New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today closes the last day. I must say after seeing dozens of does, a small spike and a lot of fawns, it was a good season even without a buck to show for it. I was hunting in Stanley today, and just before close time, a young fawn or yearling comes out with a limp like he had been shot in the rear. Most certainly not gonna make it through the winter. Just wanna remind all those hunters that don't always "think before they shoot". Make sure your gonna hit it. Make sure it's a buck or antlerless if you got one, and don't shoot them when their practically suckin on the titty still. Leave the buttons and the spikes alone or we're not gonna have a dear season at all in New Brunswick anymore. Here's to another good year!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea it sure was fun. I didn't see too many deer but being my first season hunting I didnt expect to see any really. Im already looking forward to next fall. But now that the season is over I can still take the ol shot gun for a walk and scope out new spots instead of freezing my a$$ off in a stand

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spent the last day 'hunting' in my car...driving the backroads really. Nothing to show for it but this was my 2nd year and I learned alot.

Time to warm up the 410 and get some bird for the 'fricot'.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Didn't see squat today but Thursday was a really unique experience! Went for a little stroll to warm up and upon doing a loop though this section of woods, I was coming up over a ridge and saw a black object moving rather fast. It came closer to me and it was a bear about 30 yards away and within ten seconds of seeing the bear, I doe took off and it wasn't that far from where the bear was first seen!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have to that the first 6 weeks and 5 days of the season were uneventful until 9:45 this morning when I killed the biggest buck of my life. I got to shoot a really nice 8 point( with one busted tine
), it was the first set of antlers that I have seen this year. I have to thank my father in law for letting me sit in one of his spots though.
It has been a very happy day for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Had a productive day. Saw a fawn in the morning. Sat all day except for one hour when I went back to the truck and warm up a bit. Went back in and sat til dark. Saw 2 fawns come out about 15 minutes to go. Found a nice big rub right in front of the stand from last night.

He didn't show himself. But at least it was nice seeing some promising sign of things to come for that small piece of ground. I passed on 4 different bucks and hope they all make it for next year.

All in all the season wasn't bad. But the weather sure was. What a pisspot of rain. And windy. Reminds me of 2000 when we had 21 days with rain.

I'll be going hard with cameras and apples the next few weeks and hopefully will be able to post some photos before they drop their racks.

I plan on doing some bowhunting next fall when I get my shoulder fixed up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a great season, even tho no buck, a week ago I had a chance at a beauty but he never gave me a shot. Today was by far the most interesting, at 930 i had a doe and kid come in to take off running and blowing for no apparent reason when 5 min later a coyote came through full tilt, i couldnt get a good bead on him but i ripped one over him in hopes he might change his mine about chasing the doe and her fawn. After that i headed to a big cedar swamp to still hunt in the snow and saw a small spike but i decided ill get him next year when he gets a little older, and from 3pm-the last few minutes i spent in a hardwood stand and i had 7 different deer come through, one kid that bedded down close enough i thought about laying beside her to get warm lol it was quite a day in the woods especially with the dry calm morning, the wind and snow of the afternoon and then the sun came out for the last hour of the day..couldnt ask for much more....now to warm up with a drink and some tag soup

·
Registered
531 Posts
Had a great season! But it's tag soup for me too!

Yesterday was a slow day. Sat in the stand all morning. Saw nothing other than a partridge that kept walking under the stand. Went to truck to warm up..back to stand. At 2 decided to hit the ground. Walked the ridge I had been watching all morning found some fresh tracks in the snow. On the way out at dark had a doe cross trail in front of me. She stopped. I stopped. Just for fun I opened truck door, she stayed there. I got out of truck...she stayed there. lol Got back in truck & waited for her to decide which way she wanted to go then headed home!

Saw lots of game this year, just no bucks except the one I almost smoked with the jeep before sunrise one morning.
Saw tons of does.
Lots of moose....even got to watch a bull & cow play the teasing mating game. lol
Had a close encounter with a bear.
Blasted a coyote.

