New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone can post pictures of live bears that they know the weights of. Lots of "experts" out there, just looking for some facts

·
Registered
925 Posts
An Ontario outfitter is claiming these weights for the bears pictured. Im no expert but I really dont think so!

550lbs

Troy550lb8x10_zpsb89aa02b.jpg

410 dressed

Rick410lbBear2012_zps0b665c5c.jpg

650 dressed

TrophyBlackBear650lbdressedpreview_zpsf5

·
Registered
196 Posts
This seems to be a topic which keeps coming up, and obviously bear sizes are difficult to judge from a stand and from photos, arranged so the animal looks larger then it actually is...although dont want to sound like an expert..lol.I find when you hang a bear like these ones are it stretch's them out making them look taller then they are.So why dont we as a group, whoever harvests a bear, takes real measurements such as weight, paw size and compare it to things we may have on us in the woods such as compare paw size to a bic lighter, and actual pics of the bear next to standard size things.I know the first bear I shot I thought was a monster when he walked in, shot him and carried him out on my shoulder...lol.Just an idea and didnt mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Haha they are tricky for sure especially for fairly new bear hunters like myself. There are the obvious monsters but it's those bears that hit 200 and up that can be tricky to judge. I found a study on mesurements but it was hard to follow. It would be neat to start compiling data from bears we harvest over the years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts