New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of great stories about Moms and Dads hunting with their Daughters / Sons, they truly are memories to cherish for many years to come. I'm previliged to have a few myself. Both my Daughter and my Son (ages 14 and 12) love being in the woods, regardless if it's bear, deer, or birds we're hunting, they want to be there. My Daughter has been after me to get her registered for a hunter safety course and unfortunatley, there have not been any local ones available. My Son is born in December so he will be two years from getting his minors licence. I am a firm believer that the sooner we get them involved, the higher the chance they are going to gain an interest and remain in the sport. There has been much debate over the age registrictions for youth to begin being able to hunt small game as well as whitetail deer. My fear is that my kids,their friends (they each rotate bringing a friend when they come with me)and many other kids are going to lose interest in hunting due to the lack of courses / ability to hunt game at a younger age etc.If anyone is aware of any groups or associations in the Province that is encouraging or working towards this initiative,I would appreciate the info. I am willing to dedicate some of my time to assist where I can.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I completely understand what you are saying but I also think that an untapped segment of our population(aged 30-40) is not being targetted and in my opinion, is the catalyst of keeping our youth involved.I would love to see more courses geared to adults, that show them the ins and outs of hunting.

Quite often, alot of people who are in this age group had an interest in hunting but didn't have anyone to take them, thus did not become involved. I think that the current focus on youth is important but if they do not have anyone to take them out, interest is quickly lost.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think you both have very good points on something that, in my mind is the most important topic on this sight. Getting others involved in hunting and keeping the sport alive.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I agree 14 is not right. I started hunting in Maine when I was 10 and thats for anything legal. The best response I can give is take them to Maine or some other place where they can hunt earlier. Its a hunting trip for you and the kids. I plan on taking my daughter to New Hampshire in a few years to hunt. No minimum age there to hunt. NB needs to change some things on the age limits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts