New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if wearing camo while hunting coyotes is really necessary. Coyotes are similar to dogs (right?), so wouldn't they also be color blind? I don't have much camo hunting clothes and I don't know if I should bother buying any. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cammo works on all critters.
The combination of the right cammo and being still works the best.

Theres about 3 ways you might get a coyote without it.....

#1..Baitpile..will work best in combination with #2.

#2..Build a natural groundblind that you can get completely out of sight in and leave it alone for about a month for them to get used to it then sneak in and hunt.

#3..Get lucky and find a dumb/young coyote and shoot it from about 300+yds away as it is taking off...IF...you see it first.

They have alot of characteristics of dogs.
They look like dogs.
But...they are a heck of alot smarter than your average dog and most humans.
Most challenging critter we have in our woods to hunt successfully.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I could probably get out and get a ground blind built if the snow melts!

G

·
Camo isn't necessary if you have a good setup. But let's face it, anything camo is waaayyy cooler.
More important to consider a coyote's nose and to sit still.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There are videos out there of a guy calling coyotes right to him while wearing a Santa suit.
There's another one of a guy calling them in wearing a red bathrobe and a giant rabbit head.
Is camo necessary? No.
Does it help? Sure does!
Being still and working the wind is key.
The white sheet idea mentinoed above works well. And you can go to War Surplus and buy white pants and a nylon jacket shell for about $10 total. Use a magic marker to draw some branches on there if you like.
Those $300 snow camo suits look some good. But the only one they impress is you.
Just my .02$ CDN, with .03$ in change.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Not sure what the logic or science is behing this, but a friend once told me you can sit in front of a uniform colored sheet, doesn't matter if you're contrasted or not, and the coyote will not be able to pick you off? Something about the retinal cones of their vision scheme?

I was sitting in front of a giant grey boulder dressed in blaze orange some 10 years ago calling moose during hunting season. No action, but a coyote strolled in mid afternoon downwind and 200 yards away. I was sticking out like a sore thumb and let out a rabbit in distress call with my mouth for fun. This coyote came trotting in, jumped over my hunting boot, slowed to a stop a mere 10ft away (now upwind), caught my scent, turned 180 degrees and jumped over my right leg again and went back to where he came from....never knew I was there...one of the most memorable encounters I have had with a coyote in the woods.

Needless to say, I was absolutely dead still the whole time. I only started to chuckle when he turned his back on me

·
Registered
409 Posts
you can go to War Surplus and buy white pants and a nylon jacket shell for about $10 total. Use a magic marker to draw some branches on there if you like.
Those $300 snow camo suits look some good. But the only one they impress is you.
Cool idea on the marker.
I have a set from the surplus,also picked up some extra material and made a sock for my rifle.

I'm "impressed" with my $150 jacket/parka too...didn't bother with the pants for another $150
Just slip my cheapy surplus ones over whatever is warm enough

My jacket though ....
has many pockets, is reversible with another cammo inside (great for late fall) and mr it is a warm jacket that appears will last a while compared to some others stuff out there.
Great investment for me takin hikes with extra camera gear and hunting.....thats what I told the homefront Finance Minister anyway

Never even saw me slip in and out changing cards....

I think motion is the biggest factor so if what you're wearing blends in it's even better.
Bullseye that musta been too cool!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure what the logic or science is behing this, but a friend once told me you can sit in front of a uniform colored sheet, doesn't matter if you're contrasted or not, and the coyote will not be able to pick you off? Something about the retinal cones of their vision scheme?

I was sitting in front of a giant grey boulder dressed in blaze orange some 10 years ago calling moose during hunting season. No action, but a coyote strolled in mid afternoon downwind and 200 yards away. I was sticking out like a sore thumb and let out a rabbit in distress call with my mouth for fun. This coyote came trotting in, jumped over my hunting boot, slowed to a stop a mere 10ft away (now upwind), caught my scent, turned 180 degrees and jumped over my right leg again and went back to where he came from....never knew I was there...one of the most memorable encounters I have had with a coyote in the woods.

Needless to say, I was absolutely dead still the whole time. I only started to chuckle when he turned his back on me
Did ya shoot it????????????????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts