New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well been after this bear and a few others over the last few years, There is still one biggger one at the bait but I have come to accept that he is as close to unkillable as it gets, For me anyways. Thursday evening I got into stand around 630. Climbed up and dug in for the sit, Shortly after sitting I decided to stand up to strecth the legs probably around 720, and wouldnt ya know it my backtension release fell to the ground. Pissed off I climbed down and got it then back up to the tree figured I screwed myself up for the night. Very slow evening with nothing but a skunk in the bait till about 9pm. I seen what looked to be a nice size sow come up the bear trail up hill straight to the bait, She beggan to try to get the logs out of the whole and made some nice racket. 10 minutes after I herd a snap off to her left and a nice size bear cruzed by the bait on a tear, never looked at me the bait or the sow, never even slowed down. I thought it was one of the decent size bears 260-280 ish. Off he went and the sow kept feeding. About 10 minutes went by and all of a sudden I herd the familiar sound of the big boar growling and chasing the other bears off. He has done it to me for 3 years now. We he wants to come to the bait early in the night he usually shows up about half hour before dark and walks the perimeter and keep any and everything out of the area, never comes close enough for a shot. Ive tried it all ground blind moved stand 2 men in 1 man out, everything nothing works. So I fiugred I was in for another night of the same. But a few minutes after he ran the other bears off I herd a snap behind me and the sow looked in that direction. I stood up on my hang on and spun around. It was the 260-280 pounder, rite the I planned on shooting him to get this long season over, With no shooting lanes cut behind me it was hard to find a spot, I drew back and followed the bear for 30-40 feet, we all of a sudden I herd a snap just under my stand towards the barrel. I turned my head still at full draw and seen the head of the Ghost at about 5 yards. I let down and changed my mind about shooting the other boar. He walked like a boss towards the smaller boar and the let a huge growl and took off on the charge towards the other bear. Wouldnt of been 5 feet away we that sound came out of him sent shivers up my spine. The smaller boar took off like a cub. The big fella walked in behind my stand at about 20 yards, I drew and followed him in hopes of getting a clear shot. I found a nice little window about 6 inches by a foot rite on the path he was heading I thought about whistling to get him to stop there but I honestly cant remeber if I did or not. But he stoped offering a perfect shot at that opening. Getting pretty dark I had a hard time picking a spot and lifted my head off the peep a few times to make sure I was on the rite spot. I herd the click of my backtension and then I pulled threw the shot. OFF he took like a bullet. I herd the trees snapping and figured I made the shot, but I didnt hear any moan. I wait a minute or two and got down only to be starring a few other bears in the face I made some noise and off they went. I went rite over to the spot where he stood and my light dies. I couldnt find anything it was dark no arrow no blood nothing. So I backed out thinking I might of missed the bear. I had a very long sleepless night and woke up around 4 and headed to bear country. I walked into the stand and check camera all other bears were back in and as soon as 20 after 10. I walked over to where I thought the bear was and bam arrow barried into the ground and the vanes covered in blood. That was it last bit of blood I seen it poored rain all night and all morning. I followed a few skuffs in the moss and then nothing. Walked the area and finally stumbled on my bear. Made a perfect double lung and had himself barried in the thick stuff. I tried to turn him and soon realized I would need backup and lots of it. Called my crew in and they where on the way good way to start work on a friday morning. We had just hirred a guy thursday night and this was his first morning Im sure he is still wondering what the hell he has got himself into. It took the best of 4 men to get him out of the woods and in the truck. Took and got him registered and then off to the scales. 391 the scale read as the bear lifted off my truck. I later checked the scale to my weight and with me being around 248 the scale read high at 255, So in playing it safe im calling the bear between 370-390. I rough scored the skull today and looks to be arround 19 8/16

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
PM'd ya

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
AA's pics (Nice bear, congrats)

Adams_bear_kill_2014_853.jpg

Adams_bear_kill_2014_857.jpg

Adams_bear_kill_2014_871.jpg

bearrr_2014.jpg

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Congrats on an archery kill of a lifetime. Got my first one with the bow this year and it's a special feeling.

Make sure to register your trophy with the New-Brunswick Big Game Club. No doubt he will qualify LOL!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Ive shot a few with the bow now but this is the biggest. He will be going into the book for sure. I have 2 others to put in as well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great bear. Pretty face. Congrats!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts