New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks for the link greyghost.

Been awhile since I've read about the Benoits!
I have one of Lanny's books from the mid 70's...How to tag the biggest buck of your life I think it's called.
Interesting book!
They certainly are a family that enjoys hunting!!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Thanks GG,

Not the first time I read it and I always find refreshing in this commercialized Whitetail world we now live in.

Going over our week long hunt with my hunting buddies during Xmas break, we started a discussion on how we never see any hunting shows where the hunter shoots, injures, and has difficulties and / or it becomes impossible to recover the deer. Instead, there's either a dead deer all neatly positionned for the camera crew at the end of the trail, or a scenario like "it was a great hunt, but we never got the opportunity we were looking for"....

For once, I would like to see a show where a hunter shoots and doesn't recover a deer, this is sadly a very realistic part of hunting that is all but too often left out on editing. I have only injured one whitetail buck that I have never recovered, but I have been on 3 or 4 whitetail hunts and I have been called upon to help friends track injured whitetails in 25 years of hunting, so I'm pretty confident this is a part of hunting that should be further discussed.

Think about it, what better way to teach the do's and don't s of shot placement, waiting it out and best tracking techniques than actually making an interesting show about it?

The "killers" wouldn't like it, but certainly the hunters would?...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interesting point Bullseye, and though I agree with you that it does happen occasionally, and showing the odd hunt like this would reflect reality, I imagine that if they showed any amount of it on hunting shows there would be holy hell to pay from anti hunting groups, hunters maiming and injuring poor defenseless animals. You would likely also get flack from some hunters.

GG - thanks for the link, Benoit articles always make for good reading.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Thanks GG,

Not the first time I read it and I always find refreshing in this commercialized Whitetail world we now live in.

Going over our week long hunt with my hunting buddies during Xmas break, we started a discussion on how we never see any hunting shows where the hunter shoots, injures, and has difficulties and / or it becomes impossible to recover the deer. Instead, there's either a dead deer all neatly positionned for the camera crew at the end of the trail, or a scenario like "it was a great hunt, but we never got the opportunity we were looking for"....

For once, I would like to see a show where a hunter shoots and doesn't recover a deer, this is sadly a very realistic part of hunting that is all but too often left out on editing. I have only injured one whitetail buck that I have never recovered, but I have been on 3 or 4 whitetail hunts and I have been called upon to help friends track injured whitetails in 25 years of hunting, so I'm pretty confident this is a part of hunting that should be further discussed.

Think about it, what better way to teach the do's and don't s of shot placement, waiting it out and best tracking techniques than actually making an interesting show about it?

The "killers" wouldn't like it, but certainly the hunters would?...
I just finished watching a new dvd I got, Best of Realtree Road Trips 7 and Miranda Lampert put a bad arrow shot on a deer and they found it 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for the link GG.........always enjoy reading about these guys.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Great read, GG. I tend to agree with the Benoit way of thinking and hunting. I'm not big on Boone& Crocket scoring or treestands. Where I live many guys have put up permanent treestands and put apples out. I could care less about the apples but they tend to think the treestand gives then exclusive rights to the area. On one power line there is a treestand every span for about 4 miles. They are owned by a bunch of brothers who try to keep everyone away. If they put as much time into hunting as they did constructing outhouses in trees they would probably be better off. LOL

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Interesting point Bullseye, and though I agree with you that it does happen occasionally, and showing the odd hunt like this would reflect reality, I imagine that if they showed any amount of it on hunting shows there would be holy hell to pay from anti hunting groups, hunters maiming and injuring poor defenseless animals. You would likely also get flack from some hunters.

GG - thanks for the link, Benoit articles always make for good reading.
That's ok, just send the anti-hunting activist to me and I'll take 'em on a tour at the local slaughter house. I'm sure they'll be enligthened...

I like to know what the meat in my plate has been thru, and how it's been taken care off.

My wife says I'm a PETA member;

P eople who

E at

T asty

A nimals

1 - 10 of 10 Posts