Although no buck for me, wouldn't trade it for the world! Definitely had a fun season!!!! Watching game and going un-noticed is "almost" as rewarding as getting that big one....almost!! haha

Sure wish we would've gotten this snow a day earlier!! This morning would've been a fun morning of tracking!

·
Registered
8 Posts
No luck.....snow was really coming down hard in Carelton County....but it came around 9am....prefer it to be on the ground at daybreak for finding the tracks...what was really odd was I never saw one sign of a buck all season long....in total I seen 7 different does but not a scrape or a rub to be found....I have herd of people finding signs north and south of me but it seemed like there were no bucks in my large area I hunt....stil gonna look for them for the next couple of weeks just to see if I can get a photo or two before it gets to cold....I still enjoyed the hunting this year even thought I was unsuccessful and to all of you that were successful this year Congrats! and thanks for posting your pictures it keeps me motivated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did not see the buck that I wanted. But, for about an hour or so I had a lot of fun with a spike horn. He came in to about 20 yards from where I was sitting on the ground. After about 10 min. of browsing he walked off. Just as he would go out of sight, I blew in to the doe bleet tube that I have very softly, and he would come right back to me. It kept me quite entertained for a while and was suprised that he would come so close to me, never discovering that I was there, as I was on the ground.

Also seen a martin who was as curious of me as I was of him and a few does.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
here is my last day story
At 7:45 I caught movement and instantly got ready and quickly realized that it was a buck. It was barrelling down the hydro line at about 350 yards heading my way. I had the safety off and ready to shoot as soon as he stepped broadside and all of a sudden he bursts to my left into the woods and I had no chance of getting off a shot.
I replayed this scenerio in my head all morning second guessing my decision no to shoot and finally came to terms with the realization that I did the proper thing. I really didn't have a good shot as he was about 300yards away and cruizing at a pretty good pace and I was never really presented with a decent shot and in 2 steps he was in the woods. I just needed him to slow a bit and turn broadside but it never happened.

Oh well thats part of the game I guess. Biggiest buck I have ever seen and the 1st time I have seen a buck on the last day. Hope he survices the day and winter ahead cause he will be massive next season.

All in all it was a decent season and I seen 4 deer the last week and my wife tagged out a a very nice doe which I am very proud of her.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good season passed on little 5 pointer had two does at stand a couple times a day every day this week. I had pics of the bucks the week before and prob will have more later this week. I think it is time to lower the yote population

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yesterday was the best day weather wise of the past week and I did take a 6 pointer at 830 AM.
I decided to go to a stand we had built in late summer. Of course in the big woods, the breeze always seems to swirl around, so I doused myself with some Tinks and still hunted towards my stand.
Take a few steps then doe bleat and repeat, that's how it went. I stopped to check a mock scrape and heard something scuffling around in the leaves about 100 yards away, after 15 mins, it finally left. So I continued on and a short ways from my stand I heard something walking on the other side of the knoll. I thought I heard a horn against a tree, so I stopped and doe bleated twice. I was behind a big spruce and the buck came over the knoll towards me I saw 3 pts on top, so I figured an eight point. (But no brow tines) He kept coming right to me and when I stepped out from behind the tree and he was only 40 ft. away. And the rest is history. I had found 15 rubs near my stand and it looked like there were 2 bucks hanging around as some rubs were on small saplings and the rest were on larger maples. So we'll see what the post season scouting reveals.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was thinking of putting my tag in the slow cooker with some veggies....try some a lil diff...haha...great season even with now deer. Spent a few weekends at the camp with dad drinking a few rums....spent lots of time in the woods. Seen a few moose, coyotes and bears. Got pics of deer, bears & coyotes. All in all a great season.....looking forward to next year as my food plot will be ready and will be working on a few smaller ones in the woods!! NOw back to duck/goose hunting & then to start coyote hunting!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hunted the whole day on Friday without seeing a deer. So , I convinced the wife to watch the kids for 2 hrs before dark on the last day so I could hunt a stand that is a couple of hundred yards out back of the house. I did not see a thing while in the stand. However, I found out in the snow later that there was a buck and a doe that crossed our driveway right in front of the house while I was on the stand. I think they may have been laughing a bit.. but I can't be sure from the tracks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts