New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got a side a beef the other day, cause its cheaper than a deer at about 200$ a lb...lol...anyway made a batch of jerky, went to put it on one of my dehydrators and started it, and burnt the electric motor.So my question is to the other jerky makers is how to dehydrate it in a conventional oven?

·
Registered
6 Posts
i make oven jerky all time , i place my meat product on baking racks commonly used for cooling bread , muffins etc, and place in oven at lowest setting available for 10-12 hours works just as well as a dehydrator.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I make a lot of it and I use the Hi Mountain mix, you can buy it at princess auto in Moncton, they have assorted flavors, you have to marinate your meat for 24 hrs and then in the oven for about 1.5 hour depending on how you like your jerky. best mix that I have found so far. P.S. this mix should come with a warning because you can't stop eating it. B)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I do mine in my toaster oven, however, if I were to make a big batch, I would also use the oven. Lowest temparature for a few hours. I get the spices for it at Home Hardware.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
stick a wooden spoon in over door so the mosture can excape. I use this all the time and turns out great

Set oven to 170 and 7-8hrs later tasty jerky. I try to cut my steaks as thin as possible

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks guys, got them in now, and does the house ever smell good...the ones in my other dehydrator are finishing up, I have already eatin all the small pieces, quality control ya know....lol.Kids are hovering like vultures on a carcass.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
stick a wooden spoon in over door so the mosture can excape. I use this all the time and turns out great

Set oven to 170 and 7-8hrs later tasty jerky. I try to cut my steaks as thin as possible
X2 ..

·
Registered
480 Posts
You probably already know this, but a good way to cut your meat thin is to have it partially frozen first, and then slice away.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You guys are all JERKS. Now I've gotta start making oven jerky.... off to Home Hardware to buy some spices

·
Registered
726 Posts
You probably already know this, but a good way to cut your meat thin is to have it partially frozen first, and then slice away.
if you have a electric meat slicer this works awesome. take a roast and shave it on the slicer. My fingers are already starting to swell from the salt. lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Couple of tips:

Lay the strips out on parchment paper on a tray. You can do up to 3 trays at a time this way and it is really easy to clean up.

The other technique I have used a couple of times is to use christmas ornament wire hangers and hang the meat from the top rack. It is a lot more work but works well.

Lastly, I make my own marinade: Soy sauce, montreal chicken spice from the grocery store, cheap barbecue sauce.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts