up around Gagetown. They got out of the truck and shot him to put him out of his misery and the RCMP and DNR were all over them trying to hassle and charge them - as if the army guys didn't know how to handle a firearm safely or something!

Law enforcement officers are aiming for the low-hanging fruit more and more frequently. There are many good cops and wildlife officers, but your story shows just one example of a growing problem. It's become harder and harder to secure convictions against true crims, so law-abiding citizens are instead hassled over technicalities. See the "shirtless shotgunner" incident in Burton (reported in the Telegraph Journal this week) for a good example of this.

Having said that - if you're reading this and you're a hard-working law enforcement agent honestly working to put scumbags in jail, more power to you. I only wish you could nab them all.
beleive me when i say that that LFAATC CGF Gagetown has a tolerance 0 for shooting wildlife on the ranges ....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts