New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I made my own decoy weights using old truck tire lug nuts (big ones) filled them with lead (melted old tire weights) and put a wire loop out the top. I then covered them with big heat shrink, to keep them from scraping the decoys. I use a short piece of bungee cord between my decoy line and the weight and another cord loop off the end to hook over the end of the keel. Seems to work OK. Hope my description made some sense.

Bill G.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duxndogs,

I'll be visiting the show, I will most certainly take 2 to 3 dozen, I have used these style weights and they work awesome. The ones with the spring we purchased from Cabelas continually tangled, we cut the spring off drilled a hole and ran short bungees and that solved the problem. The newer ones no longer had the spring.

Chris Short

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duxndogs,

I'll be visiting the show, I will most certainly take 2 to 3 dozen, I have used these style weights and they work awesome. The ones with the spring we purchased from Cabelas continually tangled, we cut the spring off drilled a hole and ran short bungees and that solved the problem. The newer ones no longer had the spring.

Chris Short
Can you please post if you will be bringing these to the show and if you will save 2 dozen for me, or I will order them online this week and get expedited shipping, thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can get some J shaped decoy weights for a reasonable price in NB?

Like the ones here > Weights
So these were not available at the show when I was there last night. Does anyone know where I can order some of these from Canada? I can get them from Cabelas.com but the shipping is $40 for air, and I'm not sure that regular mail will get here before October 1. As well I may have to use the steel ones I cut but they have too many sharp edges on them. Is there a good plastic shrink wrap I can buy locally that will hold up for at least a season?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So these were not available at the show when I was there last night. Does anyone know where I can order some of these from Canada? I can get them from Cabelas.com but the shipping is $40 for air, and I'm not sure that regular mail will get here before October 1. As well I may have to use the steel ones I cut but they have too many sharp edges on them. Is there a good plastic shrink wrap I can buy locally that will hold up for at least a season?
Not sure where you looked at the show. Doiron's booth had several boxes on their shelf at the end of the night. As far as a plastic wrap, just get a can of the plasti-dip stuff at canadian tire. It's the liquid rubber that you use to coat tool handles, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure where you looked at the show. Doiron's booth had several boxes on their shelf at the end of the night. As far as a plastic wrap, just get a can of the plasti-dip stuff at canadian tire. It's the liquid rubber that you use to coat tool handles, etc.
It was so busy, I really only checked with duxndogs, and then looked for the other stuff on my list. Thanks for the suggestion about the plastic dip stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It was so busy, I really only checked with duxndogs, and then looked for the other stuff on my list. Thanks for the suggestion about the plastic dip stuff.
Darn shame really that they were not available in time for the show . I will post up when they are in case some may want some

·
Registered
283 Posts
Darn shame really that they were not available in time for the show . I will post up when they are in case some may want some
Ed, how far off of Hwy 102 is your store? I'm trying to arrange for someone to pick them up from your store on the way by. What would the address be so I can lookm it up on Google maps.

Thanks
Bill G.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Bill - not far off the 102 at all - its the Milford exit 9 turn off -hang a left and down to the Sterling Apples -hang a right and stay straight for about 7-10 Km - there will be a lantz sign and then im the very first left 18 robert scott drive - one should always call first 1-902-499-9707.
I wish I had an update on the decoy weights but dont - hopefully the season wont be over by the time I get them
fingers crossed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts